Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GX80, GX85, or even GX7 Mark II in Japan
  • 417 Replies sorted by
  • The GM1's battery (BLH 7E) works perfectly with the GX80. I got 55mn of 4k recording from it. It's thinner than the original one so obviously you have to slip a piece of folded paper so it doesn't move inside the battery compartment. No malfunctions in normal use.

• What a lovely, capable and stealthy camera this is! It has completely replaced my GH3 + GM1 combo since it is a perfect blend of what made those 2 models so enjoyable, combining the best of each one and adding some very welcome improvements (specially the in-body stabilization).

I wrote a full analysis of the camera with lots of pictures taken in different countries with it along the last three months, check it out here: http://gonzalobroto.blogspot.com/2016/09/on-names-and-choices-review-of-lumix.html

• Nice shots @Gonzalo . How do you like the new L Monochrome color profile?

• Wish there was a way to add CineD to this cam....

• So with you on that DrDave I got used to it with my G7 using Balazers LUTS and was very happy. Really seems such a petty thing to leave off.

• Can someone test if the AE-lock and AF-lock works during video recording in GX85? I mean can you toggle AF/AE-lock on-off-on-off while video recording runs.

It is not working in GH4.

• @vesku yeah, the AE/AF lock was driving me crazy, i.e. I also had real trouble getting it to work.

The catch seems to be to check ALL the MENU settings for AE/AF to make sure they are doing what you need. There are at least three to check: 1) ae/af: lock or no-lock ... I picked lock so I don't have the ridiculous task of holding down a tiny button... 2) check that both ae and af are effected, not just one or other 3) turn OFF continuous auto focus

Whew. Now it seems to work. This is especially important when using the kit-zoom which is the first lens I have ever owned that HAS NO focus ring. Whowouldathought such a thing would ever be invented (and then sold)...

• @tron got my Smallrig cage today that you gave us the heads up on. Seems very nice in general only complaint is it is very difficult getting to the front dial as the cage is in the way. You can just barely get finger high enough to turn it from the front a little easier from the top but not ideal. Considering the preorder price I can live with it.

• For any number of reasons, including balance, aesthetics and hybrid IS, the GX85 pairs nicely with the 42.5/1.7.

persimmon.jpg
    4532 x 3408 - 1M
    G Alto focus.jpg
    4592 x 3448 - 1M
  • @Scot Just got my cage yesterday. You're right about the front dial. I only use the rear dial for aperture changes, so its a non-issue for me. For $40 I'm completely blown away by the quality and fitment of the cage. I'm going to pick up a handle for the top rail so I can try out some low angle shots with the 5-axis IBIS and see how usable the footage is.

• A few photos from this camera with the Lumix 42.6/1.7

Bird of Paradise 2016.jpg
    4592 x 3448 - 873K
    Poppy GX85 2016.jpg
    3588 x 2724 - 1M
    Japanese Maple Musashino.jpg
    4308 x 2840 - 1M
  • New firmware

Panasonic today announces a free firmware update (v1.1) for the LUMIX DMC-GX80, further enhancing the camera’s performance by adding the Focus Stacking function.

Taking a single macro photo with specific areas in focus can sometimes be difficult. Focus Stacking enables users to take multiple images of the same frame with different areas in focus, then combine all or selected focus areas into one image.

The firmware update also adds other improvements to enhance the operability of the LUMIX DMC-GX80. The Focus Bracket menu now has a Sequence function, which allows users to set the bracket images to be shot farther and closer from the initial focus position, or farther away. Also, Flash Mode can be set to forced-off when using a built-in flash.

The DMC-GX80 firmware v1.1 is available for free at the LUMIX Customer Support website:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/

• if anyone can find the exact site (file) for new firmware, please put it here... i cant find it!

• Must be not released for now.

• Focus stacking works great. There are some artefacts, but that is to be expected. You can export individual frames and restack them, if desired. In a traditional stack, the lemon would be problematic--round, with a diffuse color on the edges. Difficult to photograph with just a plain image. Here the lemon is handled very well, there are some edge problems with the origami elephant and the slight curve of the stamp roll. These objects test any kind of camera, and this is a really tough scene to stack, so the quick and easy stack did a good job. You can see some smearing of the bricks above the lemon, but the sharpness is impressive and competes with professional focus stacking software.

Smurf auto stack.jpg
    3104 x 1908 - 658K
  • Just grabbed one of these as my first 4k camera. How a quick test to get a feel for the stabiliser/rolling shutter etc. First section of the following vid was shot handheld on a canon fd 50mm lens ! Super stable considering, also used a tiffen black pro mist 1/4 and a low con for that part. The second (football) part was a canon fd 24mm with the pro mist but without the low con. Shot using natural with only sharpness and noise reduction changed to -5.

I'm happy with the footage (light grading using filmconvert) but not yet sure if I will film my next short on it or will pick up a blackmagic micro cinema camera.

I found the stabiliser very effective for mimicking a tripod and small movements, (better than Sony) but a bit jumpy with some pans and larger movement (more so than Sony)