Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Tron

It is encoding chip for special purposes, they are not usually used in cameras.

Much more complex integrated chips are used.

• @endotoxic Based on that press release it sounds like the Main10 profile (10 bit 4:2:2) can now be achieved with high efficiency and at relatively low power levels. I was worried we'd see yet another iteration of the AVC codec, now I'm a bit less concerned. If we get an HEVC 10 bit codec at 100-150 Mbps, I'll be ecstatic. My fingers are crossed that they won't cripple this camera for the sake of keeping the Varicam line on a pedestal.

• @Tron

MB86M31 has support for UHD no 4KDCI.

i think its for future products of less range could work very well.

• Check it out... this Panasonic-Fujitsu developed HEVC LSI encoder could be the basis for capturing the GH5's speculated 4K 60P and it supports 10 bit 4:2:2! http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/socionext-starts-sampling-of-4k60p-hevc-video-encoder-chip-new-mb86m31-delivers-major-performance-boost-for-real-time-4k60p-video-encoding-300060738.html

• so let's wait for The Ultra HD 4k HDR Premium Bluray and TV compatible camera:

3840x2160, 24p, 25p, 30p, 60p,

Rec. 2020 color gamut

HEVC 120Mbps datarate in 4k + H246 200Mbps datarate in 4k

internal recording 10 bits 4:2:0 color, HDR and Dolby Vision Compatible

5.1 audio recording,5.1 mic input.

Hopes for a sensor not so small, maybe the m43 multiaspect sensor like GH1 and GH2 with 21,6mm diagonal.

• @Brig: You are talking about http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10103/why-arri-wont-build-4k-cameras-in-the-near-future-in-german/p1 - that was only 2 years ago.

At the time he was giving that interview Arri most certainly already worked on the Alexa 65, a "6.5k" camera, so he was dishonest to some extent. Of course it's good for Arri that they didn't totally miss the "more than 2k"-bandwagon, they just entered a little late.

He certainly had a point that resolution is not quite everything, but even now that "HDR", "bt.2020" and such are supported in some TVs and have entered the marketing stage the vast majority of TV buyers do understand that "4k means more resolution" but at the same time do not understand what these HDR and bt.2020 things are about.

• Haha Its funy that you say that... Few years ago, when there was all this frenzy about 4K, one of the Arri big wigs gave an interview in a magazin (FILM AND VIDEO I believe it was), where he was basicly defending a stand of his company from attacts of media etc... He basicly said: for now Arri is not gonna focus on 4K because we believe that we should work on and improove other stuff, DR, codecs, reliability etc.because our ingeneers think thats more important part of the picture then just mere resolution." Others started accusing him and ridicule his words, and look where are we today?! 4 years after the interview we are asking for things he said we shoulf work on...it took consumers 4 years to figure out what manufacturer knew before. Thats a looooooot of time in digital era. Enough to destroy company or bankrupt a user. And now they are starting a same old crap with 6K, 8K... They still didn't figured a skin tone and proper white balance but they wanna show the imperfections ih Higher resolution!?!?!

• Eh! The gh5 really needs to just be released. We are using cameras differently now, dynamic range really is becoming something that is needed. 15 stops is just too useful! (Even for corporate may I add! Corporate drone footage.)

• If panasonic people do read this thread, then I would like to encourage them to keep doing the nonsense they do and put out GH5 the way they imagined, without listening to our feedback and what users need and want!

That way they will have a new camera on the market that nobody in their right mind will by so my GH4 can gain value on the used market where I can sell it for decent amount and move to something better then this m43 push and pull carrot scheme.

• People don't get that the camera companies in Japan are part of Japan Inc. That the "competition" among them does not exist. They are one entity and Japan dictates how they operate for the good of the whole country. That is Reality 101, circa 2016.

• The Japanese business mindset does not make any sense to me. They have their strongest competitor making their sensors with no recourse???

Well, no one told you that not all people think same thoughts? Or do things not the same?

So I might as well throw in the towel and bow down to Sony.

It is just different. Instead of formal merger that must occur due to economics laws Japanese are doing many merger like things.

It is capitalism, and making modern complex large sensors and getting profits requires scale.

So, it is not idealism (they should), but materialism (that they can do).

Nikon should partner up with Samsung and have them build the sensors.

Samsung do not make longer any big sensors as I know.

• "They are not competing with Sony. Japanese camera makers are usually parts of huge groups - zaibatsu and all of zaibatsu are cross linked and tightly knitted with government.

All FF sensors will be provided by Sony. So, maximum you can get is to be like Nikon or Pentax. Get sensors with delays."

So I might as well throw in the towel and bow down to Sony. Nikon should partner up with Samsung and have them build the sensors. The Japanese business mindset does not make any sense to me. They have their strongest competitor making their sensors with no recourse??? I would form some type of alliance with Samsung in regards to the sensors.

I am sure their is more to it then meets the eye though.

• On the topic of GH5. At this point everybody is speculating on what the specs will be in regards to the GH5. The most interesting thing to me about this camera is the potential to be an awesome HYBRID camera. This is what I am truly hoping for a HYBRID camera that will be great for stills and video.

Ok what makes an awesome stills/video camera???? Everybody has different needs and wants but hopefully every body can agree on the importance of a noise free image no? Hopefully every body can agree that having a 2-3 times crop can be problematic at times no? Flip side sometimes the 2-3 times crop can come in handy but mainly for sports or nature photography/videography.

Now if the Panasonic decided to sell another subset of interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras strictly for video that would be a different story. Then they could reduce the pixel size to the minimum amount required for 4K video etc which would in turn give dramatically better lowlight performance even with the M4/3 format. Then if Panasonic decided to sell said camera in the $1000-1700 price point I am sure they would sell the cameras in droves. This however is not the case and I am assuming that the Panasonic GH5 will be competing against Sony in the $1800-$2700 segment which IMO will be very difficult to say the least.

I am rooting for Panasonic and would love to see them succeed but at the very least they need to keep up with the competition in regards to the particular segments that they are trying to compete in.

• So this is not just a video centric comment, this comment is competing with Sony as a whole in this particular segment.

They are not competing with Sony. Japanese camera makers are usually parts of huge groups - zaibatsu and all of zaibatsu are cross linked and tightly knitted with government.

All FF sensors will be provided by Sony. So, maximum you can get is to be like Nikon or Pentax. Get sensors with delays.

• To make all of their cameras full frame and abandon the M4/3 format does not make any sense at all.... I agree with that statement. However adding a full frame mirrorless to their current line up makes a lot of sense to me. I agree that each tool has its own use but Panasonic still needs to keep up with the competition and at this point that would be the 800 pound gorilla called SONY.

Panasonic brings a lot to the game. The G series of cameras G7, G8, and GH4 all come in at a super low price point considering what those cameras bring to the table. That being said they may lose out in the $1000-$2500 price point because Sony is really bringing the heat on in that segment. In the $1000-$2500 segment it seems as though Sony is giving everybody mostly what they want at a reasonable price point.

So to me what makes the most sense is for Panasonic to keep the current M/43 format but also add a full frame mirrorless system to their lineup to compete with Sony. The reason I say full frame is for the still imaging side. They need to compete with Sony not just on the video side but on the still imaging side as well.

So this is not just a video centric comment, this comment is competing with Sony as a whole in this particular segment. Now if the GH5 was strictly a video camera then I don't think that it would be relevant but that is not the case.

• Care to elaborate on your reasoning why it is super stupid? Please enlighten me....

I did already multiple times. Each tool has it's use.

And believe me as the guy who did multiple contests (and will do this year) and checked huge number of usual work that FF does not help most people. Unfortunately.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Care to elaborate on your reasoning why it is super stupid? Please enlighten me....

• Truthfully, if Sony came out with a D810 sized mirrorless body that doesn't overheat I would be all over it and sell my GH4.

Well, bad for ya. As idea to make all full frame is super stupid.

• I agree with this guy. Truthfully, if Sony came out with a D810 sized mirrorless body that doesn't overheat I would be all over it and sell my GH4. Panasonic should at least consider having a full frame mirrorless in addition to the m4/3 mount. This makes the most sense IMO. There are people that say it would cost to much for Panasonic to make full frame lenses etc. Sure it will be more expensive but it is not like they are starting a camera or lens company from scratch. Maybe I am oversimplifying it but basically all they have to do is scale everything up for full frame. They already have outstanding M4/3 lenses and such how hard would it be for them to scale that up to full frame????

On a side not if Panasonic came out with the FF GH5-F then I would keep the GH4 but as it stands now I am waiting till Sony rings my bell with the perfect D810 sized ringtone ;-) LOL

• AMD Polaris 10/11 will also have native HEVC decoding. Polaris 10 rumored to be around 980 Ti performance at $300-400 price tag and only 175W TDP. http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51814/amd-polaris-10-gpu-performs-close-to-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti/index.html

• @MarcioK

It is quite old video, I think we have it somewhere.

• Panasonic manager saying that they are not even considering m43 future cameras with a larger sensor than the m43 size (no S35 sensor for the GH5).

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonci-confirms/

Probably will be the GX8 sensor, as I always expected.

• Problem is: h265 is processor intensive and probably will need transcode before editing.

H.265 is played by hardware in modern editors if you have Nvidia card. So, no one care.