Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Never been good at nuance so what should we call it a FOV penalty?

• I told ya.

Crop and sensor shift stabilization are not related.

• But if there is no crop will there be body stabilization? It seems you can't have one without the other hopefully that's not the case. Or maybe there is stabilization but for a change if you turn it totally off no crop. I hope the later.

• And now we got a first spec info from a trusted source:

1) The camera has no crop for 4K 2) 4:2:2 10 bits internal recording!!!!

• @inqb8tr

Such hopes have some real foundation.

• @vitaliy what's your opinion on some weird hopes that it'll feature 4:2:2 codec internaly, like is it completely irrational to hope for

• Two sources shared some info about the new Panasonic GH5. They both said that there will be no “full” GH5 announcement at Photokina. This means there will be no full specs, pricing and shipment info of the camera. They are yet not sure but this could mean Panasonic will display a camera prototype with some “general” specs info instead.

As expected.

It will be also fun how they will try to sell you NX1 specs camera (with few pro like additions) more than 2 years after NX1 introduction :-)

• I am happy to pay for upgraded features: VLog, 422, RAW etc... and then pick and choose what I want.

Personally I wouldn't like to go down the hardware / software as service road. That is the reason why I haven't personally gone down the CC pathway. That is just my view. Many don't share it.

Especially since Apple is planning (in the process of) adding subscription to App Store, looks like this really is the future. (which actually may be a good thing for Apple Pro Apps as this may get more features and functionality out).

But seriously- please Panasonic, just keep up the great work and possibly add a few "paid" features, no subscription.

• @Brig My post was Sarcasm & Irony, nothing else. @CapionStudio is right on the money.

• Wow did i just read some rants and whining. I've created more content with the GH4 that puts some high paying DPs to shame with Reds than most. Christ, I've produced content with a Go Pro Hero 4 Black in 4k that's blown the socks off two big name manufacturers that now want to pick it up for their own marketing. I try to say this without ego, but really the tools boil down to whose hands its in. In my professional experience the GH4 is near perfect in V-Log 10 bit out to a Shogun (with alexa like highlight roll off). Different tools for different jobs. If I want a full frame low light monster I'll pick up an a7s, if I want an all around camera that can produce a cinematic look I will opt for the GH4 with metabones 64 xl and shogun. The GH5 will only get better marginally because it is already there and its almost 3 years old! Everything internal would be fantastic without the need for external peripherals, but the unit built up is still insanely compact. I think what we all can agree upon is we really need higher quality slow motion (4k 60p, HD 120 / 240p) in camera that isn't muddy and I think thats about it. Calm down folks and focus on your skill... not the tech per say. With that said, speculate away... but complaining that Panasonic doesn't listen or creates cameras that are lacking is simply not true.

• I don't care what they put into the GH5 as they show little concern for what we really want. I just want them to announce so I can decide which system my next investment dollar should lean towards.

• @Scot

I think it is future, seriously.

It is also way for market to be more like smartphones market, with China and Japan just making cameras under different brands names, like Google or Apple :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev LOL but I shouldn't laugh because they would charge more than that say $10.00 per 50 exposures after all think what we use to pay for film! In comparison to film days 50 exposures for $10.00 would be cheap.

• One thing I am waiting on camera market is extremely cheap FF camera with monthly rate. Like new Windows or Office.

You get perfect FF camera kit for $200 with build in 4G module, and pay $10 for each 1000 shots and $25 per month. If you don't pay it becomes fully locked (including lens).

• All you camera are belong to us.

• In comparison to GH4, GH5 will have:

• Same sensor as GX85
    • Same IBIS as GX85
    • Better processor than GX85
    • Most of the fancy features as in GX85, like crop panning etc. modes
    • FullHD 120fps
    • New video profile, similar to V-log
    • They give up on weather sealed body
    • They will introduce new gadget that integrates to GH5 body. Like YAGH was to GH4. What it will be? Not sure yet. Maybe Panasonic's own video RAW recorder.
  • If you look at mere numbers-then yes, that what you might come up with as a conclusion! But you forget the part that is not writen in invoice and yet it costs more: Psycological perception of the world and emotions...

1: More divorces+more new weddings+more money spent on essentials (food and music)= less money for luxurious aspect of event (such as videographing of wedding).

2: More divorces>more additional weddings=the act of wedding becomes a frequent action, almost everyday activity, more then once in a lifetime event that needs to becrekembered! Why would I spend 5-10k to create a video memory of something that might never become an event worth to memorize?:)

:)

Good Idea for a dedicated post. Thanks. When I get time I will definatly do it!

• I was never big on proofs and precise documentation and I like to paraphrase rather then quote (with keeping the essence of the point of course) but since you insist here you go:)

Your link make no sense considering your statement, of course many new jobs appear. But they are not among top 5 jobs.

I just can not see how increasing divorce rates can be good for wedding video biz...it is a good joke I can give you that:)

It is not joke, as population in US is growing and each woman also have more weddings comparing to old times. Good for wedding shooters.

You also have very unusual understanding of camera market and economics. Can you make bigger and more detailed separate post about all your points?

• @Vitaly

I was never big on proofs and precise documentation and I like to paraphrase rather then quote (with keeping the essence of the point of course) but since you insist here you go:)

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-opera-mini-iphone&channel=new&q=top+five+jobs+today+didn't+exist+10+years+ago&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ_pDRzvTNAhXLKx4KHUQaAYAQvwUIFigA

Please don't blame me for false statements. Its google's fault not mine...

I just can not see how increasing divorce rates can be good for wedding video biz...it is a good joke I can give you that:)

What I am saying is not inconsistance its a common men's wisdom of history and evolution articulated in folk proverbs: "Lying and maintaining the lie is so expensive that at the end telling the truth pays off much better!"

Companies seek profits and always miss to get it because they do't see where the real profit is: In fullfilling other's peoples true needs!

I can not prove, but I am certain if sony or canon or panasnic ever did a study how much money they wasted in figuring out how to trick the market and screw the user by trying to maximize their profits and therefore how to sell and market crippled product that is so bad but good just enough that it is still saleble, I am sure they would come up to conclusion that they would make more money if they offered a honest deal to begin with! They are on the market for multiple mutants like C100/C300/C500 and T6i charade (I meam is there realy any viable difference btw T2i and T6i?!:), that has a target audience of dozens of thousands users! The truth is that there are millions of people waiting for some sort of combo of C300 specs paired with 5D lighness or if you want, middle ground between GH4 and Varicam. But because such product doesn't exist, people just don't wanna venture because they now the game is rigged so user is amwsys screwed. So they wait or give up, change brand or change interest and go fishing, taking dance lessons or playing sudoku...

Gopro was on the market only for the profits! And look what happened? They tried to trick people into what their needs are...

Arri is on the market to serve the market! And they are stronger then ever, with soverign rulling over highest end market! They are there to fullfill the real need of high end market and people just took it (I don't think they are good guys in any way but they do play fair play game!)

• @caveport Where you might go if it proves out is the Fujifilm XT-2. Except for high frame rates, it has caught up to the GH4 in features. It has the ideal format, an excellent line of lenses, and those Fujifilm emulations. The ability to shoot Astia or Acros with little or no post-processing is a big deal. Supposedly, it has no aliasing or moire. It remains to be seen whether it has enough DR to be competitive. If it does, I will switch from Panasonic as soon as I can afford to.

• If in january of 2015, someone told you that in spring of 2016 gopro is going to lay off their workers and close some factories because financialy they are going down (even though they probably had the best Christmass season ever!!!!) what would you say? Would you believe in these predictions?

But how is it possible that with all these drones and surfers and divers and their grandmas using gopros, manufacturer who makes them is on the edge of financial collapse? Ever thought of how and why is that?

This was possible to predict, and as I know such predictions had been made. In capitalism if you have too high profits in some sector you see big money inflow and within some time profits become lower than even average per economic, and later due to closings they tend to move around average. Such thing can be delayed if you have big power, unique knowledge and tech and/or patents what you are able to protect.

Situation in action/wearable cameras market will become even more tense in coming years.

When you read stats, you can learn that something like top 5 job positions today, didn't even existed 10 years ago.

It is fully false.

Where do you think that weddings video market will go if we just learned that this year there are more adult Single Americans then married ones (and that is more likely continue to be a trend).

Nothing bad will happen with wedding videos. Divorce rate increases and this is good for market :-)

And we as user are telling to manufacturers what we Want, Need and How Much we are willing to pay for it! If they are smart they will listen and make millions by pleasing us instead of making hundreds of thousands trying to please themselves.

And now you are just inconsistent. Companies look for profits, not for your good, and they are much better at finding where are maximum profits (no, not where you think they are) comparing to you.

You are too optimistic about progress and too pessimistic about people. Reverse it.

• @Manu I am affraid that figuring out the turbulent future based on recent past is a wrong method.

If in january of 2015, someone told you that in spring of 2016 gopro is going to lay off their workers and close some factories because financialy they are going down (even though they probably had the best Christmass season ever!!!!) what would you say? Would you believe in these predictions?

But how is it possible that with all these drones and surfers and divers and their grandmas using gopros, manufacturer who makes them is on the edge of financial collapse? Ever thought of how and why is that?

Just because Panasonic CEOs, CFOs, UFOs and others wanna buy another yacht by following the guidance constructed in their riggid and selfish imagination, doesn't mean that market, users and the rest of the world will follow their idea!

When you read stats, you can learn that something like top 5 job positions today, didn't even existed 10 years ago.

You know that shooting music videos used to be a legitimate career right? And look where it is now? Where do you think that weddings video market will go if we just learned that this year there are more adult Single Americans then married ones (and that is more likely continue to be a trend). And what kind of cameras and for what price that market will be able to functionaly use in times ahead?!

Let me repeat myself:

Smartphones are shooting 4K and 240fps TODAY! And you are arguing here wheather a pro camera that needs to be released next year should have 4K 60fps?!?! Whataaaaainaaaaworldofmyyyyfffffffceeeeqqqqq?!?!?!?

I mean, can somebody please raise the stone under which you are live in? Wake up folks!!!!

Most of the jobs on video market these days are obtained not by raised quality but by underbidding the competitors! And you know where that leads... Production budgets for building up the infrastructure are dried up for quite some time now!

@Caveport I don't get what you irritation and complains are about...users demanding for manufacturers to make a product that they would acctualy like to use, whats wrong in that? You think they should just accept crippled and overpriced product just because that how "thing are"?!?

Are you sure you're not working for the darkside?;)

You say we should all use the tool we need. We would love to, but there is a minor challange to that: Tool that we need - DOES NOT exist!!! Yes, there is a bunch of crippled objects on the market of which each has something we could use, but in a grand scheme of things, it just makes no sense to do it! Makes no sense to shlepp 5 camera bodies when technology allows it all to fitt in 2 models or so. And we as user are telling to manufacturers what we Want, Need and How Much we are willing to pay for it! If they are smart they will listen and make millions by pleasing us instead of making hundreds of thousands trying to please themselves.

• The E-M1II and Gh5 will ship in early 2017 only. And it’s likely that they will NOT be announced at Photokina.

43rumors

• I think yes, until something unexpected happens.