Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • $2000 at release would be the upper limit otherwise there customers will move on or buy 2 G85s IMO. The only exception perhaps if they pull some amazing sensor out of there engineering asses that out performs the current full frame cameras. Of course the likely hood of that is minimal but one could hope.

• You all must remember 3 things.

Earthquake in Japan x2, this means the are recovering yet and need to make profit, since RD is in Japan, also mayor manufacturing of critical components.

Appreciation for the need of a new type of customer. Semi pro - pro, grate results bang for buck the best pay extra for same LSI fully implemented type.

They also said that prices will rise since 2017, on all cameras. Im not surprise mothefuckers (alo nick diaz ufc comment) I expected prices above 2500 easy. You will pay for it cos there is no other cam doing this stuff at any price point. Not in a proper implementable way available for the masses. Its no easy cake Panasonic ! after 4 generations you have established as mayor quality reference in DSLR and CSC market. Now charge your premium.

But after all, it make sense, since they can profit more from what those who make money making high quality with cheap tools for cheap prices. "content creators" for web applications and stuff! Lol. Thats a new market that never existed before.

And those who need that pay check for that past work, will pay for GH5 since it brings more, for better result and stuff.

You will pay since i dont see anything going against this specs easy 8 months.

Ill buy 2,

bung for buck no competition. internal 10 bit makes me really think about leaving those RED dragon siting on rental since lots of delivery are made finally on 10 bit 4:2:2. even final master for client is not over this, since they hate "big file size" lol.

If this baby can deliver 13 stops and really bring 10 bit color grading, men this is a killer for many rental products, just saying.

Now if marketing can bring "new 12 bit 4:2:2" 16 bit 4:4:4 "con compressed codecs more, well, there you go with the loop again!

• It depends how good video it is capable of producing, dynamic range, ISO etc, not just numbers on paper... They'd better produce something really amazing to be able to sell it in 3K range. If it is just pimped GH4, don't think so...

• $1999.99 is hard to swallow too. Too many other options to pay that much.

• If the price of an advanced version is more than $1999.99 all I am gonna tell Panasonic is Bye Felisha! Based on the price of the EM1 mark II, those manufacturers are gonna be seeing more red in sales.

• "Panasonic would have to look for other customers" +1

• I think with that kind of price, Panasonic would have to look for other customers.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I dont need advanced features. I just need basic exposure tools and good 4k 60P. Sharper EVF and better AF would be nice too.

• @Vesku

Are you ok with $3199 as price for one with advanced firmware with waveform, false color and vectorscope?

• $2799 - with that price I hope it can show exposure numbers (iso, aperture and shutter speed).

• @paglez

I think it will be around $2799. And at the release time around 15 FF camera models will be cheaper.

• That's to say over 3000 $/€!!!!

• @caveport

Average current prices.

• The chart is meaningless without information about what it represents!

GH5 will be close to the bottom of this chart :-)

img2799.jpg
    609 x 276 - 57K
  • 10-bit 422 advantages

• Really unimpressed with this specs hiding and marketing games. Price must be too high also.

• @DrDave

If you ask me, Japanese management is afraid about GH5, and want to see feedback to select few things.

Modern camera of such level already must have compressed 14 bit raw (and interframe one!) and 10-bit and 8bit HEVC as smaller options. Time to put all this LOG time to rest.

• If they did use a multi-aspect sensor, they would get some much needed product differentiation. Actually, there's no reason they could not just copy JVC's idea of variable image size--they would sell a ton of cams.
    But for now, it looks like BS, at least on some level.

• @DrDave

As I understand - one issue is Sony sensors plant where their already through series of lies. Second issue is situation with Panasonic LSI, as they cut big since GH4 and joined forces with other companies. For years compacts, TZ and LX financed LSI development and production, and mirrorless build on them.

And now you have all issues in one place - outsourced sensor, half outsources LSI with no free money to finance development, and big group of marketers/representatives in local US and EU offices who became larger while sales of cameras tanked.

• If they wait too much longer to release this camera, it will be outdated.

• @zetty

You actually try to describe one of main capitalism issues without being to express it. Main goal of ruling class, corporation shareholders and top management is opposite of the workers goal, including all engineers. And it is such across all and every corporation and factory. So, yes, many brilliant engineers make many good things. But. It is not them who set main goals, set price points, get most margins and make always horrible, expensive marketing campaigns.

• @Vitaly_Kiselev Yes, they get directed by the management -- but let's not forget the management is what enables them to do anything at all. And I am sure the process is both ways as the management needs engineer input to make certain decisions. "Inbetween" is where a company draws its line in exploitation of their customers -- and in case of professional products that require a lot of creativity/R&D to get produced, will always be more considerate in this regard.

• but I think the truth is somewhere inbetween..

It is not "inbetween". As all this brilliant engineers get all main work direction by their management.

So, I'll add another quote:

It can't be denied that individual initiative has given, and still giving, brilliant results in various spheres of science, technology and art. This is, and has been, the case where the initiative coincides closely with the general trend of the traditions, tastes and interests of ruling class - the bourgeoisie.

• @Vitaly_Kiselev You're certainly under no illusions, but I think the truth is somewhere inbetween.. Of course, the big strokes are dictated by the usual capitalistic greed, however I am sure the engineers are also putting their hearts into this to make it possible.. Lots of talented people involved in a complex production like this and it's arrogant to assume they are only doing it because of the money -- many will love their job and take pride in their product, perhaps including some in the marketing and financial departments..