Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
JVC 4K cameras, including GY-LS300 - 4K for $2995, GY-HM200 and GY-HM170
  • 298 Replies sorted by
  • Still no footage that I would consider attractive. I really want to like this camera, but the footage is not looking as nice as I'd hope.

• The mushy compression on these videos makes the LS300 look like any other camcorder or DSLR recording video.

And is 4k recording limited to 8 bit, 4:2:0 (especially internal) like just about every other inexpensive semi-pro camera?

• I have the firmware updated Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+. It has the ability to DownRes 1080P with various frame rates from 4k. This made a huge difference with my A7s. Even ProRes LT is better than internal recordings.

I assume using the 7Q+ would give similar "enhanced" results with the LS300.

• Its not the compression thats bothering me. Its the colours and dynamic range. It lacks depth in the colours and the highlights clip badly (like the GH4 until V-log comes along!).

• I recently took delivery of a JVC GY-LS300, and made a portfolio on Vimeo for downloadable test footage:

http://vimeopro.com/fallenstarfeatures/jvc-gy-ls300-tests

I uploaded four comparison videos, all shot with the LS300. Same subject in each shot, an outdoor scene with sunlit highlights and dark shadows. I used a Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens at f10 and 1/60 second shutter, 5600K white balance, and Standard Color Matrix and Gamma settings. I set the exposure a bit hot to evaluate the LS300's handling of superwhite highlights. My aim was to improve on the LS300's default 1080p image quality, by post-processing and downsampling a customized 4K video down to 1080p. Each file is five seconds long and downloadable from my portfolio (streaming versions have been re-encoded by Vimeo at reduced bitrates):

LS300 Default 1080p EC-0.mov - Original unedited footage shot at 1080p with Default settings, Exposure Compensation: 0

LS300 Default 1080p EC-3.mov - Original unedited footage shot at 1080p with Default settings, Exposure Compensation: -3

LS300 Post Process 4K.mp4 - Processed footage shot at 4K, gamma corrected and downsampled to 1080p

LS300 Pre Process 4K.mov - Original unedited footage shot at 4K, settings customized for post-processing

• Thanks, lpowell, but what is your overall impression? I'm not seeing tons of detail in the clips.....

• @DrDave I'm looking to the LS300 to serve as a 4K upgrade to the AF100, and I need a reliable workhorse with pro audio and ND's that can handle a wide variety of lighting conditions. For this shot I wanted to see how recoverable the LS300's superwhites were, and adjusted the highlights to range all the way up to 108%, and the highlight knee to start at 100%. After loading the 4K clip into After Effects, I used Color Finesse to lower the master gain down to 100 IRE, and lifted the brightness back up with gamma adjustments. This produced smooth beige gradients on the swing cushions, all the way up to 100% white. That satisfies my requirements for a live event camera capable of recovering details from the occasional blown highlight, something I could never rely on the AF100 to handle predictably.

Overall, the LS300 strikes me as the most flexible and configurable stand-alone 4K videocamera currently available at a readily affordable price. However, you'll need to use extremely sharp lenses and a tripod to get fine details out of its 4K video mode (and don't expect OIS to help at all). At the default setting, the LS300's built-in Detail control produces heavily over-sharpened edges, and should be dialed down to -10 or even turned off completely. You'll then have a detailed but soft, artifact-free image that compresses well, but will need to be carefully sharpened in post. That was not an issue for me, since I intended to zoom, pan, and downscale within its 4K frame to produce a 1080p cut anyway. If you want something better than that, you'll need a 4K ProRes or RAW camera, or an external 4K recorder with considerably more bitrate than 150Mbps.

• @Lpowell I own this camera, along with others, from the month of May, because I'm riding a company of audiovisual equipment for rental market. So far, I have not found any information about the most appropriate settings to optimize results and get a cinematic look to it. So, welcome LPowell. You are a reference for me.

• Thanks, @lpowell, controlling the highlights is usually the number one issue for me.

• @DrDave @paglez With the LS300, I think it's best to take a technical approach to exposure that relies on the camera's auto-exposure features to protect the highlights, combined with its manual gamma controls to fine tune shadow and midrange exposure. Alternately, you could use the zebra and a light meter to gauge highlight exposure, but in practice it's far quicker to set auto-ISO (and optionally auto-aperture) and adjust Exposure Compensation down to safe highlight levels. You'll then have a frame with dark shadows and mids, like the "LS300 Default 1080p EC-3.mov" video above.

With highlights taken care of, you can manually set the Gamma Level control to lift the midrange as bright as you want, without disturbing highlight exposure. The Stretch Level control works similarly to manually lift shadow detail. With Master Black set to zero and White Clip set to 108%, the camera will capture the full range of the sensor's output, which you can then freely grade in post. The highlight Knee Level can also be set manually, but I prefer to keep it at 100% so I have a standard reference level for 100% white. I found no need to fine tune the chroma balance or Color Gain of the White Balance setting, though some may prefer to shoot with less color saturation than the default. Color Matrix and Gamma settings are likewise personal choices, which I kept at Standard to produce the naturalistic color balance you see in the videos above.

• @lpowell whats about its dynamic range? I think it's not a great value. Maybe 10/11 stops?

• I have through trial and error arrived at the conclusion that exp comp and auto exp is the only practical way to go for highlights.

• @paglez I find technical specs of little value in judging dynamic range, because so much depends on how you define 0% black in terms of sensor noise levels. Equally important is effective color bit-depth, which naturally decreases at lower exposure levels and is highly sensitive to H.264 compression. To evaluate these factors for yourself, examine a frame from my "LS300 Pre Process 4K.mov" video above in an editor like After Effects, which can decode the image into a lossless 32-bit floating point workspace without remapping or clipping the 8-bit H.264 values. You can then use gain, gamma, and pedestal controls to amplify the shadow details to the point where noise, artifacts, chroma shift, and gradient discontinuities become clearly visible. That is where the limits of the camera's practical dynamic range are found, regardless of how many "stops" it is said to possess.

• I uploaded four new LS300 test videos to my Vimeo portfolio:

http://vimeopro.com/fallenstarfeatures/jvc-gy-ls300-tests

This set of four comparison videos shows the same scene and exposures as my first set of LS300 videos. The difference is that these videos show objects in motion, allowing you to evaluate the camera's aliasing and motion artifacts in H.264 footage.

LS300 Default 1080p EC-0 motion.mov - Original unedited footage shot at 1080p with Default settings, Exposure Compensation: 0

LS300 Default 1080p EC-3 motion.mov - Original unedited footage shot at 1080p with Default settings, Exposure Compensation: -3

LS300 Post Process 4K motion.mp4 - Processed footage shot at 4K, gamma corrected and downsampled to 1080p

LS300 Pre Process 4K motion.mov - Original unedited footage shot at 4K, settings customized for post-processing

• New firmware with JVC LOG, 4k 2k DCI and a Prime Zoom feature.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2015/releases/gyls300_v2.html

• Looking forward to seeing the log footage this camera puts out.

• The upgrade adds a “JVC Log” mode that practically duplicates the look of film, plus new Cinema 4K and Cinema 2K recording modes, a unique Prime Zoom feature that uses the camera’s innovative technology to allow zoom capabilities when using prime lenses, and a histogram. Free for all current owners, the upgrade will be available in September 2015.

Way to go JVC! Take note, Panasonic, this is how you earn customer loyalty.

• These features should give more worth to a great camera. Great support from JVC. Hopefully they improve HDMI to fully support 10 bit 4:2:2

• It didn't have histogram before??? :-o Well... excellent it has been added!

• I own this camera. I hope JVC log increase dynamic range. Up to now its DR is limited. Perhaps 10 stops.

• From JVC's press release: "With the new JVC Log mode, the GY-LS300 delivers wide latitude and high dynamic range – up to 800 percent – to rival the look of film."

Well, 800%, as I understand it, may not be that great from a DR perspective. By comparison, the Sony F5, F55 or FS7's S-Log2 claim up to 14 stops of dynamic range, which is said to be equivalent to 1300%. Sony's original S-Log delivered a dynamic range of 1000%. As such, JVC's log of 800% would appear to be rather lackluster so I wouldn't expect too much improvement. Of course, the JVC's IQ may be good enough for a wide variety of applications -- particularly when you consider it's half the price of the FS7.