Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
JVC 4K cameras, including GY-LS300 - 4K for $2995, GY-HM200 and GY-HM170
  • 298 Replies sorted by
  • Looks like to shoot 4k and use M4/3 lenses, you may need to allow a little vignetting. Would be interesting to see how various M4/3 lenses fair in the 86% 4k scan mode, as it looks like any mode with more crop than that, reverts to HD. Images from video above.

80.jpg
    800 x 450 - 45K
    86.jpg
    800 x 450 - 46K
  • SO if I use DX format lens on booster (to m4/3 obviously) what % of sensor will be covered or DX on regular adapter?

other words I still can't figure this out how shot on full "DX size" sensor if its m4/3 mount?

• @konjow Appears to me the LS300 supports full S35 100% crop with Nikon DX lenses. With Lumix lenses, you'd need an 80% crop to reduce the sensor to MFT size, but you'd still be able to record in 4K as well as 1080p resolutions. With narrower than 80% crop, you could shoot only in 1080p.

• Thanks @lpowell That was my 1st thought

So DX should cover full sensors without booster on regular adapter. hope thats somehow correct! I really like the camera so far.

• I really want to see some more footage with this, shot with nice glass. So far its lacking a bit of magic somehow, not helped by the fact that they always seem to be shooting 30p.

• Quoting FirstBase but I also think they clearly had the thought of stealing Panasonic's thunder in coming out with their own "AF200." It's hard not to like the on-paper specs of this cam.

I went to NAB looking for this camera to be at the Panasonic booth. Instead it was at JVC and for about the same price I expected to pay.

I would order it but first have a question about the 80% crop for Panasonic MFT lens. Is the top/bottom cut off or just a the center of Sensor used? Do you still get the benefit of larger Sensor for low-light shooting?

It is not unusual for me to need 3200 ISO or higher on my A7s I sent back my HC-X1000 do to poor performance indoors where I do 95% of my shoots. I don't want to get one of these just to send it back.

• The Japanese link above lists the crop ratios available in the LS-300 menu:

100% - Super 35 - PL mount, 35mm still lens

97% -  

95% -

92% -

87% -

86% -

80% - MFT - Micro Four Thirds lens

76% -

72% -

67% -

63% -

59% -

54% -

52% - Super 16 - C mount, 16mm cinema lens

47% -

43% - 2/3 inch - B4, B3 mount, ENG lens

In 4K resolution, you can shoot in sizes from 100% down to 80%.

In 1080p resolution, you can shoot in sizes from 100% down to 43%.

• What worries me, is that if only 80 percent of the sensor is used with my MFT lens, will I only get 80% of the light? I shoot in poor/low light conditions

• @RRRoger No, at 80% you get the full amount of light the MFT lens projects into a 16x9 frame within its image circle. What you don't get is the full APS-C sensor with its 1.5x crop factor. You instead get an MFT-sized rectangle centered within that sensor, with about a 2x crop factor. In effect, you are digitally zooming into the sensor to match its frame size to the image circle of each lens.

• A more in-depth making-of is available as well :

• Quote LPowell: No, at 80% you get the full amount of light the MFT lens projects into a 16x9 frame within its image circle. What you don't get is the full APS-C sensor with its 1.5x crop factor. You instead get an MFT-sized rectangle centered within that sensor, with about a 2x crop factor. In effect, you are digitally zooming into the sensor to match its frame size to the image circle of each lens.

So, if I put a MFT lens on the JVC GY-LS300 like the Rokinon 24mm T1.5 Cine, will it let in all the light the S35 Sensor can handle because of the larger sized glass elements. For a low light situation would it better to use the Rokinon with MFT, or APS-C or FX mount and an adapter?

• RRRoger, that will make no difference. The Rokinon lens is a lens that easily covers S35 - whether you choose the lens with a MFT-mount or Canon-mount or Nikon-mount (or whatever). It is a S35 covering lens on which you can choose the mount. No matter what mount you choose when purchasing the lens - it will always cover S35.

There do exist "true MFT"-lenses (so-to-speak), which are likely to cover just an MFT-sensor sized area. For those lenses you need to set the VSM to MFT (80%). There will be no difference in light sensitivity (as the pixelsize can't change of a sensor).

• camsr, you are referring to MFT lens like the Panasonic ones I use on my GH4. They have very small glass elements on the mount end. The LS300 will have to be set for 80% to use them properly and when huge DOF is preferred.

The advantages of the Rokinon are probably why this is the only lens I have seen on LS300 CamCorders. It also explains why the LS300 on display at NAB seemed adequate in that low light environment at least through the viewfinder and LCD..

• @RRRoger No, it makes no difference - only the maximum aperture of the lens will make a difference is how much light you need for your shot. The advantage of the Rokinon or SamYangs over true MFT lenses would be: 1) focus can be shallower due to larger sensor surface 2) S35 is a "known" sensor size for professionals - so you know which focal length results in which angle of view (the last thing is actually explained in the interview (somwhere around the 5 minute mark) :

• On location with the JVC GY-HM200