Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panny's X lenses not endorsed by Leica
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • For professionals Leica is still far from irrelevant. They just recently came out with a new line of PL-mount cinema glass, and folks are raving about these. Simply the best (and the most expensive).

It's another story with Japanese manufacturers licensing the name, be it Leica or Zeiss for mass market camcorders.

BTW, there has been co-operation for about fifty years, Minolta for example built the first photographic zooms for Leica.
  • it would be stupit from panasonic to ditch the worlds best lens maker if you want to connect to the pro users. with leica on board the gfx can only be a bigger succes. discussion is good and raises the bar for all of us.
  • +1.

Next year Panasonic will make it or break it. GFX-1, 12-35, 35-100, AF200, GH3, etc.

I'm betting on their success, and Leica is irrelevant.
  • @davhar
    I think what he was trying to say (without offending Leica) is that Leica is old school, maybe stuck in their ways, and not willing to change as easily or as fast as Panasonic is. Panasonic's new x lenses and soon to come pro lenses are a gamble since it is possibly cutting edge or just new technology. I'm skeptical like you and will wait to test before I buy, but at the same time new technologies always come with skepticism. Personally I hope the gamble pays off.
  • If future X lenses are better than 7-14 and 14-140, I'm careless about Leica approval. See Nokton and Samyang m43 lenses. Those guys can make good m43 lenses without in-body software correction, too.

The biggest issue of Panasonic lenses is the electronic fly-by-wire focus mechanism. It sucks. I'm not expecting accurate distance scale, but they gotta improve MF control. If they cannot meet Leica standard while addressing the sucky MF issue, ditch Leica. Leica might release their own cropped mirrorless system body.
  • "Leica has very strict standards when making lenses,"

I think I'll stick with the higher standards, thank you very much. The guy basically says it's about getting smaller lenses - as if we need smaller. The GH2 is too small as it is
  • Whatever Leica says. Haha.

Samsung ditched Pentax before launching NX series. Panasonic plans to release their first m43 pro lenses 12-35 and 35-100 without Leica approval. Sony plans to release more pancake lenses without Carla Zeiss mark. Time to ditch Leica and Zeiss?