Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panny's X lenses not endorsed by Leica
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • @Brian202020
    And if you were nice this year? He he he :-)
  • @stonebat
    We begin to be very offtopic, but Thanksgiving is historically a little problematic. We would have to ask Native Americans what they think about Thanksgiving ...
  • @stonebat I agree, I want Leica-approved HD video optimized m43 lens at an affordable price too. I just don't think it's in the cards anytime soon. Panasonic's relationship with Leica isn't like Sony/Zeiss where Sony sticks the Zeiss name on any POS camcorder or point and shoot no matter how low on the food chain it is. Leica's licensing deal has strict boundaries as I understand, as well it should. I don't know why Zeiss agrees to let Sony put its name on the crappiest little compacts. Well, maybe I have an idea why they do.

I also agree about Samyang. I am eager to pick up the new 24mm f/1.4, as I do prefer purely optical, manual focus lenses for shooting video and stills. The 20mm pancake is the only native m43 lens I've tried that I liked as much as my vintage lenses.
  • This is an interesting discussion where I certainly will pick up knowledge and new ideas. I will use my current m43 lenses and some new ones Lumix and Leica, as well as my very old Zeiss lenses from the 60:th (35, 50 and 90 mm, where I always have liked my Sumicron 50mm/f2.0 together with my Leica M2). I will try to find out and learn how to use them together and when to use them. I compare them on the result they deliver and do not care if they are digital corrected or not. The GH2 supports my old lenses in a brilliant way.
  • For the sake of argument here, allow me to throw in a spanner in the works. Many have compared the Nokton 25mm with the new Leica-Panasonic Summilux, trying to find out which one is better. What many don't realise is that one is traditionally made optics, the other an electronically driven lens. The difference is like night and day, or saying analog is better than digital.

Is analog completely obsolete? Is digital the way of the future? i have shot with both MF and AF lenses and I acknowledge that different lenses and technologies serve different functions. I refuse to be drawn into the useless speculation of which is superior, but I have preferences and favourites. When I make a feature film, or narrative content, regardless of the size and length of the project, i will always opt for old school primes. When i am on the run and gun, I will use the best AF lenses available.

So whether Leica ditches Panasonic, or the other way around, it's purely a commercial matter that has nothing to do with end users like me. At the end of the day, when they make billions of dollars, they are not concerned about whether I have enough money to bank roll my business, or fund my next film. Similarly, i don't quite give two hoots about whether the word "Leica" is missing from the lastest Pany camera body. There will always be alternatives to get round compatibility issues. That's what i like about the m4/3 system - it is an open system that accommodates rather than excludes. Just find the right adaptor and you could be playing with a Wollensak Cine lens on your GH2!
  • @kazuo

I think you may be confusing electronic auto-focus with digital lens correction. The former simply moves the lens elements with a quick servo motor to achieve focus. This is not what we are discussing, and has nothing to do with DSP lens correction, which applies geometric image correction in the digital domain when the chip inside the lens passes on its correction curves to the camera body circuit, relieving the lens manufacturer of having to do it optically in the first place.

The Leica branded Panasonic lens you cite has, to the best of my knowledge, no digital lens correction. Except for auto-focus it is a traditional purely optical design like the Nokton. The image both lenses produce relies solely on optical design, no DSP. So if you wish to compare their IQ, feel free, but know that such a comparison has nothing to do with the differences between optical and DSP lenses being discussed here.

• In the interest of clarifying what is and is not digital lens correction, here are some links to dpreview's commentary on the subject.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/distortion/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/page17.asp