Personal View site logo
35mm F1.4 and F0.95 SLR Magic Cine lenses
  • 234 Replies sorted by
  • @chazzmoe Yeah, I'll agree with ya on that one. I got cuts through the screen!

• @slrmagic Andrew, thanks for the kind oportunity. I will mail you my reel.

Jonas.

• Hello Andrew, we received our FS700 (besides our MFT cams) about a month ago and are building up a set of fast lenses for it. We were about to buy Rokinon/Samyang Cine lenses, but then we heard about your upcoming 35mm and 35mm primes. We already own the Hyperprime Cine 50mm T.0.95 and the 12mm (only mft unfortunately) and are quite happy with the performance. We have a client project coming up for which we will start shooting next Tuesday. We actually need the 25mm more urgently than the 35mm but we would be happy to test it as well. Tobi

EDIT: Ah, totally forgot to ask what I wanted to ask. Would it be possible to have the lens for a couple more days? The last day of shoting is around the 5th of December.

• @Tobsen

Unfortunately the 25mm is not ready till December. We understand you need the 25mm T0.95 urgently. I can assure you we also want the lens to be ready asap but we cannot make all our lenses at once. After we are done with the 35mm T1.4 assembly we will be working on the 25mm T0.95

• Lucky 35/1.4 testers!

Let us know what you think. 12/1.6 is pretty rockin', I can't imagine the 35/1.4 being anything less than fantastico.

Can't wait for 25/0.95.

Keep up the good work.

• Guys, this is topic about specific lenses, use PM, please.

• I cleared all things not related to lenses from the topic. Use email or PM for discussion.

• Andrew, the owner of SLR Magic, the small lens company based in Hong Kong, sended me a Pre Production model of his 35mm T1.4 lens. I tested it. Not a scientific test though.

You can read more about it here: http://www.beeldlab.nl/marsh-ii-slr-magic-35mm-t1-4-preproduction-lens-test/

• Looks really nice to me. I'd love to get one myself :D

• sorry, to be shure this 35mm lens has the same field of view like the panasonic 14-140mm at 35mm on the GH2 ??

• Absolutely incredible test beeldlab - I'm sold! I don't think I've ever been quite this excited for a lens...

• slr magic 1.4 used in this video

• Hello here is a fast test of the 35mm T1.4 SLR Magic, on hacked GH1

• based on Seb's and Beeldlab's tests the T1.4 looks like an amazing deal. It is winter here in Europe so we know it handles all that shallow DOF work well. Would be nice to see at least one "normal" full daylight test and some studio work.

• "Would be nice to see at least one "normal" full daylight test and some studio work."

Agreed. I don't mean to sound like a dick and all these little arty movies are very nice and everything, but they do not really constitute useful "tests". Every time I watch these things, I keep praying for one stable shot in average conditions lasting for more than half a second! It's not rocket science folks: stick the camera on a tripod, aim it at a few things we're all familiar with in daily life, check the settings and shoot for five seconds or more. Otherwise, how on earth is anyone expected to evaluate important, basic stuff like color, sharpness, distortion, drop-off etc. As for bokeh and breathing, do separate tests and ID them. And make sure to include some info regarding equipment, settings, conditions etc. Thanks and have a Happy Christmas!

• Here's my test of the 35mm T1.4. I'm going to do a lens comparison soon.

• @mintcheerios - thanks for the video! One question though, I noticed the outdoor footage looked jittery. Is that typical of footage using a 35mm non-stabilized lens handheld on a GH2? I am not criticizing your skills, I am sure my footage would be much more jittery because I am a beginner. Is this something that can be fixed in post with Final Cut Pro X? Should I only stick to Panasonic lenses with O.I.S. when shooting handheld and a focal length of around 35mm is needed?

• @DanPV

Yeah, it's jittery because the focal length is too long for handheld shooting. I did my best to keep it steady (put viewfinder to my face), but it still shook a bit. I didn't bring any stabilizing equipment because I wanted to be as discreet as possible. OIS would definitely help for this focal length though. Fixing camera shake in post with these cmos cameras doesn't always work very well because it just amplifies the rolling shutter. I was hoping I could get away with the shake as an "artistic decision", but it didn't work lol.

• @mintcheerios, I like the footage and that lens looks interesting. I would be interested in an optical of these characteristics. But I want to have a good look organic. You think you could film something where you have nature, like mountains, river or sea, beach, etc? Thanks.

• @P13DM I like that footage. But perhaps even being in the same company, is not worth much as the referent of a 12mm 35mm, I have seen in some cases of other brands like the look of different focal variants of the same series.

Do you remember which lens you used in the shots 1:21, 1:28, 1:38 and 1:40?

Thanks. :-)

• I like Nokton's color, but the HyperPrime's bokeh looks nice. Impressive CA control.

• Great sharpness wide open for an 0.95. Agreed, Bokeh looks great and CA is no worse than Zeiss primes wide open.

Cannot wait for this. Perfect mate for Blackmagic, along with the 12 and 25. Then later, the 50! Yessss

Edit: also really like the design of the lens. Looks solid. Wonder how long the focus throw is. With the gear on the 12mm it's a healthy amount, plenty enough for me. I hope the others are similar.