Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris Just curious what aperture you used on the wide shot? I always find my zooms are very very prone to diffraction problems above f/11 or so- these are older MF zooms (tamron SP and a non-sp from the 80's). As well, I find them incredibly soft when wide open on distant detail.

I also find that they just do not resolve detail well at long distances- that wide grab just reminds me of stills I've taken with a zoom of distant subjects that were very less than impressive.

But if you're talking about a good quality prime at 85mm, then not sure what's going on!

• @vicharris Very cool re improv. I'll be playing with Boom some more soon, so will check the wides. Maybe an alternative for you will be one of the bkmcwd settings (I think he did a "flat" setting that was inspired by and designed to be a GOP3 version of Boom). Perhaps that will give you imaging characteristics/style/look of Boom, but perhaps the wides also work better for you.

Thanks for posting grabs. Rock on.

• @matt_gh2 You're right. For the wide with the 85mm in the first grab, I was across a 4 lane road with a median and turn lanes, so it was about 6 lanes. Wait, no, that first one was with the Nikon 105mm but it's just as soft as the 85mm. I guess that could be and I'm prob asking alot from a $650 camera but I have seen better detail on wide shots from other hacks. I'm sure there's a reason Driftwood told us that this is better for Med and CU shots :)

And yeah, he's one of my buddies, runs his own agency and is one of my producing partners. He did some funny ass improve for this scene and once the whole thing is shot, I'll post it on this site as well. It's a Drinking and Driving PSA so I need to haul ass to get it done in tome for the holidays.

• @vicharris I have a question on the wide. I'm not an expert so this is more of question, than a comment. I saw you used a 24 for the one shot, and a 11-16 for the two shot, and those look like the camera was probably positioned about the same distance from the subject. But for the wide shot, if you were using a 85 or 105, I guess you would have to be really far away from the subject to get that wide a shot. So maybe the softness is a result of the distance from lens to subject? (I don't really know all the stuff about distance, focal length, and all the math, so I'm really just guessing the cause.)

Thanks for posting. Guy with vacuum cleaner is a funny setup. Would love to see final product.

• Ok, here's a few grabs. The wide was shot with the Rokinon 85mm. The one shots were all with the Rokinon 24mm 1.5 and the closer two shot is with the Tokina 11-16. All on Boom V1. @matt_gh2 and @Monsterbox

Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 8.24.04 PM.png
    1595 x 932 - 2M
    Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 8.24.25 PM.png
    1614 x 934 - 2M
    Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 8.25.22 PM.png
    1624 x 962 - 2M
    Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 8.24.58 PM.png
    1538 x 862 - 2M
    Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 8.27.22 PM.png
    1597 x 904 - 2M
  • Will do guys. The wides just look a soft to me and a bit washed out. I could have overexposed a bit but I matched exposure with the Med and MC shots. Also on the wides I used two diff lenses. Nikon 105mm 2.8 and Rokinon 85mm 1.4 so I don't think it was the glass. Anyways, I just got two new lenses in so I'll stop playing with them and throw up the grabs after the kids go to bed.

• @vicharris @matt_gh2 I second that, please post some grabs. The superwideshots @driftwood posted a while back from his trip with Boomv2 looked pretty spectacular.

• @vicharris Would def be interested in seeing the Boom grabs from wide shots where you saw problems. I recently tested some wide shots with Boom but didn't notice any issues, so wondering if I'm missing something (I only briefly reviewed though). If you can, maybe post the wide, med, and CU grabs from shots done on the same scene so we can see quality difference. Thanks.

• Thanks matt_gh2

much appreciated

Mark

• Just shot Day 1 daytime stuff for a PSA on Boom and I'll have to agree with the recommended usage from Driftwood. Great for Med and CU shots, not good for Wides. I had super wides and I'll post some grabs as soon as I get some time. The Med and MC shots look amazing though! On a side note, night stuff shot on CM Night rocks!!!!

• @powertothepeople I believe this is the link to version 1 of Intravenus. I don't think there was a version 2. If anyone knows different please chime in.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4391/apocalypse-now-settings-boom-intravenus-cbrandindriftwood-an-soft-cinema/p1

• Hi Guys can someone direct me to the intravenus download ..I can find lots of references but no download

thanks in advance

Mark

• @crisvpl Nice video. Image is very smooth. Great composition of shots on the fly. Bet the couple was pleased with the results. Thanks for posting.

• AN c6 Nebula. 14mm, F2.5, flycam nano. A wedding intermezzo. It was a realy plesure for them in a middle of a summer day... Sorry for the compresion. Shoot at 1080 30p.

• @jokami Beautiful! Barber's "Adagio for Strings" brought back memories of a project I wanted to do 25 year ago.

• Ok so after having some bad luck with another patch I downloaded the Quantum GH3 trial 2. It appears to work well but FCPx 10.0.6 does not like a few of the clips and says it can't read them. Tried reading the card on 2 different machines. When I rewrap the footage with Clipwrap FCPx ingests it fine. Very odd and I must confess I'm not having much luck lately with any of these new patches :(

• Wonderful work guys and yet so diverse: @DeShonDixon @pop24 and @jokami. Great editing/grading, superb direction and filming (with so many good ideas), wicked visuals, 'n' fruity eye candy! Love 'em. :-)

• "Rise" // Short Film

Used the Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now - Nebula' 6 GOP Settings when it first came out. Minimal grading. Shot this over summer with some zeiss primes :-) . Enjoy!

• i work in the clubs in berlin with the gh2. this is cluster 7 sharp2 with the voigtländer 17mm and the 12mm magic slr

• Please ignore my last post, wholeheartedly.

• @DeShonDixon Cool video - cool song. Loved the opening shot panning - was absolutely pro and cool as shit. Thanks for posting.

• So got a hold of a gh2 for a few weeks (that I'll be using more in the future) and have the blessing of the owner to apply patches.

I can't span with BOOM! on a 45MB/s card at 24H. No write errors, though. Spanning of the intra version of the GH3matrix worked fine.

Spanning works at 24L, though. So, I have a question: between 24H and 24L, is the only difference in terms of the settings in the patch the bitrate? I modified the BOOM! patch to run at 100mb/s at 24L- spanning works without a problem. But, am I losing quality in doing so other than a lower max bitrate?