Personal View site logo
Hacked GH1 vs. Hacked GH2
  • 86 Replies sorted by
  • the images were shot with a hack gh2 and gh13.......realy hard to see the difference

• After reading soooo many posts about the lpowell patches I can't seem to find one thing:

- many seem to refer to Max Lat V2 lpowell patch as a FHD 1080 patch but I can only find a downloadable file of that patch that records at a maximum resolution of 1920x720.

Can anyone point me to the Max Lat V2 lpowell patch download that records at FHD (1920x1080)?

Thanks
  • Can somebody tell me if the Lumix DMC-GH1 is suitable for hacking? Is it the same as the GH1 everybody is talking about? Thx a lot.
  • A little off topic, but where can I find the best offers on the Gh1 new or used (besides ebay..), it seems like a good camera and I have decided to buy one :-)
  • Hi britekite

1.DMC-GH1 = GH1

2. it is hackable...the whole discussion about it being hackable or not, is referring to an earlier version of the Gh1 contra a newer version.

There was a period when the newer version was not hackable, but this has been resolved, with the latest version of PTool3.55d. And PTool3.55d is the hack.

I am not yet a user of the camera, but I have studied some of the information regarding the camera and the hack and this is how I understand the situation...

• Hey. is the Lumix DMC-GH1 same as the GH1 , are both hackeable??
  • Hi Rambo,

thx a lot for your reply...

you write:

"Max Lat V2 lpowell patch for 25p on the GH1 at 1080 FHD mode, it is very stable"

1. does that mean that you film directly in progressive 25p, without having to transform 50i in 25p?

you write:

"is you lose 50p in SH mode as it's converted to 25p."

2. Sorry but whats is SH mode?

you write:

"change the FW to the V2 75mbps peak reliability "

3. FW = Firmware ?

• What's about NTSC side ? What powell patch should be in use? Thanks for your input.
  • @Nic after trying all the patches over many months, I finally settled on the Max Lat V2 lpowell patch for 25p on the GH1 at 1080 FHD mode, it is very stable. The only downside is you lose 50p in SH mode as it's converted to 25p. This patch works best for PAL users (as discovered by lpowell). My solution for 50p is to change the FW to the V2 75mbps peak reliability when i need 50p or just use my second GH1 which has reliable patch permanently on it.

My experience with Blackout - Powell patch in PAL mode was not as reliable as Max Lat V2, i've had one failure in hundreds of clips now of codec busting ocean footage. Average data rate is 42 - 48mbps writing to a Sandisc extreme 30Mbps SDHC card.
  • @truestory: unfortunately, if you connect via HDMI to a GH2 set to 720P mode, it will flip the camera into 1080i mode

In other words, you cannot use an HDMI monitor if you wish to shoot in 720P, which makes me sad :(
  • I am not familiar with the term "pulldown"?

anyhow I use Final Cut Pro, and that it should have around the same level as yours...
  • 1. Yep
    2. Depends on what editing process you use...I use prem pro cs5 and it does a good job deinterlacing just by dragging and dropping/edit into the timeline then output final product as a 25p file.
    Some editing progs do a better job than others.
    Benefit of 50i>25p is theres no need to pulldown....deinterlacing is generally automatic/hassle free on most editing suites.
  • yes thats true, meaning that I will have to buy the camera :-) which sounds good anyway.

Last 2 questions for now:

1. I suppose that the hack can be installed on both NTSC and PAL cameras?

2.The workflow if I have to skip the native 25p and go for the 50i to 25p conversion, does it take a long time to convert it?

and thx for your patience :-)
  • Me and Butt can be debating this..but only way to know is trying the patches
  • no - i think the Blackout-Powell is Allrounder . . .
  • except for if I want to shoot high detail on a tripod, is that correct?
  • @Nic
    the Blackout-Powell Patch is to 98% stable!!! (Class10!)
  • Thx Mimirsan,

I tend towards the Blackout-Powell Patch, since I will need slow motion from time to time, but if it is too unstable for my use, then better not.

I quite often shoot live events and here I cant do re-shooting as when I make short films where a crash from time to time is not a big issue.

• "So which patch is best (most stable) for progressive full HD 25p?"

Again none 24/25P NATIVE patches are 100% reliable...you might not encounter a crash though...you could be lucky.

I would say use Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch without ticking native 25p in ptools and deinterlace in post for super reliable recording.
  • Basically I would love to have all the qualities that you mention above:

But first of all I need progressive full HD 25p, and stable..and I understand that I can only get that if I use 50i and then deinterlace it afterward in post..

So I am a little confused about the recommendation regarding the FHD Native 25p shooting, using the Max Latitude Patch, since I understand that is crashes from time to time. I would love the have a stable native 25p Full HD PAL, but as I understand from the discussions above that is not possible.

So which patch is best (most stable) for progressive full HD 25p?

• Most people settle on one type of patch and only need to install it once.
  • I dont really get it,

the camera can work only with one patch at a time, and I will need to go to my computer to reinstall each time that I want to change?

• Also if you need file spanning lpowell RICPP--which has great quality, btw.
  • No, you can install only one patch at a time, and I recommend using the latest version of PTool.

For FHD Native 25p shooting, I recommend the Max Latitude Patch. If you also need SH 50/60p mode for slow-motion shots, I recommend the Blackout-Powell Patch. If you don't need Native 25p and want the most reliable high-bitrate patch, I recommend the 75Mbps Peak Reliability Patch. If you need the absolute highest reliability, I recommend the Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch.