Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hacked GH1 vs. Hacked GH2
  • 86 Replies sorted by
  • Since no-one explained specifically ... FPN stands for 'fixed pattern noise'. Also, be aware that if you are desperate for 25p the hacked GH2 can provide 720p25.
  • This is still a very confusing topic that has been created here regarding the 25P & PAL issue on the GH2..
    I am a GH13 user, most of what I shoot is 720P50...
    What I would like some one to tell me on the GH2 camp is can I get superior bit rate and hack improvements shooting 720P50 PAL on a GH2 if I purchase one...I am holding off as I don't want to get one if there is no advantage..
    Also one more question, can I still get HMI out shooting 720P50 with a hack installed....

Cheers

• So the conclusion is

1. As a PAL user that wants to film in full HD, 25p then the Gh1 is the only possibility, since the Gh1 wraps 25 progressive in 50i in AVCHD PAL [Full HD] 1920 x 1080 is that correct?

An one more question:

2. Earlier Mimirsan said

"if you have it native 25p it will still crash if you lock it down on tripod pointing at high detail...no matter what bitrate you use."

Is that true also for the PAL version of Gh1, or is it an issue only with the NTSC Gh1 hacked version?

• @NIC
    GH1(13) with Blackout-Powell Patch and you have no Problem
  • Nic its common for the native patch to crash on any GH1.
    Sorry Butt but the Blackout-Powell patch is not 100% stable Ive had 4-5 card error crashes with this patch.
    However there is a trick to stop the Native patch crashing...hold the camera and the movement seems to prevent it...Tripod lock down shots with highly detail scenes will usually cause a error.

If you record 50i then do 25p in post you will have no problems.
  • So AVCHD PAL [Full HD] 1920 x 1080, 50i is the only setting that offers stability..

1. Does that mean that I will have to stay on 17Mbps if I want stability in PAL 25p mode?

2. the transformation from 50i to 25p in post, how is that done? Just by deinterlacing? I work with Final cut, and use MPEG streamclip from time to time

• @Mimirsan
    sorry - I use the blackout-Powell with Class10 60Mbps with no crash. . .
  • Nic
    As long as you have a decent SD card you can use pretty high bitrates reliably & stable with 50i
    With GH1 and 50i you can just deinterlace with your edit program and looks great if done properly
  • Is it necessary to have the PAL version in order to have the stable 50i, or does it work as well in a hacked NTSC version?

I ask since it is much easier to get a Gh1 NTSC to a reasonable price, where as the PAL version is a rarity and quite expensive...
  • As Mimirsan suggests, the interlaced 50i wrapper used in the stock GH1 PAL 1080p25 mode is nowhere near the headache to deal with as the 3:2 pulldown used in NTSC 1080p24. If PAL deinterlacing isn't a problem for you, I recommend trying the 75Mbps GH1 Peak Reliability Patch. The 1080p25 mode in this patch turned out to be far more resilient than my Native 24/25p patches:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/334/75mbps-gh1-peak-reliability-patch-v2-update#Item_11

@Nic - Once it's hacked, any GH1 can be operated in either PAL or NTSC mode, regardless of what region it was set to when purchased.
  • So could you please give me the best full "prescription" for a stable PAL Full HD (1920x1080) progressive (25p) camera.

1. What software and patches....?

Some of the patches that I have picked up from the discussions are:

- PTool 3.55d
    -Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch
    -75Mbps GH1 Peak Reliability Patch
    - Blackout-Powell Patch
    -100Mbps Max Latitude Native 24/25p Patch

Do I need to install all of those?

Is anything missing?
  • No, you can install only one patch at a time, and I recommend using the latest version of PTool.

For FHD Native 25p shooting, I recommend the Max Latitude Patch. If you also need SH 50/60p mode for slow-motion shots, I recommend the Blackout-Powell Patch. If you don't need Native 25p and want the most reliable high-bitrate patch, I recommend the 75Mbps Peak Reliability Patch. If you need the absolute highest reliability, I recommend the Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch.
  • Also if you need file spanning lpowell RICPP--which has great quality, btw.
  • I dont really get it,

the camera can work only with one patch at a time, and I will need to go to my computer to reinstall each time that I want to change?

• Most people settle on one type of patch and only need to install it once.
  • Basically I would love to have all the qualities that you mention above:

But first of all I need progressive full HD 25p, and stable..and I understand that I can only get that if I use 50i and then deinterlace it afterward in post..

So I am a little confused about the recommendation regarding the FHD Native 25p shooting, using the Max Latitude Patch, since I understand that is crashes from time to time. I would love the have a stable native 25p Full HD PAL, but as I understand from the discussions above that is not possible.

So which patch is best (most stable) for progressive full HD 25p?

• "So which patch is best (most stable) for progressive full HD 25p?"

Again none 24/25P NATIVE patches are 100% reliable...you might not encounter a crash though...you could be lucky.

I would say use Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch without ticking native 25p in ptools and deinterlace in post for super reliable recording.
  • Thx Mimirsan,

I tend towards the Blackout-Powell Patch, since I will need slow motion from time to time, but if it is too unstable for my use, then better not.

I quite often shoot live events and here I cant do re-shooting as when I make short films where a crash from time to time is not a big issue.

• @Nic
    the Blackout-Powell Patch is to 98% stable!!! (Class10!)
  • except for if I want to shoot high detail on a tripod, is that correct?
  • no - i think the Blackout-Powell is Allrounder . . .
  • Me and Butt can be debating this..but only way to know is trying the patches
  • yes thats true, meaning that I will have to buy the camera :-) which sounds good anyway.

Last 2 questions for now:

1. I suppose that the hack can be installed on both NTSC and PAL cameras?

2.The workflow if I have to skip the native 25p and go for the 50i to 25p conversion, does it take a long time to convert it?

and thx for your patience :-)
  • 1. Yep
    2. Depends on what editing process you use...I use prem pro cs5 and it does a good job deinterlacing just by dragging and dropping/edit into the timeline then output final product as a 25p file.
    Some editing progs do a better job than others.
    Benefit of 50i>25p is theres no need to pulldown....deinterlacing is generally automatic/hassle free on most editing suites.
  • I am not familiar with the term "pulldown"?

anyhow I use Final Cut Pro, and that it should have around the same level as yours...