Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • Wi-Fi is a big plus, I agree. But for the moment I can still live without it :)

I shoot a lot for other people, who always want PAL 25p or 50i project. I don't do a lot of editing.

I was thinking about pre-ordering, but I will wait to test it first. If I didn't have GH2 at the moment, I would buy it this second.

• I guess for me the GH3 is a must buy. I "only" have the GH1, which is already outstanding with the hacks, but I may need a beefier video capability in low light and I must say the wifi potential seems really cool. The only question for me is wether I upgrade to a GH2 or if paying twice the price for the GH3 is worth.

• I just hope that the Image-Quality is at least a little bit better than GH2 and high-ISO-Performance is also a little bit better. I have enough Reasons to buy the GH3: Timelapse-Function (do we know, if it makes a Video or a Series of Photos? And will it go to Standby between the shots?), also 1080p50 (PAL) and p25 ( i can choose it). As soon when i have it, i will make some Tests in different Situations with GH2 and GH3. (with different Lenses on it, but all other things exact the same). Anf when i have the GH3, i think, i don't read any more rumors-sites, and i will not buy a new Camera before 2017. Because i try to be humble and want to use the tool, not always thinking about the next Cam.

• For me the gh3 will be very interesting as a true hybrid; in other words - not so much compromise when it comes to stills (as a gh2 is in comparison to many other cameras in it´s class).. This has a very specific use; namely for roaming (can be both personal use and commercial). This could also be in situations where I´d have to be very careful with the gh2 (to keep it alive), and when I wouldn´t want to bring more than one cam and a couple of lenses - in the wild, bad weather conditions a.s.o..

That said, I will make use of the 14 day return policy of my local shop to put it through it´s paces.

• is there a way to preorder with the 12-35 yet?

• sony don't even have a % of panasonic sales, so why would they gave their best sensor... maybe the GH3 have em-5 sensor but not nex 7 one, which is way better...

• Photo test with high iso
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gh3-sample-photos-20411
    More pictures and a video (can be downloaded)
    This is a sample movie at the highest quality setting of 1920x1080 pixels at 25 frames per second with 72Mbps in ALL-I. Please note that this 14 second movie is 124Mb in size. http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/panasonic_gh3_photos/

• @mozes thx, Jesus!!!! Seriously!!! these images are awful there's aliasing all over the place!!! WTF!!! What are your thoughts.

• Just wait for the full resolution releases...

• @Diffusion33

Well, it looks like the images have potential... detail seem to be there. But yea, it's a little artifact-y looking still. I'm betting that that aliasing were seeing now are just inexperienced shooters cranking up the in-camera sharpening and noise-reduction settings. And/or the early firmware models just have crude sharpening profiles.

• Every shot with sharpening turned on has looked a bit shit and every shot with sharpening dialed down has looked pretty good, from what I have seen..

Stills look great imo! Seems to be useful up to 3200 iso, 6400 at a push (for correct exposure). That´s all I need.

• they all go to the same zoo

• These photos are soft even with the 35-100.

• why is it so difficult to get a descent video sample in the early stages leading up to the release of a camera?

It would be great to see a tripod shot of moving cars and real people. Is this a lot to ask? Anybody know if something like this exists?

• for stills you buy a Canon or Nikon , not a panasonic. For video you buy a GH2 because is cheap and have fun experimenting hacks. For movies you rent an alexa. for the semi-serious fun stuff (stuff you make for free to be clear) you buy a GH2 because is cheap (again): and the GH3? Dunno.

Panasonic made a mistake for listening to the greed of the marketing people. In fact they had a golden opportunity (never seen before in the house (pana's house) with the GH1 and GH2 and they lost it, all because of the greed. Few will buy the GH3 and the overpriced lenses. Greed is not always the best bet in marketing, in fact the rule #1 is: identify and consolidate your share/segment.

Too bad. The others will release few restrictions and sell to the high price that Panasonic (simply put) can't afford in this segment. (cameras are for the 90% software and the rest (10%) goes between marketing and hardware. In any case the prosumer video offers are dead because of the ridiculous poor quality of the output, but guess why alexa and reds are so expensive? Marketing, rentals, end users clearly identified. Not because of the gear, but because of a good marketing. Again the GH3 is for...? whom? You don't kill a model like the GH2 unless you know what you're doing. /end of the rant

• @village_west

People always think that they know better than manufacturer :-)

Usually time proves that they are wrong.

• I disagree, the high ISO samples on the GH3 look great. Will have to see the RAWs later. With a m43, you can shoot 90% of what you want and sometimes it is better than using a FF camera. I shoot stills with my GH2 and I prefer it to the 7D I had for a short time.

• I have to share with you irish price (special offer:) http://www.camera.ie/products/panasonic-dmc-gh3-body

• Another video sample: http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/panasonic_gh3_photos/ Is it me or does it look a bit odd? Especially in the lower right the grey area has some kind of flimmering to it.

• Tools...only tools. We can adapt, learn and improve, methods and skills are more important than pixels and bitrate, just chose less tools...and go shooting Guys ! Thanks for your amazing work Vitaliy, following the project since gh1, i have a lot of respect you've done for all of us. I Will contribute untill m'y paypal Will work again. ( an old-timer coming from Cameflex and Hasselblad 500c years...and still shooting last days films)

• I took a quick look at the specs but didn't see the resolution listed for the flip out LCD on GH3. Does anyone happen to know (or know how to figure out) GH3 LCD resolution?

• 614000 pixels... And for now a list price there : http://www.photovore.fr/fiche-panasonic-lumix-gh3.html. French store, quite serious, even not the best.

• I really hope the GH3 can take pictures as good as the Olympus OM-D. So far I've heard so many mixed reviews about the GH3. Is it really going to be a big improvement over the GH2? Especially with the GH2 recent settings which do away with banding.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions