Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • I just find it odd that the general public would want to play unedited rushes on PS3's or IPADs. Surely you would at least want to string the individual clips together into a basic sequence before viewing - and that's where a simple PC (or Mac) based editing programme comes into play. So you can then output the file in whatever format your display device supports. It's the difference between an aquisition and delivery codec. AVCHD and MPEG2 are delivery codecs and should not be used in so-called professional recorders as aquisition tools.

• I am sure that Panasonic will work on remote applications.
    But we must also must work on same thing.

• Please just a plain old remote interface through cable :(

• Just donated. Found this forum after purshased GH1 -09. Thanks VK & co for the hack & I hope GH3 will get hack also.

• @Energy80s You're not thinking like the general public - you're thinking like an editor or content creator. :)

Some of the general public is fine with skipping around through a playlist of videos, like they would with songs they downloaded, as long as it means instant gratification.

The general public wants to be able to share what they've done or check what they've done quickly - and above all easily. Why wouldn't they take advantage of the chance to do that? Look at all the videos on YouTube that are un-graded, single takes.

I mean, if I had a kid and shot footage of them at a game and came home to my partner, I would want to be able to show them the footage right away - for instance. If I started playing it on my PS3, they would play in order and I could skip from clip to clip with the same buttons that I skip from chapter to chapter watching DVDs or Blu-Rays.

Why would that be unappealing unless my intent is to create some form of finished product instead of share or check what I had shot?

• All family staff always goes on PS3 for family in living-room. Staff which I shot but for someone else to edit PS3 is good enough for preview. However since we play with gop PS3 is not always working with some patches.

• GH3 can shoot in 72mbps, will it ever need a hack? :)

• @uppfade

It depends :-)

It shoot at 72mbps intraframe only at 30fps and below.

• @uppfade It features only NTSC or PAL frame rates depending on what model you buy, and the PAL version is ludicrously expensive.

So yes, it does need a hack.

• As a videographer and photographer (and plumber:) ) aboard the Sea Shepherd vessel the Bob Barker, we often used a PS3 to instantly play back footage from the hacked GH1, GH2, and GoPro to review confrontations on a large screen with several people watching. It speeds up our learning process and allows us to see where we can improve. I can take my 16GB cards put them in a tiny USB card reader, insert the reader into one of the PS3's usb ports and viola, instant playback of the last 13 hours in the small boats. I guess we are pretty fortunate to have had the PS3 and flat screen donated :) With the GH3, I can only begin to imagine all the benefits of in-camera Wifi for purposes beyond filmmaking - turns the camera into not just a recording device, but a communication device too!

• I think the proper question here isn't why is Panasonic still using AVCHD and MP4, but why the hell are they using a buggy, outdated 32-bit container like MOV when they should be using the far superior MXF OP1a container.

• "Once eight gigabytes has been captured, recording stops."

Uuuuummm...that's disturbing news. Does that apply only to the PAL version? I'd hate for my GH3 to stop recording by itself. That's one of the largest flaws with other DSLRs. Certainly the GH2 doesn't stop like that. It keeps recording and spanning as long as you have card space and power to keep running.

• @Jim_Simon Probably because very few players support MXF properly (though several NLEs do). Either way, I agree that moving away from Quicktime could solve a fair number of issues (like the inconsistent gamma handling that has popped up so many times).

• @uppfade "GH3 can shoot in 72mbps, will it ever need a hack? :)"

its a good question. Its very effecient. The new High profile level 5 utilising a mix of part 4x4 and part 8x8 intra mb prediction means the encoder is very capable of improving the transform percentage whilst using less bitrate in the process.

The problem weve got with the .mov (moov) wrapper is theres few elementary Stream tools out there which support Pany's implementation so it could be difficult to make/test settings. Judging by the coded headers of some of the Photokina demo files Ive seen its been quite tricky to analyse using Streameye (hit and miss), Streamparser (@cbrandin will have to try and enable /integrate a way of analysing mp4/mov streams), codecvisa, other tools etc... Im looking at getting in some demos of a few pro programs so we can analyse deeper the intra wrapper.

I do know that the highest i frames ive seen so far from intra mode demo files are below 500000 in I frame size, the declared bitrates are 69000000 and the buffer dpb is around 63000000. Intra scaling matrix is unknown. IQ=20. More on this will appear in the wiki shortly.

Im sure vk will soon establish if A/ it can be hacked and B/ which ptools patches are needed/unneccesary.

• I don't understand why every one talking about 72mbit/s. As far as i understand, the 50 mbit/s has much higher Quality. You know why? Shall i explain it? Because the life should be one big celebration.

• 72 all I vs 50 mbit long gop with CABAC ... 50 mbit all the way ...

• I really hope the GH3 is better than the hacked GH2. The film grain in Canis Majoris Night is amazing, just like a baby RED in my opinion. Especially together with the power of DaVinci. I hope the image from the GH3 also holds up in heavy grading.

• @thougts2uk, so far from those who actually tried to grade some of the GH3 footage, it seems that the footage holds up well. I can't point you to a specific post but I do remember reading some statements about the ability to grade GH3 footage.

• What i mean: 72 mb/s is only with all-I, which means, all Frames are single compressed. So 50 mb/s can have better Quality because the Compression is more effective, because is't over many Frames. I keep my GH2 and buy GH3. Then i compare them in the same Situation, especially at higher ISO. And hey Folks, my GH2 does ISO 25'600!!! You don't believe, then try this: Go to Manual Movie Mode, set it to A or S. Set Shutter to 1/50 (at 720p) or Aperture to the maximum. Set ISO to 12'800 and then start Video. Now set the EV to +3. Until +2 nothing happens, because the Camera is already on the Limit. But on +3 it gets brighter. So, for me this is a Software-Push to ISo 25'600.

• gh3 needs a hack. 72mbit isnt enough while 5d mkiii takes it to 90mbit. more over 73 mbit all iframes is only for 24p setting. 60p and other frame rate setting does only ipb. we hopefully need all setting in iframes. over 146mbit shows no difference in gh2. the limit of iframes in gh2 now reached its limit all iframe 146mbit intravenus and other upcoming settings. so hopefully gh3 will do over 146mbit as it already does 72mbit default.rolling shutter is a issue when it comes to top notch hacks. hacks above 144mbit sure does more roll off than the lower once. i have no idea what panasonic did to solve this in gh3.if gh3 does all mode iframes then its sure gonna kill most hdslr cameras.

• Will GH3 shoot better quality video than GH2, that is worth twice the price? If we don't use 1080 50p mode.

• @miza

It is wrong method to ask.

Ask if it is necessary for your real needs and tasks you have.

For example, if you frequently shoot ourdoors, sealed and better build body will be big plus.

• Ok, If I ask this way.

I'm very satisfied with GH2 and this is my type of use: - no photos - Shoot 25p or 24p video - in nice weather - mostly daylight - tripod or handheld (no need of Wifi)

The only plus I see for me is .MOV file.

• (no need of Wifi)

Btw, I think it can be biggest GH3 plus if we'll make our own software.
    So with your phone or tablet you could instantly change hack settings, color profiles, etc
    Very cool.

Shoot 25p or 24p video

Where you show this video?

For me it is always interesting to know this, as 30p and 60p modes are preferable if footage is made for internet. Yep, even in PAL land.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions