Personal View site logo
GH3 with AVCHD 2.0!
  • 39 Replies sorted by
  • Would have been nice to add 4:2:2... that would have set the whole industry on fire! One day...
  • @stonebat maybe we just start donating money to VK now for a couple of GH3 bodies. That way he is ready to preorder at announcement, and hack can be released a few months after launch :p
  • sorry my error those are only the AVC 2.0 Specs only... the MVC mode is for stereoscopic 3d it seems
  • @eoshd so based on the 43rumors link there doesn't seem to be any MJPEG in the gh3 does there?
  • @kikis No MPEG-4 and H.264 is a more sophisticated codec and MJPEG is basically a series of images with JPEG compression applied.

@Oedipax Yes 1080/50p would conform perfectly to 25p. Anything under 1/50 would be a 360 degree shutter and might switch the sensor mode to actual 25p. I don't fear 1080/60p or 50p I actually prefer it to 24p. At least with 50p you can have the choice of cinematic 25p or slow mo.
  • Is MPEG-4 MVC/H.264 the same as the current MJPEG for GH1 and GH2?
  • Too early to get excited about it. GH3 announcement this year. Start shipping next Spring. Lucky ones get it by next Summer. If we get lucky again, GH3VK around Spring 2013. Add a few more months for tweaking. So we are talking 2 years away from now...
  • where do I find one? :)
  • By Panasonic engineers. :-)
  • how can sensor mode be changed?
  • @kikis, I think MJPEG has always been capable of 24p, even in the GH1, it's just the sensor mode was stuck at 30.
  • Did you guys also read in the same post that the MJPEG will work at 1080/24p??

@Vitaliy
    So MJPEG can work at 24p then?
  • Seems like a pretty mild upgrade, but not bad for people wanting 1080p60.

No mention of 1080p25, does this mean PAL users get screwed again or is 1080p50 sufficient?
  • AVCHD 2.0
    1920x1080 @ 50/60p
    System bitrate: 28Mbps

Sounds pretty stingy, though that does leave plenty of headroom for hacking...