Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Again, another screengrab from my most recent project shot on Boom.

Boom LOMO 28mm/f2 GH2

Screen Shot 2012-09-25 at 3.18.13 PM.png
    2187 x 1229 - 3M
  • I recently recorded a music show, and the result was beautiful! I used the 444 sharp2 drewnet cluster v7... really amazing thankx everyone!

• @artiswar Damn that looks crisp! I may need to give Boom another shot. Did you CC that grab at all?

• ahh guys sorry for my confusion about spanning. i am new to the gh2. literally just got it yesterday and loaded the hack. i walked around my neighborhood with it today..... i was blown away by how amazing the video quality was....

great job guys!

• @Sangye - No CC yet. Only the Premiere gamma fix. 5000k WB on Smooth all -2 except for saturation. Boom is insanely crisp. And the fall off spectacular.

• @artiswar - Yeah it is! What I like about it is that it's crisp, but not oversharpened. I kind of dismissed Boom myself because some of my tests looked oversharpened, but that screengrab looks just phenomenal. I'm going to load it back onto my camera and do some more testing.

• I'm not seeing the banding I used to see in the skin tones, thank you to all involved!

Testing Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft' matrix from James Wells on Vimeo.

• @phazedreality818

"i guess it does span just not the way i had hoped."

That is the only way spanning works, for all cameras and all codecs.

• @splendiddd What Tokina lens does not work on the GH2? BTW, great looking footage and CC.

• @9voltdc: nice footage. looks good. about time i get my hands on some good leica glass ^^

• @vicharris Thanks! its the canon mount Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, it does not focus correctly, i think its a known issue...

• @artiswar Looks very good. Reminds me of film stock used in a lot of movies from 80s and even early 90s. I'm using Lomos as well (50mm, 28, & 18). Nice combo of Lomo & Boom. Curious about gamma fix in premiere you did. Are you referring to the problem thought was brought up a couple months go about macs messing up GH2 .mts files by having 14-235 instead of 0-255 (blacks crushed and whites blown)? I ask as I never got the scoop on who it affected and what solutions were (people editing on Macs, or people viewing footage on Macs in YouTube or Vimeo, or what). Hoping you may know.

Anyway - imaging looks great. Very interesting look/texture.

Thanks.

• @matt_gh2 - The gamma fix is simply reversing what Quicktime does to the gamma levels. EOSHD's Andrew Reid explains it best:

"This Rec.709 portion of a 601 space (16-235 instead of the full 0-255 the FS100 shoots in) is incorrectly remapped to 0-255 by Quicktime. Therefore apps that use Quicktime at their core like Premiere, trip up. This makes a huge difference to the image. When fixed, you recover over 10% of your dynamic range, highlight and shadow detail, along with a much smoother roll off to whites and blacks."

The fix is located here (for Premiere): http://www.eoshd.com/content/8612/mac-avchd-gamma-issues-the-fix

It give you drastically more data for color work than without it. Here's from the flat to color, from boom of course.

Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 2.38.27 PM.png
    1100 x 456 - 518K
    Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 2.38.16 PM.png
    1104 x 458 - 263K
    Test1.png
    1104 x 458 - 273K
  • @artiswar Thanks. Your recently posted images look great -- keep rockin!

• @Splendiddd Never heard of that problem. I know people that get bad ones but I've been using one with great success. It is a nikon mount but it should be the same guts.

• I feel like Ive just come back from Mars. Chile's Northern Atacama desert has to be seen at least once in your lifetime - its largely flat and littered with volcanic rock from eons past - you can see (and drive) for hundreds of miles and not much changes apart from the chameleon colours of sand and rock. Then there are the deep valleys of dust and rock - lining the flatlands are ranges of crazy mountains - and the Andes to the Pacific can be driven in a day! The driest place on Earth is certainly incredible.

Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 00.53.43.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
  • @driftwood , you must have some incrediable footage especially in low light.

• Hi Guys, Where are the downloads for these patches/settings? I'd like to do some testing also. Thanks, Albi

• @Albi Page 1 of this thread. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4391/apocalypse-now-boom-flat-4s-sharp-simulated-444-soft-matrix-driftwood-cbrandin-bkmcwd/p1

@Splendidd I do not know about the EF mount version of the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, but the Nikon certainly focuses just fine on the GH2 with any decent adapter. In fact, it is one of the most widely recommended wide-angle lenses for the GH2. Is it possible there is something wrong with the EF adapter you are using for your GH2?

• The Moon / Caracas/Venezuela

MOON.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 109K
  • ”The fix is located here (for Premiere): http://www.eoshd.com/content/8612/mac-avchd-gamma-issues-the-fix”...

If I use Windows7+CS6. Do I have to fix this problem, or it is just for Mac? Thank you!

• @artiswar: that would be my question, too. Is it just a Mac issue?

@driftwood: really looking forward to see some footage from there. There are really places on this planet that seem from another time or out of another dimension...

• Here's a quick look at the .mov all-I GH3 matrix (sans the 8x8 matrices which don't exist on a GH2) running on a GH2.

Settings are quite basic (Q20 rate control with the 24p L setting set on 72Mbps and the H setting souped up to 144M the 1080i HBR is set to around the 72m mark but will probably produce all-I files in the range of 50M, the 720p is bog-standard (sic!) Cluster 7 matrix for now so no need to experiment).

This is PURELY another test setting. Its not that radical under a GH2 as the provision of 8x8 matrices in a GH3 enables for more efficient encoding.

seta.ini.zip
  • @driftwood: thanks a lot! Do you think it will offer something that Sedna and your other intra settings did not offer?

• Hello all,

I can't wait to test it. But where is the download link please?

All my best. D.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions