Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Here's a footage of bright sunny outdoor scenes with Apocalypse Now Soft 444 and pancake 20mm. I always wanted to get that "Kodachrome" look, and this is the closest one yet.

• hi there , it is my first post. APO NOW SOFT 444 helios 55 and sankor 16c , edited and CC on Vegas pro

• APO NOW SOFT 444, Canon 50 mm FD. Really an amazing setting, the most film like grain ever!

• hi all, my shot using Nebula 6 with Rokkor 58mm , edited and CC on PP

• hi all, my shot using AN Nebula Sharp 444 with Nikkor 135mm:2.8 , edited and CC on PP. This was shot during Chinese Ghost Month Festival in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

• @exilenorth YES, i use a setting that is all -2... but still the blacks are too deep and the latitud seem too tight... thanks for your interest.

• Does anyone have an experience using the Lexar 128GB SDXC Memory Card Professional Class 10 UHS-I?

• @pundit superb screen shot,.how is the performance of 17.5mm nokton?? do u have any test video done with it??

• Hey, here's a finished product with AN 444 footage (nebula sharp) for the handheld interview parts. (BTS concert shots are Flow Motion due to better efficiency when filming an hour of footage)

• @silvertonesx24 absolutely stunning!

• NEW!!!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.3

This C1.3 is the setting stabilized more from C1.2.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.3 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Seta.ini - Released 25/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/88237#Comment_88237

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• @silvertonesx24 Amazing work! Congratulations! Which shots were from the 5D, by the way?

• @peternap Thanks! I really like the natural grain of AN444. Combine it with some extra grain layered on top and I think it really comes across nicely for shots of faces, especially close up.

• @mlysbakken The only 5D shots were locked down interview shots. Everything else was GH2. All interview handheld stuff was AN444, which in my opinion is the best hack for faces and closeups. Flowmotion was used for the live shots, as this hack is best in my opinion for getting the best quality/size ratio for long shoots.

• whenever i film, it only records up to 4.1gb and then stops while using the AN drewnet soft hack. on camera it says its still recording, but when i go to check the footage, it stops at 4.1gb which is about 10 minutes worth of footage.

edit: using a sandisk 64gb 95mbps card. installed everything correctly. filming is 24H and 24L

• @phazedreality818: "sometimes it spans and sometimes not", first page of this thread.

• i discovered something. its not that it stops at 4.1gb... it starts another file that finishes at 4.1gb and when the next file starts it stops at 4.1 and on and on. and in premiere when i put one after the other, it is seamless. so i guess it does span just not the way i had hoped.

• well that is spanning, thats how it works. please correct me somebody if i am wrong.

• Does anyone know why i cannot access 720p and the mjpeg modes when a field monitor is attached? When i unhook the hdmi it works again, but when i connect it the options are gone...

@Mirrorkisser, yes the spanning works, however there is a (very) tiny delay in the recording with this patch that i did not have when spanning with the old quantum 9b patch...

Maybe a noob question.. but i rather record i 29.97 fps than 24, due to that i mix my footage with that of the 7D on a Crane (a lot of movement, 24 is too stuttery) however luckely Premiere accepts every mix of framerate and codecs. What is the best mode on the GH2 for 30p? and how do i set it up? i can only see the interlaced option, am i missing something?

Regards,

Rob

• @phazedreality818 @Mirrorkisser yeah, that's what spanning is. You won't get files larger than 4.1GB with your GH2, regardless of what patch you use. Spanning means that it automatically starts another file after filling a 4.1GB file, without any dropped frames.

• @Splendiddd if your footage looks stuttery, it's more likely that your shutter speed is set too fast. Try to keep it between 1/50 and 1/25 for smooth movement. I've never, ever seen 24fps footage that looked too stuttery due to the framerate, no matter how fast the motion was. Footage with too fast of a shutter speed, on the other hand, can definitely look stuttery.

To answer your question, though, HBR in NTSC mode records in 30p. Some of the patches are optimized for 30p, but they use motion JPEG, and cannot match the image quality of the best 24p patches.

• @voelkerb

Nice images. Did you grade the footage? I hesitate to try the soft settings because i use only prime lenses. Dun want things to look even softer

• @Sangye

Thanks for your reply, however i know about shutter speed should be set to 50 @ 24 and 60 @ 30.

Look at the two following clips (the jib crane shots) the first one is shot at 29.97 the second one is at 24 (on the 7d but the result is the same as on the gh2) Slider movements are ok in 24p maybe i am doing something wrong in post... I did test several different sequence settings aswell as camera settings, i did think the 30p recordings (and video's) are a lot smoother...

30p crane shots:

24p crane shots:

I will futher do some tests with shutter speed and i will stick to the 24p mode on the GH2 as i only use the 7D on the crane due to the amazingly wide tokina lens, witch btw does not work on the gh2 :-)

Thanks!

• @Splendiddd: very nice, love the CC! you seem to be an after effects pro? :) did you use colorghears?

• @fatpig haha your funny, no i am not a pro in ANY way, to be honest i am a beginner! I just started working with dslr's and ae for half a year or so... I learned the camera tracking and c4d from youtube and vimeo tutorials with a lot of patience and trail and error :-)

Grading i did the basic grading in PP and some adjustments in AE

Look at this great tut, its not for c4d motion but this is one of the tuts i started with...

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2011/12/how-to-make-an-animated-title-sequence-in-cinema-4d-and-after-effects/

Btw i used the new 3d camera tracker in cs6, not the way Nick is showing, its amazing!

Thanks for the the compliment though :-)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions