Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @silvertonesx24 absolutely stunning!

• Hey, here's a finished product with AN 444 footage (nebula sharp) for the handheld interview parts. (BTS concert shots are Flow Motion due to better efficiency when filming an hour of footage)

• @pundit superb screen shot,.how is the performance of 17.5mm nokton?? do u have any test video done with it??

• Does anyone have an experience using the Lexar 128GB SDXC Memory Card Professional Class 10 UHS-I?

• @exilenorth YES, i use a setting that is all -2... but still the blacks are too deep and the latitud seem too tight... thanks for your interest.

• hi all, my shot using AN Nebula Sharp 444 with Nikkor 135mm:2.8 , edited and CC on PP. This was shot during Chinese Ghost Month Festival in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

• hi all, my shot using Nebula 6 with Rokkor 58mm , edited and CC on PP

• APO NOW SOFT 444, Canon 50 mm FD. Really an amazing setting, the most film like grain ever!

• hi there , it is my first post. APO NOW SOFT 444 helios 55 and sankor 16c , edited and CC on Vegas pro

• Here's a footage of bright sunny outdoor scenes with Apocalypse Now Soft 444 and pancake 20mm. I always wanted to get that "Kodachrome" look, and this is the closest one yet.

• Hi everyone, it's been a few months since my last hack. I see the 444hack sharp, sharp2, and soft. My question is how do you know which of the three zip files to download again? I'm shooting an event with speakers and interviews. Suggestions for which one?

• 3 x ungraded screen captures using Apocalypse Now 'Boom!' - Intra GOP1 24p Flat 4 matrix

4megs per frame (png)... Yikes!! ;>)

All shot with the Voigtlander 17.5mm at F4.0 - 160iso - 1/50th sec (handheld no rig)

All Standard profile -2, -2, -2, -2

Skin tone on the old fellow is a bit 'blah' as I used 'Standard' when I should have used 'Smooth' plus the mix of window and overhead tungsten lighting.

Roll off at the extremes seems less abrupt than I've seen previously.

Thanks to all those who have made this possible.

@driftwood I forgot to mention AN Boom Intra GOP1 24p Flat 4 matrix will playback in camera most of the time. However about 25% of the time it won't but switching off and on again fixes the problem. As a matter of interest Nick would you have expected playback at all or not?

00108.MTS_snapshot_00.01_[2012.09.24_12.25.46].png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    00096.MTS_snapshot_00.35_[2012.09.24_12.14.17].png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    00105.MTS_snapshot_00.08_[2012.09.24_12.19.44].png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • "give these guys a break on your hack vas. other hacks."

I actually kind of appreciate such comparisons. I'm a shooter who wants the best quality for everything I do, but from a single hack that I can use for all my needs. I don't want to be switching things around, especially on set.

• @Driftwood Gorgeous location, Nick. :)

• Cant help much at the moment till Im back home in the UK. This is where Im at right now. Chile and the Volcano at Parinacota. B frame :-)

Nebula at 8000metres up in chile.png
    1280 x 1048 - 1M
    AN Boom Cluster v8 at 8000metres up in chile.png
    1280 x 1048 - 1M
  • @danielvy Did you try adjusting the contrast in camera?

• @Driftwood Can you help me with a doubt. Is there a posibility that in you incorporate in the new hack some kind of "matrix" or "Curve" that reduce the high contrast of the image, so we can achieve more alatitude from the native footage. Thanks!

• @voelkerb great test! I like how you give us a very commonly used lens and showed off what AN soft is really great for. I'm not totally sold on using any AN hack for my softer lenses yet (such as my super takumar 50mm f1.4), as BOOM just isn't reliable enough in my book, but this is a good example of where AN soft really shines.

Otherwise, I still have a hard time telling why I would use this set of hacks over any other hack I've seen put out by Driftwood, LPowell cbrandin or bkmcwd. I think the voigtlander test really shows when I WOULDN'T use this patch, but really there are no videos on this thread that are making me go "wow, how have I not been shooting filmic images from my GH2 before?!" Right now I'm just thinking of using this patch for the awfully video-esque kit lens and that's it.

• @ahbleza Looks like motion blur more than anything else. That's a pretty active bunch.

• @peternap From the setting point of view, I think it's fine. It just seems very soft -- more so than can be accounted for with focus. Lens is the Voigtlander f0.95, with a x16 ND filter to allow shooting at f4.0. Skin tones look good to me.

• @ahbleza What do you think is wrong with it? (as far as the setting. )

• Not sure how I feel about AN 444 Soft. More likely it is a problem with my crappy shooting, but here is a clip from a couple of hundred I shot today in Brooklyn. Lots of movement.

• I tried 3-4 different patches for a year or so with 20mm pancake, but Apocalypse Now soft 444 is definitely THE match for it. This is the best footage I've gotten from the camera/lens/patch combo so far.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions