Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • When instal "Soft" hack does it also effect the picture modes on the GH2?... I still like sharp pictures though!

• @driftwood @all Here's a 2 minute dramatic scene shot with Apocalypse Now IntraVenus (Candidate 1). Vimeo did a bit of hack job on the quality, so I would recommend downloading the original 344MB file from Vimeo. Even then, it looked much smoother/sharper when viewed directly from camera on 62"HDTV and looked much better when viewing in Adobe Premiere Pro. (Shot in 1080/24P)

• Sorry, vimeo embedding not working . Will correct later tonight and post.

• Vimeo.com/48626707

Here's the link to Apoc Now Intra test. Shot in 24P. 2 minute dramatic scene. Sorry for duplicate posts - couldn't get embed working.

• @matt_gh2 Vimeo have big problems...

• So many ppl uploading huge raw GH2 files! XD

• @driftwood **** NEWS & APOLOGY **** During the process of beta Release candidate to the final release parts of the AN 444 sharpe settings for Nebula and DREWnet matrix info got mixed up in the save process and uploaded. Please note - the correct settings are now up as 'sharp2'.

I'm a little confused about the revised "sharp2" matrix. The original Cluster v7 Nebula and Drewnet sharp INI files contain the following "Apocalypse Now" I-frame matrix, designed by Chris Brandin:

004 004 004 255

004 006 005 255

004 005 006 255

255 255 255 255

The new "sharp2" INI files contain an I-frame matrix from a different patch:

004 004 004 005

004 006 005 006

004 005 005 168

005 006 168 255

Is that the correct "sharp2" INI file? The reason I'm confused is because the sharp2 matrix is significantly different than the one proposed by Chris Brandin.

• 'Apocalypse Now - Drewnet 12/15 GOP' hack description states: Upto 80+M for Top Quality 1080p24 at Q15 Upto 40/56M for quality HBR/FSH & 720p modes at Q15

but the INI file shows: Initial quantizer=16 Quantizer for 1080 modes=16 Quantizer for 720 modes=16

is that right?

• @bangkng The Quantizer=16 settings you're referring to are found in the "Drewnet 12/15 GOP 444-sharp matrix" patch. In practice, moderately detailed scenes that make use of the patch's full bitrate will use coarser average quantizers than the patch settings indicate:

24H: avg Q=18 @ 70Mbps avg; 95Mbps peak

HBR: avg Q=26 @ 40Mbps avg; 60Mbps peak

SH: avg Q=24 @ 45Mbps avg; 60Mbps peak

• @lpowell you are right. i was looking at the sharp file. soft file has quantizer set at 15.

• @driftwood

I released the 444 soft matrix version of Valkyrie now. I am also waiting excitedly about the release of your IntraVenus. :-)

@all

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/81033#Comment_81033

The 2nd is not the right setting although I have uploaded two "Valkyrie 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin '444 Soft Matrix'" accidentally.

Please download the 3rd right zip file.

1st : Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO

2nd : Wrong zip

3rd : Valkyrie 444 Soft Matrix

@Lambo

Many thanks for testing 444 TYPE-ZERO! :-)

• Sedna sedna sedna sedna

Any love for this good `ol patch :) Will the 444 apply to this as well?

• @exilenorth just testing the new settings. Driftwood said it may span or not, so I tested. Got an interview to shoot on Tuesday and wanted to use the GH2 so I care about spanning.

Maybe the "Drewnet 444" Version spans. IF not, back to older hacks.

• @driftwood I'm not seeing cubing on my computer...? I'm doing a digital zoom program "sony vegas" that you can see these artifacts. I have good vision, I would not have seen all the cubes in the fifteenth frame. I do not know how to prove to you that this is not just my imagination,flash memory in this also is not to blame, the bitrate at drewnet v6 and v7 in the same place, but different results.

It will be better than youtube http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/936971/

Thanks a lot! Check the new version (sharp2) these artifacts disappeared :) I remove videos from youtube?

• @lpowell Welcome to the thread. The original matrix is the Soft variation.

• @driftwood You have not answered my question. I delete a video from youtube?

• Hi @shon im at airport getting a flight. Answers when i touchdown and get lappie out

• @bkmcwd - your post at the top of the thread is a bit confusing - is the correct version of your patch the one in the middle, or the one on the right?

• @mrbill Thanks for your indication. :-) I corrected instantly. Do you understand now?

1st : Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO

2nd : Wrong zip

3rd : Valkyrie 444 Soft Matrix

• Hi @driftwood ! First of all, thanks a lot for your awesome work regarding the hacked GH2 ! I have the same concern as @Tobsen. I shoot interviews and many of them last for a veeeery long time. Is there any chance that your powerful hacks span with a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC 64GB 95MB/s ? I tried both Apocalypse Now Nebular and Drewnet soft, without success. The GH2 just stops recording which it reaches the limit of 4.29GB... Enjoy your trip in France !

• @bkmcwd very awesome, I'm using at the moment the 16gb 45mb/s and is very stable.

• @Lambo Thanks for feedback! :-) Since it is meaningless if it may be unable to use, I am giving top priority to stability.

• @Driftwood and @blaisejadoul with Nebular 444 sharp I found that it is more likely to span in 24p, while HBR usually doesn't (3 tests, once it spanned over two files and stopped then). My recent 24p test ran for about 31min and created three files that worked perfectly in Premiere CS6. DREWnet doesn't span in HBR (based on 2 tests). 24p spanning test is running now...

EDIT: 24p spans as well in DREWnet 444 sharp.

@Driftwood the Apocalypse Now settings look really nice! Would be great to be able to use them on interviews as well. Have a good trip!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions