Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • I think it's pretty safe for them to announce this. Making IS work means just supplying power to it, while autofocus is far more complex, where you need to calibrate for every single lens.

• just learned in the black magic forums that they are planning on adding Image Stabalization to their ef mount black magic cinema camera in the next firmware update and that it should even work with ef-s lenses.

That's all i needed to hear. I was super excited about the gh3 but the reality is hack or no hack, the era of avchd/h.264 aquisition for professional film/video makers is at the beginning of the end.

I'm in Hollywood making a living off of avchd/h.264 video with a little r3d mixed in (when there's a budget for it.) But soon as the cat's out of the bag with the bmcc camera, that's all the folks that want their shows shot on red but can't afford red rates will be asking for.

I already have canon glass from 17mm - 255mm. So the switch to bmcc will actually be cheaper:

The gh3 with a 12-35 and a 35 - 100. Total including tax and selling my canon glass = $3690 vs BMCC (and using it with my current Canon glass) $2999 + 10% tax = $3300

I've grown a huge chip on my shoulder watching these dslr/m companies milk us by barely trickling out video tech upgrades over the last few years.

I feel like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she walks into the uptight clothing store and says to the clerk that refused to serve her the day before: Me as Julia Roberts @ Photokina "You work on commission right?" Canon/Nikon/Red/Panasonic/Sony Sales reps "yup" Me still as Julia Roberts @ Photokina "Big Mistake, HUGE... I'm off to Black Magic"

now i just have to keep my fingers crossed that BMCC actually does get I.S. working in ef-s lenses.

• @sammy

So think of it like this (and this should be true with any RAW camera) if it's 13 stops of Latitude in RAW and the native ISO is 800, than at 800 ISO in ProRes or DNxHD in LOG mode you should theoretically get 13 stops or very close to it. That said, if you go to 200, 400, or 1600 ISO you will loose some latitude. With 400 and 1600 ISO you'd theoretically loose 1 stop and only have 12 stops (which is still great). This is because you are 1 stop away from the Native ISO. At ISO 200 you should be losing around 2 stops bringing you to 11 total stops of latitude. This is because you are now 2 stops away from the native ISO.

Basically if you want the full latitude of the BMCC, but want to shoot compressed ProRes or DNxHD that make sure you are on the native ISO 800.

• that BMCC vs 5d miii vid could really get some momentum going for the BMCC

• @sammy, two post back in this thread

• Any one seen a video comparing or know if there is major difference in regards to DR, latitude, and color while shooting RAW vs ProRes vs DNxHD ,thanks

• Big smiles from me .. the difference is even more than I thought it would be.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thanks, just found teltec there has good prices also. Anyone knows if they ship to all Europe? I am based in Lisbon.

• @peaceonearth thank you! Thats the cheapest i've found so far. Here it retails at 2495€ plus 23% tax

• @peaceonearth can you please send me a link?

• @MovieArmada there is no difference between EF and MFT model. At least there should be. Is there an "official" price? I see 2249,- net at my supplier.

• anyone knows the official price in Euros for the BMCC MFT?

• @cupanudles That's a really interesting comparison. I can't wait to try it out next year.

• The 5D Mk III gets eaten alive in that test.

• Excellent review is up!!!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev this is amazing news!!! just hope has decent price :) Can't wait to see some tests.

• @MovieArmada

Remember their new 10mm lens :-)

• i am really interested in checking how samyang 14mm f2.8 (EF or Nikon mount) and samyang 7.5mm f3.5 (MFT mount) or samyang 8mm f3.5 (EF or Nikon mount) will perform in the BMCC. Samyangs are a cheap solution and if you add the 25mm f1.4 or the 35mm f1.4 you should be ready to do a LOT of things. Can someone test the 14mm and the 7.5 or the 8mm?

• Am I a masochist to hope that my pre-order takes a bit longer so I can feel less bad switching it to the MFT?

• For interest, I was speaking with my supplier in Western Australia, they have 4 orders for BMDCC .. all 4 orders have been changed to micro4/3

• I recently got the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 after serious deliberation with the Tokina 11-16. I just decided that the extra 2mm from 23mm to 25.2mm was worth losing a half stop on the BMCC. So far, I love the Sigma, I have been shooting with it on my GH2 the last two days. The zoom is very smooth and usable during a shot. It has a great look and is very clean.

• It would be nice to have a RAW to RAW end-to-end workflow. Perhaps CS6 may support it, or even Blackmagic with a very basic cut editor. Shoot your footage, cut it and then grade with Resolve. End to end lossless RAW!