Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • Well, I pre-ordered the BMCC. I love the video -- and even though I don't like the lack of 60p, after getting into yet another argument with a producer about gh2 footage being able to hold up on TV (I seem to have to have this argument every few months) I decided 422 50mbit+ (and then some) was worth it to me, as is the modest future proofing of 2.5K.

I swear to god, the single biggest barrier to creativity in this industry is stone-age tech specs and those who slavishly adhere to them, preventing talent from breaking in and instead giving all the world to old guys with $40,000 cameras and the equally expensive PL lenses, even though half of what they shoot is deadly boring.

Bring on the revolution I say (not that it matters, TV as we know it probably be dead in 10-20 years with the possible exception of live sports).

• Totally agree. This camera is the first to give us image quality on par with any big studio film. I love it.

• @JDN

Dude, you have my sympathies, cos that was how I felt 2 years ago. Every dinosaur that crawled in the studios was given easier access to new projects simply because dinosaurs have cultivated longer and perhaps deeper relationships with the powers that be than you and I have. It's mutual masturbation, the commissioning editor throws out good money to "safe" or familiar people they know who can deliver work. It doesn't matter how you shoot them, or with what: as long as there are decent sound and images at the end of the day, that's all they care about. The result: bad bad programming that creates a downward spiral for content development.

But with the advent of new technology, we can change things. We dun need these dinos and the T rexes, we dun need terrestrial broadcast to get noticed. There's always webcast, and the possibilities with this platform are infinite. Best of all, the BMCC is more than great enough for this platform for many aeons to come. That's future proofing for us

• Watching some of Roger Deakins work again, and i have a feeling that look and depth of colour will be possible with BMCC. That's a first.

• @JDN

Dude, you have my sympathies, cos that was how I felt 2 years ago. Every dinosaur that crawled the studios was given easier access to new projects simply because dinosaurs have cultivated longer and perhaps deeper relationships with the powers that be than you and I have. It's mutual masturbation, the commissioning editor throws out good money to "safe" or familiar people they know who can deliver work. It doesn't matter how they shoot them, or with what: as long as there are decent sound and images at the end of the day, that's all they care about. The result: half assed programming that creates a downward spiral for content development.

But with the advent of new technology, we can change things. We dun need these dinos and T rexes, we dun need terrestrial broadcast to get noticed. There's always webcast, and the possibilities with this platform are infinite. Best of all, the BMCC is more than great enough for this platform for many aeons to come. That's future proofing for us

• Man everytime someone posts some new BMCC footage on Vimeo, i'm blown off my socks by the colours and grading possibilities.

• Vitaliy posted aprototype lens by Samyang that could help a little on the wide end:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4580/10mm-f2.8-ed-samyang-lens#Item_7

• Maybe that is kind of a noob question, but I am not so good at electrical engineering. Would it be possible to modify a MFT to Four Thirds adapter like the Olympus mmf-2/3 to be controlled by an external control unit? Like what they did with Canon EF lenses. Then there would be options like the Olympus 9-18mm zoom or the 11-22mm. Just a thought...

• About wide lenses for BMCC. I asked Rokinon about wide mft lenses and they said "yes, stay tuned...".

Rokinon.jpg
    632 x 132 - 16K
  • Good news. I need to add this for focus points to ask Samyang on Photokina.

• It would be nice to have a RAW to RAW end-to-end workflow. Perhaps CS6 may support it, or even Blackmagic with a very basic cut editor. Shoot your footage, cut it and then grade with Resolve. End to end lossless RAW!

• I recently got the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 after serious deliberation with the Tokina 11-16. I just decided that the extra 2mm from 23mm to 25.2mm was worth losing a half stop on the BMCC. So far, I love the Sigma, I have been shooting with it on my GH2 the last two days. The zoom is very smooth and usable during a shot. It has a great look and is very clean.

• For interest, I was speaking with my supplier in Western Australia, they have 4 orders for BMDCC .. all 4 orders have been changed to micro4/3

• Am I a masochist to hope that my pre-order takes a bit longer so I can feel less bad switching it to the MFT?

• i am really interested in checking how samyang 14mm f2.8 (EF or Nikon mount) and samyang 7.5mm f3.5 (MFT mount) or samyang 8mm f3.5 (EF or Nikon mount) will perform in the BMCC. Samyangs are a cheap solution and if you add the 25mm f1.4 or the 35mm f1.4 you should be ready to do a LOT of things. Can someone test the 14mm and the 7.5 or the 8mm?

• @MovieArmada

Remember their new 10mm lens :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev this is amazing news!!! just hope has decent price :) Can't wait to see some tests.

• Excellent review is up!!!

• The 5D Mk III gets eaten alive in that test.

• @cupanudles That's a really interesting comparison. I can't wait to try it out next year.

• anyone knows the official price in Euros for the BMCC MFT?

• @MovieArmada there is no difference between EF and MFT model. At least there should be. Is there an "official" price? I see 2249,- net at my supplier.

• @peaceonearth can you please send me a link?