Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • For who wants 720p i-frame.
    Check: Driftwood Quantum v9c, and Quantum X 'SpanMyBitchUp' v2b..

No 120fps is a real breaker for me, thats what i was hoping for in the new gh3.
    and off course focus peaking, my eyes are not so good anymore, it shut be a great help..
    but i didnt plan a new cam in the next year, so who nows how the cards lay then on the table

• Panasonic should drop their so called pro dpt alltogether. Or at least shape it up considerably. A lot of useless things coming from there.. Maybe too many products for too few engineers or bad engineers for too many products. And no interface design whatsoever.

It´s a bit sad, that when there is finally a chance for gh seriers to STEP UP into something considerably more useful they only go half the length.

I will most likely make good use out of the gh3, in any circumstance. After watching "genesis" on a big screen I started to suspect it was the same sensor as the om-d, or a very similar one. Good for stills. Video should be OK (when used correctly), but I won´t be using it as an a-cam in any other circumstance than when I want to bring one camera ONLY for shooting stills and video.

• From what you you write, Panasonic had just one possibility out of 100 to miss the next camera and they caught that.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev Is there any chance to see the GH3 shots got form photokina before Mr. Valdemort will post his own? :)

• Seriously, download the random 'paris night' video, an drop it into an editing timeline, lots of room to play with in post in terms of latitude, despite its ultra-compressed form.

• Just get a BMC if you want footage that is good to grade. Use the gh3 as b-cam. Simples. 2200 euros for the body + 12-35 kit is good value. I was a bit worried they would sell these out as chips, completely ruining the value of the single purchased 12-35.

• allready asked philip bloom if he can speak to somebody from panasonic team at photokina or elsewhere about the hdmi problem.... got answer about few minutes..:

sad, but we have to do something, I don´t want to spend another 2years grading f**ing 4:2:0 footage :(

• I see that many critical GH3, while I is not even out yet ... If I remember correctly at the beginning of the GH2, the case was also criticized panasonic and video quality camcorders barely exceeded amateurs . Today it is completely inversse the GH2 surprised by its quality video, thanks to VK hack :) and some even compared to the big Red Epic camera ... So I think that we must leave some GH3 time before taking the notes also the gh2.

I'm waiting to see if the GH3 VK hack and then I take it, not before! : D After I make a small donation of 50 euros, I made ​​a promise! because even when you have done a lot, a lot of work on our old and must GH2 :)

• 422.... I lived without it on the GH1 and GH2 for three years now, I'm sure I can deal with it gone on the GH3. Yes it would have been nice but remember, it's a $1300 camera. It's a bargain price for these specs. They can't give us everything. I was expecting a bit of pain with the release, but nothing else comes close in this price range. It's all relative.

• So does already anyone know, which stupid guy decided, that GH3 deserves lower resolution screen than G5? And similar fuck-ups, like missing high FPS, etc... Panasonic should definitely make some cleanup within their organisation.

• Estimated Ship Date: November 30

• I don't get it. Everyone asks for a long list of improvements but then complains when panny actually does them and then asks for more money.. This stuff isn't free, you know.

• @rajamalik Just to be precise the output from hdmi output from Nikon and Sony is 8bit not 10 bit. The second thing is that Canon does not give clean uncompressed hdmi in anyway. Sincerely it is impossible to put Canon in a gh3 thread because they are still giving you more or less the same shit for the last 4 years.

• 4:2:2 but not only in the hdmi out, but also in the internal mov and mp4 compressions.

Focus peaking would be great too. Is there a histogram? Then you can work with that instead of zebra.

Low light looks much better than with the GH2.

Hope the GX2 will have a stabilized sensor like the Olympus OM-D EM5. That one is exceptional, but the video features of that camera are unusable.

• @kihlian The price with the 12-35 is justified and I was expecting it to be higher. You realize you are getting 1300$ lens with that cam body right?

• @rajamalik I wouldn't pay a 1000+ more on a body just for 4:2:2, and that's the only thing going for those cameras right now. If the GH3 is going to be hacked, I don't see why the native mbit that panny has chosen to allure to most consumers is a problem for people like us with better cards. Not to mention those Nikon and Canon cameras don't have 1080 60p 50p, that's majorly alluring to someone who would like their films in slow motion while still being able to be played on a large screen (note how many people mentioned how good Genesis looked on a big screen, I think that counts for something). The canon 5d mk3 is ludicrous I wouldn't buy it if it were a 1500 dollars cheaper, the only other cameras that are of interest are from Sony, and both are a whole lot more expensive than the GH3.

The only one that I personally am interested in other than the GH3 is the Sony A99, because I'm also a photographer, and taking pictures with the vg900 is ludicrous.But at that price point, I think Sony has lost me. I don't own many lenses that would be good on full frame, and I also have a lot of other equipment like sound equipment, other lenses and lights to think about. Unless you're making bank and willing to go all in on a camera that's going to be marginalized in the next 2 years, it's a waste of money in my opinion. I think anyone who can afford it, and who isn't interested in photography, the Sony's probably have the upper edge, but otherwise I think the GH3 is again the best hybrid with the most potential, IF they figure out that 4:2:0 problem their having.

• @DrDave I agree. Personally, I don't need peaking so much, but many people want it. So I through it in again. I am not a tech guy, but peaking and zebras (which I really would like to see also) shouldn't be a big deal ti implement, right? 4:2:2 is my main concern.

• @rajamalik -1 for false info.

• @DrDave Gotta say it...that was the best thing Ive read in this thread.

• I think if we could get the french guy who made the video to raise these concerns @PhillipBloom any chance you could raise some of the issues we're having here with Panasonic, I really don't understand why they didn't consult with the likes of vitaliy and driftwood on this....

• Let's not turn this into a Panasonic vs its competitors. That current spec list is already good. But there're somethings that the GH3 should have must have like; 4:2:2 uncompressed out.

• @RyanPW it seems there will be hacks for the GH3 as well so soon, expect this fall. but, it wasnt so much improved than the GH2 only few modes up. 60p 50p then all iframe 72mbit for 24p, better auto focus, slightly improved low light performance. nikon and canon started to release all their cameras with 10bit 4:2:2 uncom hdmi port. nikon d600 d800 d4 canon 5d mk3 sony a99 sony vg900 and so on. still panasonic is in the last row (lost row).

• I can totally understand why some people consider some features "must have" features. For me, it is aliasing, for others it is focus peaking, zebras, and so on.

IMHO focus peaking is a nice feature, but even well implemented on a big external monitor it really doesn't help as it shows too much that is "in focus". I kind of use it for a quick DOF gauge. But you have to ask a basic question, which is if you have focus assist, and you still can't focus, well, that's a bigger problem. It means you can't tell what is in focus.

Ideally, you should have zone peaking, where the center spot is red, the near field is blue and so on. But just drawing boxes around objects on a tiny screen, well, OK. If it helps, but doesn't seem like a deal breaker--if you have trouble focusing, basically you need a bigger screen.

Now False Color, that would be a very nice feature, although you can get by with zebras.

I predict that even with the smaller sensor, the camera will be a success, because it will appeal to a wider market that is not interested in hacks but ease of use. And here I think the sensor was, shall we say "simplified" as part of marketing to a wider audience. If the GH3 really does not have better IQ, which so far it doesn't, well, why shouldn't I just spend my money on a Marshall monitor or something that will really make my vid better, like lights or rigs. And if the IQ really is better, well, can't wait for the price to go down, because realistically, it isn't going to be a big difference. It's even remotely possible that the hacked GH2 will just be a teenie weenie bit sharper then the GH3 with the fabulous work of the people here and the larger sensor.

• @rajamalik that was actually @christianhubbard s addition the the inofficial petition list ;) Good to hear you agree!

• @Manu4Vendetta that's really impressive at 1600 and 3200 iso. Great low light performance no matter how obnoxious the chick is.

I REALLY want to see some back to back comparisons of the gh2 and gh3, especially in scenario's where clearly the gh3 is going to kick the gh2's ass. Color, DR, Low-light, slo motion, 11 steps, huge amounts of customization...

4:2:0, the price, and the new sensor are the biggest disappointments for me as well, and I don't think we should give up on figuring out some way of getting to 4:2:2 from Panasonic. It's an absolute must. If they figured out a way for clean hdmi I wouldn't mind forking over the money in a pre-order. However, I'm still very impressed with all of the features of this camera. It might not be the camera I want, but it is a significant upgrade otherwise, and if it's hack-able, there's absolutely no reason to not choose it over the gh2.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions