Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @Mimirsan well they have the new canon 6d for only £250 more. I'm in at £995, but at that price it will have to be one hell of a sensor.

• I think those complaining about those complaining should shhhh. It's our right, and perhaps duty to point out things which we like aaaand don't like about what we have seen so far.

Personally I only have two initial gripes that will put this camera out of my sites for now. 1) Price. $1000 would have had me saving pennies till november, but I think I will save those pennies for a nice voigtlander lens instead, and hope the price comes down on the gh3 just in time for Vitaliys lovely hacking skills to be utilized.

2) No 120 fps. I hope that is coming though, if only for 10 seconds (20 would be wonderful).

• what is the dynamic range ? 14 EV? kills nikon d800?

• I wonder if we will get meta data in the .mov files. Would be nice to see the P, Profile, lens aperture, ISO etc. Silly that we don't already have that, even as a sidecar file.

• This camera has TONNES more new features than GH2, which didn't do crazy more than GH1 yet most still upgraded.

But for the UK, how on earth did $1300 convert to £1549? Surely it would be £999 region like the OMD.

• Man it compensates vignettes???? And I had to sell off my C mounts. Time to seek out those TV lenses again

• @disneytoy

I wonder if we will get meta data in the .mov files. Would be nice to see the P, Profile, lens aperture, ISO etc. Silly that we don't already have that, even as a sidecar file.

You assume that everyone shoots in full manual mode and that the settings don't change during the video. How would you record the settings for Shutter Priority with Auto ISO? It would be continuously changing. There really is not a good way to record this for video. You could display it onscreen. That would be cool. Otherwise it changes too much to be useful for some people.

• A few screenshots of analysis;-

1080p50 modes first, showing 4:2:0, AVCHD High Profile 4.2. This stuff looks the same as g5 in 50p mode. The high bitrate 50M Long GOP mode in the 3rd picture .mov mode shows a min QP of 4 and a max QP of 11 in the i frames - definite good signs.

4th Pic. Some of the scaling tables employed in the 1080p mov hi bitrate mode.

More stuff coming soon...

GH3 AVCHD 1080p50 mode streameye.png
    1275 x 671 - 335K
    GH3 AVCHD 1080p50 mode.png
    1263 x 671 - 117K
    GH3 AVCHD mov 1080p50 mode streameye.png
    1231 x 645 - 237K
    GH3 mov 1080p50 mode streameye first three scaling quant tables.png
    865 x 751 - 58K
  • @driftwood

1080p50 modes first, showing 4:2:0, AVCHD High Profile 4.2. This stuff looks the same as g5 in 50p mode.

Is that a bad thing? Will you be posting the videos for us to see as well? Also what about the .mov files. Those are the ones everyone is interested in, right?

• Thanks to @AKED, who sent me some GH3 AVCHD and H.264 video files to analyze. It will take some time to examine them all, but the first two I've looked at reveal some interesting details. The AVCHD file is a 1080p50 28Mbps MTS file. The H.264 file is a 1080p50 50Mbps MOV file. Both files have the following properties:

1. High 4.2 profile in 8-bit 4:2:0 color depth
    2. 24-frame GOP with standard IBBPBB structure
    3. Both 8x8 and 4x4 quant matrices used in I, P, and B-frames

The AVCHD encoders used in the GH1 and GH2 were only able to use 4x4 quant matrices. The extensive use of 8x8 matrices (as well as 4x4) in both AVCHD and H.264 GH3 files indicates a major upgrade to its encoder. If it works as efficiently as H.264 encoders used in other DSLR's, the GH3 encoder should be able to produce high quality images using significantly less bitrate than a hacked GH2 requires.

• @LPowell

Did the 50 FPS file have 24-Frame GOP or 25-Frame GOP?

• As a wildlife/bird shooter the GH2's ETC function is a "gift from heaven" - just an incredible asset. A GH2 mounted on a heavy tripod/heavy video head/lens support produces stunning files. Basically I get an EFL over 1500mm with the 100-300mm Pany lens at 300mm.

Currently the GH2's 4608 x 3456 sensor is "cropped" to 1920X1080. In other words, only the central 2 Megapixels of the sensor's overall 18 Megapixels is recorded.

Does the new GH3 employ similar technology?

Thanks!

• @Tex

It is slightly less magnification for the GH3. 2.4x, and 3.6x. But still plenty.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/specifications.html

Extra Tele Conversion

Still Image: Max. 2x (Not effective with L size recording. Magnification ratio depends on the recording pixels and aspect ratio.) Motion Image: 2.4x, 3.6x, 4.8x (Magnification ratio depends on the recording quality and aspect ratio.)

• @driftwood I´m interested in .mov files too

• @mpgxsvcd Both 50p files use a 24-frame IPB GOP. The only exception is the initial GOP in each file, which has 25 frames.

• For now, still a little bit underwhelmed by the video. The cat one really felt like video, I don't know if it is the contrast lack of dr or depth of field that looked really deep. But if you are not just a sharpness addict, it is a bit disappointing.

• I did not see an answer for the hdmi output. As they say it is good for monitoring but what about recording. The gh2 can monitor through the hdmi but recording is bad because of the odd cadence. So is it recordable?

• @danyyyel

I'm with you. The DR actually looks like it's pretty improved to my eyes, but the actual video footage is underwhelming in regards to resolving detail etc. It still has the GH Mojo (feel), just not the GH2 clarity.

• @Kholi do you mean that it is better?

The wide-DR mode seems at first glance to be a sort of Red HDRx type of mode. They show over/underexposed frames being combined for a wide-DR, and then they say that it's available in video shooting too.

• @Lambo Hehehe, that was released days ago ;)

• @danyyyel See the quote I posted from the B&H page, which strongly suggests that HDMI recording works at the same time as SD Card recording.

• @danyyyel

The DR is definitely better, especially with highs. Not three stops better but at least it looks to be just barely edging over 10, could be 11 with the right processing.

For 1299.99 11 usable's not bad, but I imagine you'd have to have a worthy HDMI out (8 422) or some Hack sauce to get it.

The extendedish DR or wide DR is usable in video. But, again, what's the point if it's getting killed by that All-I ugliness?

• I'm sure the DR is improved, I'm looking specifically at the shot of the girl near the end of the cat video. The colors seem sorta "Panasonicy" but everything else looks very different from the GH1/GH2. Not saying this is a bad thing, but it def has more of a Sony vibe.

• The electronic (rolling) shutter in the GH3 seems to behave similar to one in the G5: there are limits on ISO<1600; exposure time < 1sec; and no flash. Memory cards: UHS-I is supported.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions