Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @inqb8tr

It is same compression. Just different containers, as in all previous Panasonic products.

• CNN: The electronics company Panasonic said Monday that it was suspending operations at three plants in China after two of them were damaged amid violent anti-Japanese protests set off by the clash between Beijing and Tokyo over a group of small islands in the East China Sea.

..... Probably not effecting Lumix cameras (new GH3s, G5s....) production, right?

• I'm a little let down.... Maybe I was putting a lot of excitement into utilization of the wifi as a potential streaming wrapper.

Like others have said, lots of incremental updates that I probably could have tipped for, had the body price be ~$1000 ish.

On top of that though, I might as well wait and see anyway - both for a price drop and what magic VK can work on it if he plans to go for it.

• magnesiun body is expensive for waterproof system. nikon and canon magnesium body are expensive

• Tapeless panasonic products that i had my hands on have only had one - avchd container, so I was curious if this multi container option brought something else new. Thanks for clarification.

• ...dont see a lot of reasons to upgrade from an "old" GH2 to GH3 if this are the "final" specs and price. Its a better camera? Shure. Worth spending a lot of money to upgrade: NO.

• what time will be the official launch today?

• disapointing so far but let's wait for the official announcement later today. Would it still be worth to upgrade from a GH1? I was looking to buy a gh2 then heard about gh3 so now I am not sure the extra $ is worth... I use the GH mainly for video purpose

• Aka Don't cry for me AR GH3 NTINA ? LOL

• Very funny Derek. I bought my GH-1 way back when it was just released. I've since discovered this community and hacked it running @ 50mbps... I love it. I also have the AF100 and since pana keep asking for feedback I've been harping on 8bit 422 and AF100 becoming king of 8 bit. I've been waiting for GH-3 and woulda thought you guys would be ecstatic at I-Frame and 50mbps recording. But I hear disappointment... I'm going to ask a simple question after all this. Is it better to buy a GH-3 or 2 and why... (there is obviously more going on than it seems to the casual observer)

• May I am missing something .. from what I read there is nothing to make me think that I will get a better image from a GH3 compared to a patched GH2.

Am I missing something .. or am I well advised to just wait and see if Vitaliy can reverse engineer

• @kavadni

Let's stop our cries until press conference, announcment and initial previews, ok?

• The contrast between current Panny users complaining about the GH3 here and Canon users thinking of jumping ship to the GH3 in the nofilmschool comments is ironic.

Though, not all of them are so smart..."I also have the suspicion that some of the “extreme” bitrate hacking was just to show off the hackers’ prowess. After a certain point, I’m convinced bitrate is basically a placebo effect and impossible to distinguish." lotta factuals in that statement ; )

• Yes dumile. I tested my hack and no matter what I did I couldn't get more than about 33Mbps on chip and the rate never went below 12Mbps on a static shot. its VBR.

• All, welcome to http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/press-conference

I am in touch with guys via Skype, so you can pass something to them via me or twitter

• On the 'professional' ruggedness of GH-x. I've shot around 60 hours of television on my GH-1 in Australia, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Slovakia, Poland, Britain in extreme hot, cold wet and dry conditions. It has never failed me. It's pretty bloody tough so I don't know how much real difference a metal body is going to make... perhaps that's like VBR too... it only needs to be as strong as the lens mount.

• http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3/5

MOV (H.264) resolution, frame and bit rates
    • 1920x1080 (60p/50p): 50Mbps
    • 1920x1080 (30p/25p): 50Mbps (IPB), 80Mbps (All-I)
    • 1920x1080 (24p): 50Mbps (IPB), 80Mbps (All-I)
    • 1280x720 (60p/50p): 50Mbps (IPB), 80Mbps (All-I)
    • 640x480 (24p): 10Mbps
    MP4 (H.264) resolution, frame and bit rates • 1920x1080 (30p/25p): 20Mbps
    • 1280x720 (30p/25p): 10Mbps
    • 640x480 (30p/25p): 4Mbps
    AVCHD resolution, frame and bit rates

• 1920x1080 (60p/50p): 28Mbps
    • 1920x1080 (60i/50i): 24/17/13Mbps
    • 1920x1080 (24p): 24/17Mbps
    • 1280x720 (60p/50p): 17/13Mbps
    Audio 44.1kHz Mono (Internal Mic), Linear PCM
    File Formats MOV, MP4, AVCHD

• Indeed. I dropped my GH2 from the top of a 6foot tripod (baseplate wasn't secured correctly) onto a tarmac road and it still funtions perfectly - not a mark on it!

• Haha yes! We still have multi-aspect!

• http://www.videoaktiv.de/201209178045/News/Foto/Photokina-2012-Panasonic-Lumix-GH3-der-Videostar.html first announcement in German. They speculate that the price might be below GH2 intro price.

Update from Photokina Team: Camera in Europe: 1.199 € Battery grip around 300 €

• It's official, 12 full stops of Dynamic Range!!!! YES!!!!

This is what I want to hear. Pleaaaase.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions