Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • @danyyyel an interesting comment and I think it holds true with tighter shots but with wider shots real care must be taken to force the lens open -- for my taste, for instance, the demo put up by john bradley (the car crash love story) had too much DOF in mediums and wides and I found myself visually distracted by the background. Not meant as a knock against him as it was all well done, just not my aesthetic so if and when I use it I'll definitely be loading up on some heavy NDs for the Matte Box.

The carnival scene was also helped by the fact that the background was visually interesting -- but often its not and thats when you really want the shallower DOF that may be a bit more of a struggle -- although much less so now that there is that M43rds version and some nice fast glass in the 12 - 25 range.

• What is nice with the carnival movie above is that most of the time the main subject is in focus and I will call enough shallow dof. It is not as if every time he is like pumping in an out to get the subject in focus like you see in many apsc but more so ff sensor. Some shots were a little overexposed to my taste with a bit white sky, when it could have been a little less. But it was the first shot and truly run and gun.

• One reason I will stick with the ef mount, is there are times when I don't want to miss or mess the shot. Sometimes auto focus can be a life saver. Call me lazy or whatever, auto focus is a feature to me.

Still, you may want to get an FF and pull your own focus, as not every shot is static. Also, no AF is 100% where you need it to be and no AF is accurate 100% of the time. Why risk ruined shots? The BMCC has a screen that is good enough to pull focus so I was just wondering why not do it? Not to mention that continuous AF in video looks horrible.

• @johnnym Thanks for sharing on the video. Looks like a fun day breaking in the new camera. How many GB's of data do you capture that day?

• I own a 5D mk II that I got the first day it shipped. I added GH1 hacked and then couple GH2's hacked. Use GH2's for most video work now days. Still use 5D for 2nd or 3rd camera and 98% for stills. (cell phone gets other 2%)

I have ef lens and mft lens as well as a boat load of adapters and a few old Nikon manual lens.

Ordered the BMCC camera the day it was announced and go back and forth whether I really need it. Probably not, but want that extra DR. I have everything I need except for the SSD's (which I have bought just 1). Have enough batteries to probably shoot for 15 or more hours, just not the storage space.

The MFT announcement has me thinking. I wish they would have made an interchangeable mount so I could use all my lens. That not being the case, right now I'm thinking I'll stick with the EF mount. Wide will be a little of an issue, but not a deal breaker. Have the 16-25L lens. Sold my Tokina 11-16 about 6 months ago and may repurchase or go with the sigma 8-16mm. Can either use a another camera for ultra wide shots or move myself and camera back a little when space is available. Not an issue to me.

One reason I will stick with the ef mount, is there are times when I don't want to miss or mess the shot. Sometimes auto focus can be a life saver. Call me lazy or whatever, auto focus is a feature to me.

I know some peeps say this isn't a camera for this or that, but just like when the 5D mkII came out, I (we all) jumped through hoops to make it work and overcome some of it's shortcomings because of the image.

The BMCC is so simple, elegant, and the DR is enough to make me believe that overcoming some a few issues is not going to be that big a deal.

• They alluded to the fact that higher framerates might be coming with a firmware update. I'd imagine 60p is doable.

• 1080p60 in BMCC would clinch the purchase for me. Even 1080p48 -- given 48p movies are being editing in avid right now, surely there is a DNXHD codec with 48p support on the horizon.

I find slow motion is one of the most important tools in filmmaking, be it doc or drama (http://www.totalfilm.com/features/20-coolest-slow-motion-scenes/ -- don't agree with the entire list, but good refresher one of the most important tools in the dramatic kit.)

I can't quite convince myself to pull the trigger on the BMCC without it. Even though I love everything I've been seeing lately. And yes, I know, I could just have a separate camera for 60p... but really, I want it in one camera. If BMCC adds this feature in firmware update -- even in some sort of time limited burst mode to prevent overheating -- then I'm in.

• @kazuo

kazuo wrote: "BMCC should have just embraced mft from the start. Think about it, pp who are used to shooting FF will have alot to consider before making the switch to BMC despite the EF mount. ..."

FF is a tiny percentage of the video production market. Even APS-C is a relatively small part of it. Most video production is done using sensors 2/3" or smaller.

It's true that FF video shooters need to consider a few things before switching to the BMCC. They'll probably need to consider adding an ultra-wide lens to their lens collection (such as the Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 8-16mm) if they don't already have one.

The BMCC EF & m43 crop factor is typically not a big problem for most video production situations. For "normal" wide shooting, lenses such as the Tokina or Sigma are perfectly adequate and cost <$700 US. Obviously there can be exceptions, where better or more flexible lenses are required. In which case, use a different lens or a different camera.

There's not 1 perfect camera for every production.

Until BMD releases new firmware, BMCC EF shooters also need to go without IS, at least temporarily.

Other than the above issues, people accustomed to shooting FF video get the same benefits from the BMCC as the majority of video shooters who are accustomed to smaller sensor sizes.

As a "fully supported" (well, not quite yet) electronic lens mount, the BMCC EF offers benefits to video shooters. Plus, if BMD adds IS and other support, the BMCC EF model may become even more valuable. It doesn't matter if most video shooters don't use "auto" features most of the time. Most video shooters use auto features at least some of the time, so that makes it valuable.

Your comment about people switching to the GH2 instead of the BMCC seems a bit odd. As a GH1 & GH2 owner I know they are less expensive & smaller than the BMCC, and their video files "more efficient" (smaller). But the BMCC's video quality (both ProRes 422 HQ and CinemaDNG), plus its software bundle, are vastly better than anything a GH1/GH2 can achieve, hacked or not.

In my previous posts I was trying to make the point that the BMCC EF version is more valuable to me than the BMCC m43 version primarily because it will hopefully be available months earlier. I'll also use (at least occasionally) some of the "auto" features of the electronic EF mount that the BMCC m43's passive mount doesn't offer.

If the BMCC m43 were an electronic mount, I might have decided to wait for it because I own 3 Lumix lenses. But it isn't. And I don't own any manual native m43 lenses, and won't be buying any soon. So for me, a BMCC EF in the hand is worth two BMCC m43 in the bush.

But other people may have different reasons and situations, and thus make different decisions. That's OK. It's all good.

• What I want to know is if 1" C-mount lenses will cover the entire sensor of the BMCC without any vignetting...don't know if there's a way to test this or will we have to wait until the camera actually comes out?

• @thepalalias ah, sorry I misunderstood you. Can´t answer your question.

• @RRRR Thanks, but that does not fully answer my question. I wanted to know the actual size of the pixels, since with ETC mode you are getting pixels 1:1 instead of downsampling from a higher resolution.

My question is: how much smaller is each pixel? If we are dealing with 1:1 pixels, then that is what determines the apparent magnification for each pixel for each camera if using the same lens from the same position. If we were talking about the full readout (instead of the minimum 1920x1080 crop) the situation would be different.

• @peaceonearth: there is soo much more to choose from! (overall)

The slrmagic 12mm will be a gorgeous wide on the bmc. For instance.

@thepalalias it seems like the crop of the bmc horizontally will be the same as the gh1 had. 2x, rather than 2.3? Or just the same width as a 4:3 crop on the gh2.

• Psyched for the MTF, just wish I didn't have to wait until winter! I'm still going with EOS, and if its humanly possible to have the mount switched on mine once they are available I will make it happen.

• Very nice interview.

• @peaceonearth a lens mount that's closer to the sensor lets you adapt a much broader array of lenses - not only Micro Four Thirds.

Additionally, I think that all lenses made by Panasonic and Olympus which use electronic contacts on Micro Four Thirds Systems are pretty much useless since they are focussed electronically rather than coupling the focus ring directly to the parts being moved for focussing. This makes using focus gears and Follow Focusses almost impossible.

• Is the choice wider on mechanical m43 lenses??

Yep :-) Also many old and new C mount lenses can be mounted via converter.

• I don't understand why lot of people are so enthusiastic about the passive M43 mount. Most criticized aspect of EF lens mount was missing wide angle lenses for this small sensor. Is the choice wider on mechanical m43 lenses??

• @yachacha trying to get the BMCC to behave like an ENG camera might leave you disappointed. However, if you can make it work, you'll have beautiful ENG footage :-)

• @johnbrawley I just meant that the camera was available with a PL or EF mount but you did not have to choose one or the other - they could be swapped repeatedly on-site. I could not think of other cameras that had implemented that approach so I was making sure I understood the post correctly. :)

I do not think anyone is unsatisfied with the pricing approach to the new M43 mount on the BMCC - in fact I think BM will get good PR for the way they are handling all this. I personally do not think another mount is needed (beyond m43 and EF) for the camera when the adapters already work so well, so I wanted to make sure I understood what the poster was going for.

Personally, I think the passive M43 mount greatly increases the appeal of the BMCC. It would be great if we could use lenses like the 7-14mm Panasonic, but I understand that a lot more R&D is involved in an active mount and I am glad they will releasing a passive mount quickly instead of waiting for an active one to be completed.

Plus, other than using wide lenses, there are very few things to complain about, and an awful lot that is looking very good.

Now would someone be able to tell me about the respective pixel pitches of the GH2 and BMCC so I can get a sense for how the magnification will compare between 1920x1080 ETC on the former vs a 1920x1080 crop on the latter. ?:)

• The widest Nikon zoom with a manual aperture ring is the 17-35mm f2.8:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1735.htm

Nikon also made a much less expensive 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 zoom:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1835.htm

At a somewhat narrower zoom range, Nikon and Tokina made 20-35mm f2.8 zooms:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2035af.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/20-35mm-f28.htm

Tokina also made inexpensive 19-35mm and 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 zooms:

http://www.lenstip.com/255.2-Lens_review-Tokina_AF_193_19-35_mm_f_3.5-4.5_Pictures_and_parameters.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/20-35mm-f35-45.htm#comp

For inexpensive wide-range zooms, Nikon made 24-85mm F2.8-4D and 24-120mm f3.5-5.6D:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2485af.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24120af.htm

These lenses are all available in Nikon F-mount, which can be readily adapted to the MFT mount. The Tokinas can also be found in Canon EF mount. The focus rings of the Tokina EF-mount lenses turn in the same direction as Lumix lenses (as do all Canon lenses). The focus rings of the Tokina F-mount lenses turn in the opposite direction as Lumix lenses (as do all Nikon lenses).

I have the Tokina 20-35mm f2.8, and it is an excellent, video-friendly lens. Its front lens barrel neither rotates nor extends, it has very little focus breathing, and it remains in-focus across its zoom range. These features make it work well with follow focus and matte boxes.

(Note: I'm not normally a Ken Rockwell fan, but his cheesecake shots of these lenses sucked me in!)

• m43 is very interesting, suddenly the camera becomes a good partner to the voigtlanders, I bet we see the price of the used noktons increase towards retail.

I've seen the suggestion of the Tokina and the Sigma for wide zooms. Are these the widest zooms available that work with the BMCC and M43 adapters? What is the widest possible lens for this camera, prime or zoom?

Now M43 to B4 for 2/3" ENG lenses exist, are these lenses now going to cover the entire picture without using a 2x extender? I've seen some older 1/2" ENG lenses as well, is it possible to cover the sensor using one of these? Although I'm guessing the 2/3 lens might be a better option by using the center of the glass perhaps it helps with the problems of using 3 chip glass on a single sensor. I know these lenses are never going to offer the sharpest results, however the ability to remote zoom is very important to me in certain applications and ENG lenses do it the best.

In the argument to get this over a GH3, a big negative is the lens crop, and I would bet the next revision of the camera bumps up the physical sensor size. However the light capability and recording formats make it an incredible tool if it delivers. I would guess many GH2 users who are shooting in a professional setting will have 2 camera bodies in their toolkit.

• @thepalalias you mean the $2000 interchangeable mount ?

• I think Black Magic saw my post at the beginning of this thread and suddenly realized that they were potentially missing out on my business...

It will be interesting to see where the specs and prices shake out. Probably there will be some trade-offs, but the MFT-mount BMCC will put some feature and/or price pressure on the GH3 without a doubt. That's great for us. I have a feeling we'll have a lot of time to mull over the decision and pixel-peep a lot of footage before either of these cameras becomes widely available.