Personal View site logo
New roller slider on eBay

A 1.2m roller style slider for just under $200 plus shipping. Comes with both standard and bowl mount which is a definite time saver. Not sure what kind of bearings are used though I'm sure it would be much smoother than friction based sliders such as the Igus etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-42-3-inch-Video-Slider-Dolly-Track-Camera-Camcorder-Dolly-Car-Tracking-/110927672681

imageimageimage

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Ahh! Looks very promising! I just returned one of those Igus type sliders. I don't know who would find those usable?

• I've just sent the seller a question asking what the dolly truck is made from. I would hope metal not plastic.

• It is not new, really.

But sliding base is simplified compared to previous variants.

It has issues, like big weight of rods. Also legs are not very good.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I concede it's not new but the price is quite a lot lower than most similar roller sliders I've seen.

I have an Igus friction slider and it is very difficult to achieve smooth movement. I think for $198 this roller slider looks a better option.

I contacted the seller and the base and bowl are metal with rubber rollers.

They have another version for $298 which the base can be steered in standalone operation. I'm not sure of the construction until I contact the seller again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5D2-7D-GH1-Slider-Dolly-Track-Camera-Camcorder-Video-Slider-Dolly-Car-Track-/140796526473

slider_truck.jpg
    400 x 266 - 13K
    slider_truck_2.jpg
    400 x 266 - 14K
  • @pundit

I know, I have similar one.

Get my good advice, get light Varavon slider and extra small dolly, if you need one. It'll be much lighter, compact and better working solution.

• @vicharris, I modified my Igus slider to be more usable! Used some metal shelf brackets and added some bearings to the ends and fit on rubber O-rings so it rolls better on flat surface ground or carpet.
    Cart it around with a tripod head angled up for super low shots!

Slider1.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 216K
    Slider2.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 179K
  • am i mistaken if i say, this has no advantages over metal industry standard dry glider/slider?

• @fatpig

What do you mean? If thing in the firs post of the topic, it has big advantages.

• I ended up buying the Varavon Slidecam 'S' though Vitaliy's special deals (thanks Vitaliy). Quality is excellent and the slider very smooth and versatile due to its mounting options. I am now in the process of motorising it.

• I always wondered how much those rods bend when the camera is right in the middle.

• If you mean steel rods - they do not bend at all.

• I meant the rig in the first post. Are they solid or hollow? I have a hard time believing anything longer than 1 meter wouldnt bend if you tried putting anything larger than a DSLR on it.

I've seen some motorized versions of a similar system (two rods in the air and the carriage) and it was bending quite a bit (it was a bit longer though).

• @mk47

I have no idea.

If it is steel rods, they are solid and do not bend. I think you can put 25kg on them and they won't notice.