Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @peternap I like the soft variation best aswell, even with my old soft canon fds. nowadays i only use media player classic to playback my files. windows media player and vlc are often acting strange and somehow i dont manage to configure them properly.

@zaven13: thanks for the up. I still think its still kind a difficult to compare due to the different lighting conditions. plus has the lawn been reworked meantime? but it would be great if you could redo the shoot, because those two settings, plus valkyrie fight for the crown right now ^^

• @Mirrorkisser @Shon Thanks! The machine is plenty fast but could be the video player. I never had that happen before. At least it's not the settings.

I had a chance to shoot some last night with both cameras on a tripod so I can compare the soft and sharp. I still like the soft better even with the legacy lenses.

• @Zaven13: It's unbelievible what you can get with driftwoods "Apocalypse Now 444" patches, amazing, what a difference!

• Here are two frame captures from the same scene in two different days but it shows you the difference in color and softness between FM 2 and AN Nebula 444 soft.

FM2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    AN Nebula 444 soft.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • AN Nebula 444 Soft Voigtlander 17.5mm - 0.95 ISO 160

Greetings from Ecuador and thanks :)

• @peternap: it plays just fine on my pc. Maybe you should try another video player or your cpu, memory etc is too slow for playin back such files? My cousin hat the same problem.

Apart of the footage being shaky and not being shot from a tripod i cant see any problems at first glance.

• @peternap What is wrong here?

• IntraVenus and Boom??? wow its gonna rock!!

• So far I'm liking images from the Lumix pancakes with the gop6 soft setting. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than original matrix. But it did feel different look and feel.

Same gear. Different look and feel. No complaint :)

• @eyesoul Not sure either but I love the look. I've pretty much gone all tokina and rokinon glass, nikon mount and it all looks great with this. Going to try the old Nikon AIS stuff next.

• This is the breaking up I had with AN Drewnet sharp 2

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9852776/00009.MTS

• @vicharris don't know if this is good glass so to speak but I shot it with a old Olympus OM 50mm 1.8..don't know about photos but this lens is sharp wide open & looks great for video,looks even better with the new settings.I didn't mention it earlier but I was very impressed with the lowlight performance of 'AN' cluster 7 as well.

• @goanna thanks for the info

• @jakepowell i'm in the same boat as you, best thing to do now is just test both of them. whats keeping me from trying any of the 444 "Sharp" is that i only have panny lenses and I dont want my image to be more sharp than what it is now... Maybe a future AN setting that will not add sharpness or softness to the video? Who knows but kudos to Driftwood and cbrandin for the best GH2 settings imo.

• @eyesoul Nice looking stuff there! I'll have to say this is blowing me away. Anything I shoot with good glass is just amazing. What glass where you using here?

@EYESOUL - I envy your ability to trust your own eyes. Me, I've given up (or else my old eyes have). I can't tell anything from an LCD and even my opinions of my own footage changes each time I see it afresh. I've decided to put my faith in others' expert opinion based on testing.

Perceived quality changes not linearly with bitrate. The curve shows a flattening trend at higher bitrates while at lower bitrates the perceived quality deteriorates very quickly.

By Fabio Sonnati https://sonnati.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/flash-h-264-h-264-squared-part-ii/

• Lots of discussions on the new settings front...

I have the Voigtlander 25mm, SLR Magic 12mm and Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4.

What Apocalypse Now settings are best suited for those lenses? I'm only interested in maximum quality with a film look and best grading opportunity.

• I don't know technically what these 'Apocalypse Now' settings are doing to the images & color but I love it! It almost looks like "knock on wood" better canon footage,not as sharp & videoish as previous GH2 footage I have come across but yet still very detailed and believe me I have footage from just about every setting on the planet.

I'm more of a hip hop & r-n-b video guy,in the past I have always spent a lot of time trying to rescue my footage from looking so GH2ish if you know what I mean?All I can say is this footage responds to color different & the images just have a certain vibe & feel to my eye. technically I can't explain what's going on but I know I'm getting the best images I have ever gotten out of my camera hands down! thanks to all involved making these setting possible.

below are screen grabs of video I shot with AN Nebula "Sharp 2". as a test I added some quick preset looks from magic bullet which always look horrible lol but on this footage to my surprise it looked quite decent,almost like the colors melted into the image. Am I on drugs or does this footage have a more organic feel far as image & color rendition?

1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @goanna it won't enlarge / download so seems a little redundant....

• @cbrandin @driftwood if 444 soft is a 9 or 10% resolution loss what is the loss on the sharp2 matrix settings? is there none? if so is sharp2 still working towards more organic colour space and a 444 look? or something else? ( i see statements about the soft 444 matrix emulating that look by working on a 333 matrix type thing, so this loss in resolution comes from knocking the luma back then sharp does not use this type of matrix ? so no loss? but still 444 emulation attempts? ) thanks..... i am learning, but its a lot to take in , sorry if I'm being a bit noooby

• I guess I was wrong about AN Drewnet sharp 2 flickering. I uploaded the file to Dropbox and it's not doing it now.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions