Personal View site logo
GH2 Stutter/Judder/Strobe issues discussion
  • 218 Replies sorted by
  • Just to explain "strobe" as i see, it's more like "robotic" not a smooth pan or movement.
    Creative mode, no problems ...
  • Feha, there really isn't that much moving footage out there to look at but I do see it. It's hard to get a good idea from stuff on the uploaded on the web. This is my second camera and I have worked with footage from others that look the same. Yeah, it renders 24p useless for me. I hope someone whom feels the same way is smart enough to figure out a good fix. I know I'm not....

Paglez, Did you have the same problem and fix it with kae's 65 mbits hack? Or, you're having the problem after the hack?

• upload samples to vimeo.
    This sounds normal to me.
  • Hmm...maybe it's just a GOP thing I bet motion looks smoother with a lower GOP setting like 3.
  • @Dalefpf
    I also have same problem, as you pan or move a camera while shooting, you get a strobe effect.
    I own a PAL version, and first thought it was cause of 24 fps, but i can't find way to reduce this strobe effect!?
    I see lot of other videos done with GH2 and there is no strobe effect.
    Note: even if I pan, move slowly i get this ... only in Cinema 24p mode ...
    I'm also curious as Dalefpf ...
    This "problem" was even before hack ....
  • I'm getting the same problem than Dalefpf. I'm using kae's 65 mbits hack. Shutter in 1/50.
  • Chip, I actually can see some of these issues when playing back in the camera. Just more difficult because the screen is so small. I believe that this is the nature of this particular camera. Just looking for a way to overcome it.
  • Thanks, Angry_C but I've done that. I went through all of this stuff last January with the first camera. Judder is totally normal. I agree. This much judder? I don't know.......
  • @Dalefpf

Please reduce the sharpness in the filmmode settings to -2. This will decrease the stobe effekt. Judder is normal for 24 fps.
  • Even final renders projected digitally in a movie theater seem to exhibit this behavior. To me at least.
  • Yeah, I've only used creative mode for 24p. I see this in many peoples footage. Static shots with this camera are awesome. Moving shots are a different story. ( my opinion only) Still, my wonder is if any of these hack settings could possibly smooth out the look for panning. My guess is that it has to do with avchd itself.
  • I suppose you don't see those issues when playing back in camera? I think that's more of a monitor(-ing) issue playing back certain framerates where playback appears juddery.
  • How does it look in 50 or 60i mode?

I wouldn't suggest ever going down to 1/30 in 24p mode. Open shutters are no good for anyone's footage... unless you really want the smearing for some effects or something.
  • @Dalefpf

Are you shooting 24P in creative mode only? Don't get any 'judder' there at all, the footage is smooth as silk, well, as smooth as 24 frames can ever be.
  • Actually, I see it with all normal film settings. Lowering the shutter to 1/30 or so helps it a tad but it still exists. I've done a lot of testing and compared it with other cameras. There is something a bit strange to me. Not just the normal 24fps issues. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about settings that might have an affect on this issue. (Well, it's an issue to me. Others don't see it at all and are very happy with their cameras. Just wanted to put that out there.)
  • Can you show us an example of "juddery" footage?
  • Can you be more specific about what settings you are using?....
    for example
    -24H shutter at 1/50 Iso at 160 f stop @ 1.7 etc....