Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @mariella I'm not sure if there is anything for the G3 .... :-(

• speedgrade test

• aftereffects grade test

• @driftwood

Just trying to understand your comment that luma detail is lifted or reduced. The encoder is always fed a 4:2:0 signal. However, if I understand this correctly, in the 4:4:4 sharp version you are using the old matrix for luma which encodes more detail along diagonals. In the 4:4:4 soft version you are using the new matrix for luma which encodes equally along straight lines or diagonals.

If this is correct, then is not the 4:4:4 soft a visually correct representation irrespective of the lenses being used ?

If needed, a sharpen filter can always be applied in post if the user views the image as being too soft.

• It seems Intra Venus 444 is gonna be the final hack for GH2. GH3 is gonna release next month.

• @Kazuo

"Think not everyone attaches his ego to the bonnet of his car, or dick measures all the time. It is called integrity. if you are testing an equipment, and putting forth your opinion for public consideration, then make sure you do yourself some respect. It's because of persons like you who love "laid back attitudes", that there is now a proliferation of people who can make a living off writing fake reviews for books etc"

You talk about integrity when everyone uploads his stuff on vimeo/youtube; you see the contradiction there? Your argument "people can make a living off writing bad reviews" doesn't make sense because if people weren't so stupid to actually read/pay them they wouldn't exist in the first place. It is not the reviewers' fault, it's the reader.

It's also pretty immature to start personal attacks towards people who only want to help, contribute to and be part of this community. And if you must make them aware of your perfectionism and highly extended knowledge of cinematography per se, try to do it in a gentle way. Your intention should be to help them get better and not to make yourself feel better by making them feel worse.

• Did I mistakenly hit the DVuser button.

• @peternap I like this comment. Let's keep using this space for productive information... not bickering.

• @2many

if i come across as being too strong, I apologise, but I think the hack developers here would agree to a certain extent that they have been doing quite alot of needless troubleshooting only because some individuals do not set themselves the right parameters during tests, and then report all kinds of shortcomings (mostly out of ignorance), when the truth is the inaccuracies first began on their test sites. If you have done yr homework, and you still notice aberrations, or abnormalities, then fine, sure, you are fully entitled to share your 2 cents.

I like @Shian's grading of John Brawley's clips taken off the BMC. His posts are nearly always instructive and instructional, and I would think people who share on such forums should aspire to that kind of standard. Of course not all of us are experts, but i think certain basics need to be there, otherwise why waste another reader's time?

Btw, there are tons of rubbish on Vimeo/Youtube. Just because everybody has something to say doesn't mean everyone's worth listening to.

• Has anyone tried any of the ApNo settings with the new 12-35X lens? I have a sneaking suspicion that it just might be a very killer combo. I mean, if ApNo can make the 14-140 look this good, imagine what it could do with the constant f2.8 of the 12-35X.

• @kazuo: who defines who is worthy of chipping in his 2 cents? You? somebody else? Who defines who is able to do really perfect testing without any shortcomings? There is always a bigger fish in the lake. Everybody finds his master and somebody who knows a lot more.

If someone tries to help and gets himself into work to contribute, he should never be bashed. Its so easy to bash someone who knows less. But be assured, you dont have to walk far to find someone who knows a lot more than you (with you i am speaking in general terms so you can keep your colt in its holster) And even people like driftwood, cbrandin or vitaly were not born as the experts they are now. they had to learn to. I dont know if their first testings are still on the internet. Criticise people, but in a constructive way. dont bash the shit out of them.

also nobody forces you to read any post. You can skip after one sentence and think "what a doucebag".

And although i probably know a lot less than you about technical issues, after being in this forum for maybe 2 months, i know whose posts matter the most to me and which i better skip after one sentence. But even then, although i dont know too much i enjoy if i can give something back and help someone who knows less.

• @driftwood

I may be able to release Valkyrie of the next version tomorrow. :-)

• @Kazuo

Believe me I understand where you're coming from. Same applies to music, movies and art in general. There's too much crap being produced these days because technology makes it possible for everyone to become a musician, a photoshop painter or a cinematographer. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to enrich our world with even more beautifully crafted art because only very few offer their blood, sweat en time to what they are doing.

But there in lies our challenge: everyday we come across so much bullshit that sometimes we go mad. But those very few times you actually find a small treasure, it is so much more satisfying I think. So in stead of being negative to "noobs" we should gently make them aware of their little 'flaws' and inspire them to invest more time into their work so maybe one they also they will produce some stunning work.

@Mirrorkisser

Don't go too far. Kazuo basically apologized for his coming on strong, and he has given his opinion in an honorable way. We should respect that, the same he should respect our opinion.

As for people posting their videos everywhere: if you are uncertain of your work, do not post your shit everywhere in public, because obviously some people don't like it; you got to respect that. In stead hit up a few friends, send them your footage and kindly ask if they would want to give you their opinion. Only if you're fairly confident your footage is good, post it in threads like these.

(and now we should stop this ridiculous discussion and make place for more relevant things; bring in those test videos!)

• @kazuo I'm going to go OT just a little to say something, then I'll quit. I'm on a lot of Video and Photo sites, 80% of which are populated by arrogant know nothings and bickering is a way of life.

This in particular has everything from rank beginners to some of the most talented people I've ever come across. for the most part, everyone is treated with respect and help is given without any expectation of fame and Glory.

Nick has put together IMO the single most significant breakthrough in a long line of significant breakthroughs, in the DSLR world. It's still in development and most of us are still trying to get a handle on what it will do and how.

Mirrorkisser meant well. You meant well. Everyone has had their say. Let's get back to the settings.

@2many Sorry, you beat me to it!

• @2many

Thanks mate for speaking up. I am not in any way offended, and if I did press some wrong buttons, i will buy the person a beer. Just glad someone else knows where I am coming from :-)

@Mirrorkisser

There are objective truths, and subjective truths, and then the rest is plain opinion. When it comes to film, and video, certain things are fairly objective and you cant turn away and pretend everything is a relative truth. What is relative however, is taste, and that depends on your sensibilities. You keep asking the question, who decides? Well, there are gatekeepers in the industry, the powerful ones uphold values that are dear to them. Either you subscribe to their values, or you choose not to participate, either way, your life in the industry will be influenced and determined by what they do.

How far can you be a relativist?

• @peternap

Cheers buddy

• @2many: I agree and disagree. I think its wonderful that everybody can make music now and produce films. I dont have to be the audience to everybody though. I dont click on every video i see here. Sometimes i do and think "wtf". And sorry, what do you think would someone like Tarkovsky, Bresson or Bergman think about your 2-3 minute films? They might say, ahh with the gh2, now every idiot ( i am not adressing you 2many) can make movies that look a bit cinematic, have a bit of craftsmanship but will never be art.

But i fully agree, people should not post something they are aware of its shit, that they have not put any heart or efforts into. And yes, if someone has short comings, he should gently be made aware of them, fully agreed. And there is always uncertainty about your own work. You will also never find a situation where everybody likes ur work. If everybody likes it, you should rather get suspicious.

@peternap: just reading your post now. You are right and i agree, back to the settings. and fair play everybody.

• @silvertonesx24 Nice looking footage. Thanks for posting.

• I tested spanning of AN Nebula 444 sharp in HBR mode and it didn't span.Tested it three times. Always stopped at 4,29GB. Nokton 17.5, ISO 400-500, shutter 50, f1.4, smooth -2-2-2-2. Average bitrate was around 52.8mbps. My quick feedback.

I am aware of @Driftwood saying it might not span. So I checked it under the conditions I was in at that moment (Evening, indoor, tungsten light).

Besides that it looks very good so far!

@Driftwood @cbrandin @bkmcwd @Vitaliy_Kiselev and all the testers: Thank you!!!

EDIT: used Sandisk extreme pro 64gb 95mb/s.

• Oh, look... another flame war on the interweb... You never see that anymore.

• @bkmcwd Good news on the next variation. IntraVenus edition 1 is nearing completion too.

@zcream Ah! a save mistake and zipped wrong! You are correct there is no difference because the wrong release candidate was sent out. The new version is now up - note the differences.

Im hastily getting ready to go to France (where Ill be updating some settings from) and then onto...Chile. Its a hard life. TBF though, I bloody welI need a holiday! Save mistakes happen.

@Shon Possibly your card then. AN stuff is a tad more aggressive on the bitrate. Im not seeing what you see on personal recordings.

• I recall last year that @LPowell created a special patch for handling anamorphic with MJPEG -- see http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/151

How would one go about modifying the AN or IV settings for this, or do they only work with AVCHD codec?

• Ive done most of the standard anamorphic sizes on many of the mjpeg Intra settings in the past. These AN ones work at 2K and you can adapt the screen sizing as you like. Just don't go too far over mjpeg resolution else youll get failed recordings.

• @Tobsen why does it bother you and others that spanning continues to exist. 4 gigs is about 7 minutes of time.

• **** NEWS & APOLOGY **** During the process of beta Release candidate to the final release parts of the AN 444 sharpe settings for Nebula and DREWnet matrix info got mixed up in the save process and uploaded. Please note - the correct settings are now up as 'sharp2'. You effectively have a new setting to try out.

Apologies and thanks to @zcream for making me realise the mistake.

I now defo need a break.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions