• Wi-Fi® sharing and downloadable camera apps
    • 180° tilt-able touch-screen LCD for easy self-portraits
    • Easy intuitive interface with improved control dial
    • Unlimited creativity with 11 built-in Picture Effects
    • Up to ISO 25600 provides versatile low-light performance
    • Shutter: 30sec up to 1/4.000
    • PASM shooting and digital zoom support for video
    • 99 phase detection AF points
    • 25 contrast AF points (this is quite weird)
    • Continuous AF and AF tracking
    • MF assist
    • Peaking level/color
    • Auto Portrait Framing
    • 3 inch tiltable screen
    • Touch screen LCD with Touch Shutter (and 25 contrast points :-) )
    • 2x Clear Zoom
    • about 400 pics per battery charge
    • Optional FDA-EV1S external viewfinder
    • Stereo mic
    • Time lag 0.02 sec
    • Price : $650 for body only

Available at:

Previews and samples:

Videos:

• 38 Replies sorted by
  • With the Sony Nex-5R shoot and share DSLR-quality photos online, straight from the camera. With built-in Wi-Fi®, the NEX-5R even lets you download camera apps for endless creative possibilities, and the 16.1MP APS-C size sensor delivers breathtaking stills with pro-grade defocused backgrounds. All this and more in a camera that’s about half the size of a DSLR.

With the NEX-5R, the camera delivers superlative image quality thanks to an APS-C image sensor, and is equipped with improved Fast Hybrid AF – a hallmark of conventional DSLR cameras. With functionality guaranteed to appeal to photographers, the NEX-5R raises the bar for mirror-less cameras. Moreover, the newly designed body gives the camera a distinctly DSLR-like feel, making it a tempting alternative for people considering a DSLR camera.

Features:

• DSLR-quality in about half the size and weight
    • 16 MP APS-C sensor with fast up to 10 fps shooting speed
    • Fast Hybrid AF includes phase-detection for DSLR-like focus
    • Full HD movie shooting at 60p/24p with full exposure control
    • Wi-Fi® sharing and downloadable camera apps
    • 180° tilt-able touch-screen LCD for easy self-portraits
    • Easy intuitive interface with improved control dial
    • Unlimited creativity with 11 built-in Picture Effects
    • Up to ISO 25600 provides versatile low-light performance
    • Wide selection of interchangeable lenses to expand your creativity

16.1 MP APS-C size HD image sensor: The same sensor format that Sony builds into the full-sized DSLRs. With 13 times the area of the typical point-and-shoot image sensor, APS-C sensor size makes the difference between “snapshots” and “photographs,” delivering an exceptional combination of high resolution, high sensitivity and gorgeous, blurred backgrounds.

Fast Hybrid AF: Sony’s advanced Fast Hybrid AF combines two technologies for outstanding performance: Phase detection auto focus for quick response that is ideal when tracking fast-moving subjects and contrast-detection auto focus for added precision. A perfect match that delivers optimal Auto Focus for fast, precise focusing in any scene.

Full HD Movies at 60p/60i/24p: Capture HD Movies in your choice of super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution. AVCHD™ codec delivers stunning picture quality. MP4 codec offers smaller files for easier upload to the web.

Wi-Fi® Sharing: Wi-Fi® capability – a first for Alpha-series – lets users transfer photos directly to smartphones and tablets with the PlayMemories Mobile™ app. Wi-Fi capability allows for sharing, viewing and saving photos for expanded photo-shooting enjoyment. Photos can be easily transferred to smartphones and tablets, viewed on large screen TVs or saved to PC’s.11

PlayMemories Camera Apps: Supports PlayMemories Camera Apps, the world’s first application download service that lets users install new camera functions as needed.

180-degree tilt-able 3.0” Touch LCD: The NEX-5R is equipped with a tilt-able LCD screen that flips up 180-degrees without sacrificing the compactness for which the 5-series is renowned for. This makes taking great self-portraits incredibly easy since users can precisely compose shots, choosing to include people or objects in the frame for more satisfying results.

Control Dial: Control dial, Fn (function) button and touch screen (including touch shutter function) greatly facilitate operation and getting the shot that much easier.

Picture Effect mode: There are 7 types (11 variations) of picture effects to choose from: Posterization (Color), Posterization (B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color(R), Partial Color(G), Partial Color(B), Partial Color(Y), High-key, High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera. Each is unique and each give you a new and exciting way to make your images and videos pop.

6-image layering: The camera leverages the large, APS-C image sensor and captures six images in a fraction of a second. The camera then combines the data from the 6 different images up to ISO 25600 to create a single image. This method is used to control blur in Anti-Motion Blur mode or to get cleaner, sharper nighttime pictures in Hand-held Twilight mode.

Photo Creativity Touch interface: The Photo Creativity touch interface enables you to easily enjoy the creative expression of SLR-quality digital imaging without the complicated settings. Changes can be easily made using the control dial with results seen in real time on the LCD. Settings include; Background Defocus, Brightness, Color, Vividness and most Picture Effects.

Auto Portrait Framing: Simply photograph a person and Auto Portrait Framing will save an additional, optimally framed image in portrait or landscape orientation. Combining Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technologies with rule of thirds, Auto Portrait Framing provides beautifully composed and appealingly balanced full resolution portraits.

Clear Image Zoom: Utilizing Sony’s exclusive By Pixel Super Resolution Technology, Clear Image Zoom increases the effective focal length of your lens up to 2x by digitally magnifying the center of your image with nearly imperceptible degradation. It virtually doubles the effective focal length of whatever lens you’re using providing greater shooting flexibility.

Convenient USB charging: Easily recharge the camera via USB charging. Simply connect the bundled USB cable and recharge the battery without removing it from the camera, either via AC outlet or PC connection.

Multi-interface terminal: Multi-interface Smart Accessory 2 shoe greatly expands the connectivity options such as external flash units.

Auto HDR built into camera: High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography captures more scene contrast than a single exposure can handle by combining the best highlight detail from one shot and the best shadow detail from another for one incredible shot. Handles severe backlighting and other high-contrast scenes. Captures in a split second. (Recommended for still subjects.)

Sweep Panorama™ Technology: Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together. Up to 23 MP image size. Up to 202 degrees maximum sweep angle (18mm focal length).

Fast Auto Focus: Some cameras in this class are slow to focus. That can make you miss the shot on fast-moving subjects like sports and unpredictable subjects like pets and babies. Sony’s fast Contrast Auto Focus system typically takes as little as 0.3 seconds and also offers continuous Auto Focus when shooting movies.

Fast Hybrid AF

The intuitive new “Fast Hybrid AF” autofocus technology utilizes 99 phase-detection AF points arrayed on the image sensor to detect a subject’s distance and quickly lock focus on it, and then utilizes contrast-detection AF to confirm extremely fine, precise details. In Speed Priority Continuous shooting mode, the camera will switch automatically to phase detection tracking AF and can track fast-moving action accurately in each frame up to 10 frames per second.

Wi-Fi Sharing and New Camera Apps

The added connectivity of the NEX-5R camera allows photos and videos to be transferred wirelessly to a smartphone or tablet running Sony’s free PlayMemories Mobile app, available on both Android™ and Apple iOS platforms. Additionally, content can be directly uploaded from the camera to Facebook® using a Wi-Fi connection and the new “Direct Upload” application, part of Sony’s new PlayMemories Camera Apps platform.

This new concept of PlayMemories Camera Apps is the world’s first application download service in an interchangeable lens camera that allows consumers to install new functions on demand, tailoring their cameras to fit their personal shooting needs. The service can be accessed over Wi-Fi or when the camera is connected directly to a PC via USB.

Available apps at launch, outside of “Direct Upload” as mentioned earlier, will include “Picture Effect+”; “Bracket Pro”; “Multi Frame NR”; “Photo Retouch”; and “Smart Remote Control. A variety of other apps including “Time-Lapse” and “Cinematic Photo” are also planned for release.

Shooters can also utilize the family of PlayMemories applications to transfer content directly to a networked PC, streamlining the image back-up process and avoiding the need to connect cables or transfer memory cards between devices. Additionally, they can transfer photos to any DLNA® compatible TV either through a wireless access point or any TV supporting Wi-Fi.

Added Flexibility and Functionality

Aesthetically, the new NEX-5R features a new fully programmable control dial and function button, a versatile combination for photographers accustomed to the flexibility and direct control of a DSLR camera. It also has a switchable on-screen digital level gauge that helps keep horizons level with landscapes and architectural shots.

Additionally, the new α NEX-5R model features an intuitive touch-screen LCD with a Touch Shutter function for added convenience. The clear, bright touchscreen can also flip upwards 180 degrees for easy arm’s length self-portraits.

Full HD (1920x1080@60p) movie shooting is enhanced with a new Auto Slow Shutter feature, adding extra detail to low-light clips. The camera detects dim interiors and night scenes, automatically switching to a slower shutter speed to brighten footage.

New Sony α Accessories

On the α accessories front, the stylish new LCS-SL20/B soft carrying case will be compatible with the new Sony NEX-5R model as well as other E-mount camera bodies. It features four internal dividers for easy storage of camera bodies and lenses, as well as a dedicated space for a tablet. The new LCS-SL10/B soft carrying case offers two internal dividers and multiple storage pockets in a compact size.

Also designed for Sony’s E-mount line is the new LCS-EME/BL, a modern, innovative sling bag. With space to accommodate an NEX and two additional lenses, the LCS-EME/BI is a perfect accessory for active photographers. Additionally, a new Screen Protect Semi-Hard sheet (model PCK-LM13) will be available that will help protect both the camera and lens of the new NEX-5R camera.

• Well, it looks like a very serious photographic tool for multi exposures. I welcome that.

• It is now clear that apps could be installed only via authorised Sony store and made by Sony only.

First previews coming:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/sony-announces-nex-5r/

• "It is now clear that apps could be installed only via authorised Sony store and made by Sony only."

Are you telling me that what a "certain someone" said about sony sending out devkits to developers (allowing superbitrates and all other magical stuff) is all a load of inaccurate mumbojumbo? Im very suprised! :-D

Joking aside looks like a nice cam...the wifi internet aplication uses is a little restrained but I expected that anyway (See PS3s)

• You know... Sony Style!!!

• More official things abour apps:

PlayMemories from Sony keeps growing with a series of exciting new possibilities to enhance your digital imaging experience, before and after shooting.

PlayMemories is an easy-to-use family of services and applications that lets you enjoy photo and video memories across multiple devices – from cameras, smartphones and tablets to PlayStation®3 and compatible BRAVIA TVs.

PlayMemories Camera Apps

PlayMemories Camera Apps is the world’s first application download service(for interchangeable-lens digital cameras as of August 2012)that lets you install new functions on demand to boost the capabilities of your camera.

PlayMemories Camera Apps offers a variety of applications that expand camera functionality, personalising your photographic experience and enhancing your network connectivity. Just download the applications onto your camera and start enjoying even richer photographic expression.

PlayMemories Camera Apps is initially supported by the new NEX-5R interchangeable lens compact system camera. From launch, there’s a range of imaging apps to broaden your creative options and utilities.

“Picture Effect+” expands the range of artistic treatments available in the camera’s standard Picture Effect mode. “Bracket Pro” automatically shoots a rapid burst of three images at different ‘bracketed’ settings – for shutter speed, aperture or focus – allowing you to choose the best shot. “Multi Frame NR” captures a series of images in rapid succession. They are automatically superimposed by the camera to create one low-noise photo at the selected ISO speed. It’s ideal for capturing atmospheric night-time scenes, or shooting in dark conditions without using flash.

“Photo Retouch” adds a generous palette of adjustments like brightness, saturation and contrast plus Soft Skin, re-size and other post-shooting effects. Also available is the Auto Portrait Framing feature which detects the faces in images captured and intelligently applies the recommended composition afterwards.

Sony also plans to introduce more new apps, including “Time-lapse” and “Cinematic Photo”. “Time-lapse” automatically captures a series of still pictures at adjustable intervals. These images are automatically combined by the camera, and can be replayed like a video clip. “Cinematic Photo” captures a series of frames, creating fun animated picture effects where part of a static image appears to move.

Downloadable utilities include “Smart Remote Control”: remotely check the image on screen, adjust exposure and release the shutter of the NEX-5R with your smartphone1 or tablet (such as the Xperia™ Smartphone and Xperia™ Tablet). Captured pictures are also sent automatically to your smartphone or tablet. “Direct Upload” lets you upload images directly from the camera to PlayMemories Online and Facebook.

New PlayMemories Camera Apps will be initially available in the UK from October 2012.

PlayMemories Online

From this August, Sony’s compatible BRAVIA TVs will become able to view photos and video posted on PlayMemories Online directly, broadening the width of devices capable of enjoying the service.

PlayMemories Mobile

This Android/iOS app simplifies video and photo transfers to smartphones or tablet devices from the Wi-Fi enabled cameras such as the NEX-5R compact system camera. As detailed above, the app now lets you remotely control the NEX-5R and the HDR-AS15 Action Cam using your smartphone: it’s great for family group shots where you want to be in the picture, too. (“Smart Remote Control” app needs to be installed to the NEX-5R to use this feature.)

Other enhancements include easy content uploads to YouTube and PlayMemories Online.

For further information on PlayMemories Camera apps, please visit: www.sony.net/pmca

• Most people could miss it, but it is quite clear that app support was added by Sony in a hurry in the last months.

All of available apps are really existing camera functions, already developed, just interface moved to separate applications.

• Oh well.. what else would they add with any application anyway?.. I think I can live without downloadable "Calculator" or "Upload to Picassa" type of app :) Unless they would add a HackMyBitrate application, which I doubt honestly. Unless its open source or at least SDK provided, there's not much about it, I'm afraid.

• Damn, I never though I would say such a thing, but... the camera looks too small!!! :O Or is it the lens that's too big?

These guys are dead serious now: peaking, improved EVF, CDAF+PDAF, massive DR, double dials, WiTFi, ... the shit! If they build their way into a good lens system, m43 will be in serious competition! Hell, if it wasn't for the money I spent on lenses this year, I'd be giving it a good thought!

• @duartix If you have loaded non-m43 MF lenses, the migration would be easy.

• @duartix I jumped ship on m43rds for the very reason (peaking paricularly)

• All of available apps are really existing camera functions, already developed, just interface moved to separate applications.

So you are fu***d two times: when you buy the camera and when you believe to get something extra via the apps but you already paid before :)

• The things that are keeping me from changing now is: recording time limit, overheating, moire and aliasing. I love the focus peaking, APS-C sensor and higher res screen on the Sonys though, but I can't afford one of these going blank during a wedding.

• From openess point of view the idea behind the new small samsung android camera is the real deal....

• @stonebat:

I have about a dozen of legacy lenses that I could easily mount on NEX. I've always had issues with MF on those lenses and Sony seems to be just the right tool with peaking and the high resolution EVF. The electronic first curtain is the proverbial shot in the aircraft carrier too, because I can't shake the shutter blur at anything slower than 1/200s on my 300mms on the GH2, no matter how solid the tripod is. Those are the times when I wish I had an OM-D, because IBIS is very effective in these situations. And then I'm a frequent stacker for which the NEX seems a natural born killer with the apps. When I look at the body, it's all screaming NEX back at me..., but when I start to look at the glass, that's when m43 starts to shine, because I'm sure I'd miss the m43 extreme telephoto range and I also don't see how I could replace/sell the 7.5mm Samyang (not that I want to, anyway).

Fortunately the GH3 seems to be on the right track to address some of those issues and to be quite honest, I've been bitten by the video bug and that's where all manufacturers except for Panasonic just fall to their knees... Maybe I can buy it, one year from now! :) And a cheaper OM-DL (light) to act as second body for photographic purposes.

• @duartix Whatever and however works out for you :) Once used to Gh2's details and color, it's hard to ditch it for sure. But Sony NEX is getting interesting for sure. Maybe one day. I like those topics dedicated to each products. No, intermingling Gh2 with new NEX topic isn't interesting anymore. Nobody cares what I buy or why I wanna buy. Neither you.

Let's focus on NEX 5R's new features.

• Yep! Give us some video examples and see if Sony's improved something :) The RX100 is virtually free from artifacts, except macroblocking and some CA that a decent bitrate or good lens wouldn't cure, so why shouldn't they succeed with the NEX too? Exciting!

• Btw, check my blog post about Sony vs Samsung book. If you read it, you'll get why IFA presentations had been different and why.

• @Oscillian Expect the 5R to have moire and alaising and you will avoid dissapointment. :-)

• Wohaaa! The rumor site is saying the GH3 will PEAK!!! :) It was about time!!!

• @duartix

It is NEX topic :-)

• Oh, you're right. Sorry about that.

• Have you guys seen the promotional video, its a G/aY Cam... That promotional is just no good for marketing purposes, well at least for thinking people.