Personal View site logo
Microsoft and their app store
  • Right now, the issues surrounding the WinRT space center around the fact that many OS-supplied APIs which are required by anyone implementing their own language RTL are actually off-limits unless you’re the VC++ RTL DLL. You know, little things like RtlUnwind for exception processing and VirtualAlloc (et. al.) for memory management… Any calls to those APIs from your application will automatically disqualify your application from being an “official” WinRT application capable of delivering through the MS app store.

There are lots of changes with WinRT that make targeting it a little more tricky. For instance, you cannot merely open any file, access the registry, and even use the loopback (127.0.0.1) adaptor. LoadLibrary cannot be used to load any arbitrary DLL; you must call LoadPackageLibrary and only on a DLL that is present in the digitally signed appx package.

To be short. If you want to make official Windows 8 compatible applications that can be delivered via MS Store you MUST use Microsoft only tools. Period. Where are all this fighters with monopolies?

It must NOT be allowed for any OS author to release ANY development tools for this OS.
    And it It must NOT be allowed for any OS author to own any applications store.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Yes. And this would be an outrage if anyone other than Microsoft employees actually used Windows phones.

• They have painted themselves in to the corner. While mobile OS is becoming mature day by day, MS is kicking the same old dead horse with different boot to go somewhere. Their days are counted and they are taking good companies like HP and DELL down with them.

• @010101 I agree on what you said but it's their own fault if HP and Dell let themselves be pulled down by MS, just push Linux-distries A LOT more and try to get rid of MSs disappointing and outdated software over time.

• @DouglasHorn

You got me wrong. Here I mean desktop Windows 8. It'll also have a shop for any Metro apps.

• @Pechente

Do not turn this thing into Linux vs Windows thing, ok?

• More good news:

The big problem is that Windows 8 is configured to immediately tell Microsoft about every app you download and install. This is a very serious privacy problem, specifically because Microsoft is the central point of authority and data collection/retention here and therefore becomes vulnerable to being served judicial subpoenas or National Security Letters intended to monitor targeted users.

Via: http://log.nadim.cc/?p=78

• Gawd! Who would have known that Windows 8 would have to be 'jail broken'.

• I am pretty sure that in 1-3 years all consumer OSs will become closed ala iOS. With special agreements and tools required for development.

• I think this one will be hacked, too. new , open appstores etc.

• I think this one will be hacked, too. new , open appstores etc.

This is just pretty strange commentary. What will be hacked? Windows?