Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • This coming Saturday is a perfect example of why I use Sanity.

I have an event and exclusive video rights with a nationally known activist.

The venue is small and a lot of people will be there and I will be working alone. I'll lock down two GH2's and a Canon XA10, turn them on and forget them while I use the AC160 on a shoulder rig....and the Sanity videos will turn out perfectly as usual.

• @daihard

Thanks for the update on the cards.

@tommy

It sounds like you have more than one of these cards. Are all of them giving you problems? It might be worthwhile to thoroughly test each one. There might just be one bad apple in the bunch.

• @daihard Looks like they reduced the Extreme Pro also.

• @tommy Well, confusingly SanDisk recently changed up their card names and specs. So, the SanDisk 45/mb cards where previously known as "Extreme Pro" - which are the "bad batch". Now, the newer version is just called the "Extreme" are said to be preforming as reliable or more so then the 30/mb version you have.

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq

"The SanDisk Extreme HD video 30 MB/s cards are apparently being discontinued and replaced with “Extreme HD Video” or just “Extreme” 45 MB/s cards. Early indications are that the new 45 MB/s cards perform similarly to the old 30 MB/s cards in the GH2. 45 MB/s Extreme cards are not to be confused with the old 45 MB/s “Extreme Pro” cards, which are not recommended."

Also Amazon has now reduced the 45/mb cards in price, so they are VERY affordable compared to almost 60% more! just a few months ago. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q3C98S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And to answer your question. Yes the SanDisk card you have should be C10 (Although on Amazon there are Ultra II cards that are C6 spec). http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Class-Memory-SDSDH-016G-U46/dp/B0014VY28A/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346935027&sr=1-34&keywords=SanDisk

Its so confusing with all these different versions under the same name, so double check the exact model of card you have. But the most sure way to "root" the problem is just to try another high speed card.

• What everyone else just said. I never have a bit of trouble out of sanity (which makes me wonder why I ever load any others). Now that I said that though....I only record in 720p-60 and 1080p 24, so I have no experience in your modes.

• @tommy wrote:

I know your suggested 64GB SDXC $136.95 card will not give problems (I suppose), but I prefer to spend less.

I hear you, and we are all on the same bandwagon here. Problem is, whether you have a commercial shoot or your own creative shoot (short/feature etc.), if the camera crashes in the middle of filming, it will cost you more in aggravation and lost footage than the cost of the reliable card. I actually paid $165 for each and am happy, as no incidents occurred so far whatsoever, and @Ralph_B 's Sanity is fantastically reliable and economical with good quality!

• @Ralph_B @daihard Thanks guys for the fast reply. Maybe it is the card and I guess I have to give it another try

I did not use a 45mb, as @mo7ies wrote. I heard that the 45MB cards are not reliable, therefore I especially bought some 30 MB/s cards. Sandisk changed the names (I am in Europe) of the cards: what used to be pro or HD video is now called Ultra. Are these not good (enough)? Because in many topics they say: " works on all Class 10 SDHC cards" Which this is. I know your suggested 64GB SDXC $136.95 card will not give problems (I suppose), but I prefer to spend less.

• @tommy, what Ralph said. 45MBs cards actually are known to be the least reliable. Instead, go for the card I linked above - you will be very happy you did. It is simply the fastest, most reliable card to use in Panny GH2. Sanity will never give you any issues with it.

• @tommy

Sanity 5 is incredibly stable. Reports like yours are rare. Card issues are usually the culprit. With certain cards, I've even gotten occassional errors with the stock firmware! Now, I know your Sandisk card should work fine, but who knows what's going on inside that particular card. If this happens consistantly, I would strongly suggest trying a different card. It would be a shame to abandon Sanity, because it will certainly meet all your criteria.

• @tommy I'm no expert. I do know SanDisks are extremely reliable. However, have you tried another card? I have a few transcends Class 10 32G, and some of the cards i've used dont always preform the same, speed wise. Especially when im in 720 60p mode, the camera will often not start recording, or take a few seconds to respond/start/stop. What im getting at, is to make sure that your SanDisk is preforming up to spec speeds.

Now with that said, I also have the SanDisk Extreme 45 - 32G card and my camera is EXTREMELY responsive no matter which shooting mode im in. As I assume the 30mb version is as well.

• @Ralph_B Hi, just wanted to let you know that Sanity 5 also crashed my GH2 a few times with a 32 GB class 10 SDHC 30mb Sandisk card. I was just doing short test shooting in (I think) AVCHD 1080i and motion jpeg mode (50 shutter, 14-140 lens) during rather dark situations while moving the camera. It stopped after a few seconds already. It said the card was not fast enough. I was surprised as I read that Sanity was very stable. Before I used @driftwood cluster 6 DREWnet and it was working with some tests I did (don't know for long shootings). I am still looking for a good patch for handheld documentary shooting with, 100% reliable with normal Sandisk 30 mb Class 10 SDHC cards, FLUENT motion (No jitter, jutter, strobe), Not too big files (as I shoot a lot, and only little is used), Good in dark situations, 'Good' quality (44 mb is already more than enough). I will continue my quest ...but help is always welcome

• Hi Ralph, I'm using this Transcend reader: http://goo.gl/W5ltB

It proved quirky with other cards, but is in fact wonderful with my 64GB SanDisks. (Just make sure you are working with ONE card at a time!)

Transfer rates: very fast :) I really don't remember the figures now, but they did measure significantly faster than with my USB2 reader.

• @mo7ies

Are you using the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I cards with a USB 3 card reader? If so, I would be curious to know what sort of transfer rates you're getting between the card reader and the computer.

• Guys, just get it from here http://goo.gl/2XNwY - I own two of those and zero issues. Just shot the whole short film last week on Sanity 5 and this SanDisk card. Plays back in-cam, all is great. Sanity it is!!!

• Your referring to the SanDisk Extreme cards? I have the 32G version, and love it. Havent had any issues with the card, and is stable with just about every patch. There was some problems with the older version of this card though. When the Extreme card was known as the "Extreme Pro" card, there where reports of problems. http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq for more info.

• Im filming a short and using Sanity 5. I have two SanDisk class 10 of 16GB @30MB/s, erroneously I ordered a SanDisk class 10 of 16GB @45MB/s just received now, this card is poor realiable or not?

• @larrystick

Whew, that's quite a workout. Here's my favorite shot.

Favorite shot.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 620K
  • Took my Sanity 5 on a road test last week. My wife runs Ironman triathlons, so I thought I'd spend the day shooting while I waited the 6 hours or so for her to finish.

I'm using Sanity 5 here, and 24L. 1/50th shutter. For quick framing versatility I used the Lumix 14-140, but sadly did not have an ND filter to fit. At least some of the early shots got to take advantage of a shorter depth of field. The afternoon images had too much light to knock the aperture down, so I think it looks more like a video camera, less like a cinematic cam.

• Ralph_B, unfortunately I can not interpret footage in AF. I have AF CS6. There is no option for it for MTS file. Maybe it is possible in AF CS 5.5 I do not know. Maybe you know another way?

• @Shawnthefilmguy

In After Effects, you can right click on a clip in the Project window and choose Interpret Footage. Here you can tell AE to interpret the footage as progressive, not fields (interlace).

• @Galior yea i dont know what they was doing there. u just have to setup your comp to what ever you want it to be. then just drag the clip in there it will ask u to change the comp to fit the clip hit no and your done. I will say this tho if you do this the warp stablizer wont work it will say your comp and your video should match.

if anyone knows how to get around this i could try to change the video clip manually and see what i get. I think i may have tried it befor in this issue and it didnt work. but dont remember. i do alot of tests.

• Dude, this is not a Sanity issue - it's the way the GH2 records 25P/30P - it slips the progressive picture into an interlace stream to make playback compatible with TV's. But, fear not, it is a true progressive picture.

• I'm using Sanity 5 and HBR mode only. When I open my files ( HBR video ) in Premiere Pro CS6 or Final Cut X, I see my HBR file is 1080i / 25fps. Why? It should be 1080/25p or not?

• @FilmingArt

One way to find out is the ISO's above 3200 in the camera menu won't be grayed out when you're in movie mode.

• @Ralph_B

Quick question how is it that I know 100% that I have Sanity 5 hack applied to my camera? Something I can check in the settings? Thanks