Personal View site logo
AVCHD: Stable settings
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • I did another test on the drive into work today. The file was slightly smaller than the last, but I believe there was more data (The trip to work took less time so more data in less time). The total avg bitrate as 32Mb/sec, whereas it was slightly lesser yesterday.

The camera did not freeze during this test.

My bitrate setting was 35, instead of the suggested 32, and GOP was 6.
    bit_rate_35Mbit_24H.png
    1278 x 656 - 58K
  • @bartolomeo
    >The first 5 seconds play in VLC player with an amazing quality but then after that, the image gets stuck. Also the timecode does not show up in VLC. >
    play Media Player Classic (and cccp-codec see *.zip)
    Combined-Community-Codec-Pack-BETA-2009-02-08.zip
    5M
  • @swen24,
    you'r right i don't own lens 14-140,
    tested with 14-42 kit lens and 20 1.7 pancake ...
    also works better with GOP12 (just tested 3 and 6, no crashes on my side).
    Attached below my settings ....
    setd.zip
    377B
  • @Ptchaw

But we have NOT determined if the ones he's talking about are stable yet. I know because I came up with them and they need further testing.
  • @kay @bartolomeo "Stable is anything that do not result in card speed errors or freezzing."
    Tester only settings can be stable.
  • @swen24

32 is also not stable using manual lenses in 720p or 1080i. It crashes not only focused on high detailed objects, today I had a card speed error filming the blue sky with some clouds. But I don´t get these errors where I have to remove the battery. The text with the cardwriting error appears, the record stops and 2 seconds later I am able to shot again. After one error I can shot everything without errors. The canceled record is watchable on the computer.

I think, every bitrate up to 28 mbit is stable.
  • @feha
    32 is not stable using the 14-140 kit lens in 720p and 1080i, especially if you are zooming. I dont think its a problem for the cam to choose the right time/shutter/iso, but its the lens-correction.
    Why lower Gops? Only on testing 720p with b-frames it seems to be better to reduce GOP to 12 to avoid cardspeed error. But this is far away from stable now.
    At 1080p24 you can set bitrate higher, no problem.
  • @bartolomeo

Your using tester only settings and they are not marked as "stable", so wrong topic here. High bitrate settings like that in 24P will not usually playback on the fly in Premiere or Edius, they need to be transcoded to a higher quality intraframe codec to edit correctly. And VLC player has issues with these clips.
  • @swen24

Thanks, works great,
    i increased Video Bitrate FSH/SH=28000000 to 32,
    also tested gop6 and gop3 no problems works great on 1080i/50
  • i am using the 60Mbit GOP3 Settings, see attached setting file, and screen shots

The first 5 seconds play in VLC player with an amazing quality but then after that, the image gets stuck. Also the timecode does not show up in VLC.

In FCPX the clip plays without getting stuck, however the colour and the image quality does not seem as good as in VLC player.

In Premiere CS5 it plays well but again you get another look of the clip, which is the same quality as in FCPX.

I am using MacBook pro i5.

Any ideas?

seta.zip
    503B
    seta.zip
    503B
  • Avg bitrate was ~22Mb...
  • huh - I just recorded ~86 minutes on 24H spanning four 4GB and one 2.1 GB MTS files and everything was fine. My 24 is set to 36mbit with end user patch only. Battery was nearly dead at the end, but it may have been a while since I charged it. However, scene was nearly static except myself and my computer screen which were rather large in the frame, but out of focus because i forgot and left auto focus on. So not as much motion - avg bit rate of the video was only ~22mbit/sec according to quicktime.
  • I set my encoder at 35Megabit (24P). I recorded my drive home from work through the front window, as I figured alot of the details would be rapidly changing.

At some point the camera froze. The image was frozen on the last scene recorded. Power off, nothing. Remove battery and replace, it reboots. Comes right back up.

When I look at the file I see that it is just over the 4GB mark (4.19GB).

The file plays fine and the footage is great. Not sure why it froze up, but if I were using this at an event, I suppose I'd just have to figure a time before the 4GB limit and stop and start very quickly.

Other than this, the settings have been solid for me so far. I see a little pixelation at beginning of play on the camera, but otherwise looks great. I'll need to film some high motion objects to see how the artifacts are in 720/60P.
  • @swen24

thanks swen, these are the very first 100% stable settings for me. They´re allmost lower than the other posted settings , but it doesn´t matter. I need stable shots, often I don´t have a second try.
  • Stable settings for GH2 with 14-140 Kit Lens.
    No problems at zooming and high details.
    setd.zip
    414B
  • @Butt
    Attachments and short descriptions are enough.
  • @Butt

Thank you,
    no2 works for me great ...
  • here are two stable lowGOP settings:
    No. 1 setd = 60MBit GOP3 incam-play transfer works, including 100MBit MJPEG Lpowell "no" incam-play transfer works

No. 2 seta = 42MBit GOP6 incam-play transfer works

setd.zip
    487B
    seta.zip
    401B
  • What's the issue with Tele-Ex? Does it crash on settings that are otherwise stable?
  • @Angry_C

Sorry, I can't explain why but with these settings never crashed even with extensive detailed, motion footage.
    If I go over 36 i get card write error (not always) and over 32 first frame is distorted ...
    I'm very satisfied with the quality and for me 32Mbps is acceptable.
  • @feha,

yes, you´re right, that we have to talk about the cards, but in my case 24p runs with 50-60 mbit and mjpg up to 100 mbits without problems, also with tele-ex and in 50i mode I can only use 28-30 mbit. This is strange, or?
  • @Angry_C

Also works with tele ex mode ...
    I think it is also important to tell on what cards ...
    As I had problems go over 32 Mbps with these cards some other cards might work better ...
    In this case is stable with both class 10 and class 6, over 32Mbps had problems even with class 10 (SanDisk extreme)
  • @Butt,

sry, I meant by stable, no card writing errors. The blips are normal.
  • I have been looking around for higher stable settings, for the most part i have just used the hints Vitaliy included in the Ptools since it came out (The 42H/32L) settings for all four avchd settings + Gop3. Why are poeple testing lower than 48mbs? If you need lower than that for stability than its an issue with your card, not the hack settings.