Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD: Stable settings
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • Tested these settings today but they are not stable @ 24p!
    Used class Sandisc SDHC extreme 10 card but had a couple of reading errors and one freeze (waving leaves)
    720 GOP 30 is really great for my slider and steadycam! Thanks a lot!
    One thing what i wanted to share is how the hack influences the depth of the video.
    For me it is not only about details, sharpness and colours. The colours of my Pentax K-5 look better anyway but resolution sucks! I have it for stills and steadicamshots with the Sigma 8-16mm because of it's weight.
    With 62/65 mbs 1080 there is a subtle change in the depht and cleanliness of the footage compared to stock.
  • @ishvar
    ??? tell us what they want ???
    the GOP6 1080/24p is stable!!!
  • shot a full 16GB Class 6 Transcend using only the suggested bitrate high and low numbers (42 and 35 . . . add the zeros??) Only 2 minor hiccups, and I was shooting outside handheld on a hot day, along with inside with the ISO maxed out. Edited short-film to come ;)
  • Last settings from Butt is working for me only for 1080i
    When I trying to record 720p@50 I get Wright Error.
    Kingston 32 SDHC C10
    May be card is not genuie, but I dont sure about that. Anyway, my workflow is alwas 720p@50 (by a reason that in 720 rolling shutter is less noticible) and this setting failed for me.
    When I get a new Trascend 32 SDHC C10 card I will try again. Or may be someone will submit better settings that will work for my setup.
  • Elecard Streameye Studio - Initial Buffers at startup comparison over 4 different bitrates;-
    24mbps (stock GH2), 32mbps Hacked, 42 hacked, 65 hacked. Make what you will of the buffers being initialised. 24mbps and 42mpbs are exact match! See attached
    comparisn of gh2 buffer headers at different bitrates.txt
  • There is an issue with the firmware that comes up when a value of over 32765 is used for bitrate (you get huge bitrates because of an integer overflow). It looks like the codec sees this impossible value and replaces it with defaults in the stream, but internally it just goes nuts. Vitaliy is planning to release a fix for this soon.

• I appreciate all the hard work and testing that everyone is doing; but it seems that the title of this topic is misleading. There seems to be more discussion about what doesn't work than what does.

Maybe this one could be changed to "Almost stable" and then one could be started for ones that have been confirmed to be stable under all conditions.

• I agree with parkgt. I think we should have a clean topic that would list all stable settings for NTSC and PAL worlds separately or both if stable under all conditions. This is just to make it easier for every one to use the stable setting.
  • who cares about the garbage in the beginning of the file?
    Just cut it later.
  • Tried Kae's settings today @ 50mbs @ GOP 6 and had 2 card errors in 25 shots orso. I have just loaded 24p @ 42mbs, butt's 720P and Ipowells mjpeg settings. All in all great improvements compared to stock and pretty stable. Use freshly formatted card as much as possible @ the beginning of each new shooting.
    Camera frooze just once but carderrors were plenty the last few days testing 65mbs 50 etc.
    The next update will be in Ptools 1.62! Yammy!
  • @cbrandin thanks for this valueble info!
  • @ishvar
    > I have just loaded 24p @ 42mbs, butt's 720P and Ipowells mjpeg settings. All in all great improvements compared to stock and pretty stable. Use freshly formatted card as much as possible @ the beginning of each new shooting.

thank for feet back
  • @swen24
    @tomaso

I am trying out your settings. I find something very strange with how GH2 calculates the capacity (time remaining) of SD cards in MPEG (HD) mode. It does not matter whether I put in an 8gb, 16gb, or 32gb card. GH2 gives me only 8 minutes and 20 seconds of recording. I have not tried to actually record pass 8m20s to see if the recording stops or not. But it is strange. I believe these settings have something to do with the incorrect calculation of the remaining time for MPEG mode:

1080p24 Low Top Setting=31178
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=21824
    720p Top Setting=31878
    720p Bottom Setting=22314
    1080i60 Top Setting=31598
    1080i60 Bottom Setting=22118

The remaining time calculations for AVCHD are correct for all the modes. Does anybody have a problem like what I have described above or it's just me?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev

I do not know whether my finding has any value to you that the above setting affects the time remaining calculation in MPEG (HD) mode. Thank you very much for such a wonderful work.
    sete.zip
    336B
  • @Dusty42

MJPEG time limit is based solely on file size. If I remember correctly it is a 2 gigabyte limit. The higher the bit rate for MJPEG the lower that time limit will show because it will reach the 2 gigabyte limit faster.

For AVC-HD it just depends on the capacity of the card and the bit rate. I doubt those Top and Bottom settings have any affect on MJPEG.

Let's let VK concentrate on what he is working on. If he gets this done then everyone will see great benefit.
  • @mpgxsvcd

Thanks for a quick response.

>MJPEG time limit is based solely on file size. If I remember correctly it is a 2 gigabyte limit.

Are you saying that time remaining for MJPEG mode only indicates time for a single MJPEG clip?

>The higher the bit rate for MJPEG the lower that time limit will show because it will reach the 2 gigabyte limit faster.

Should I not get a different time limit for 8gb, 16gb, and 32gb? But what I see for the time limit for all the cards is 8m20s. Did I mis-understand you on this?
  • @Dusty42

That is correct MJPEG only shows the time limit for a single clip. AVC-HD shows the time limit for 1 or more clips. MJPEG has a limit for a single clip as well as a card capacity limit. The display only shows the single clip limit for MJPEG. AVC-HD does not have a single clip limit other than the card capacity limit and that is what is displayed on the screen.
  • @mpgxsvcd

Thanks for the clarification. Just went back to the manual and found the confirmation.

"Motion picture recorded continuously in [MOTION JPEG] is up to 2 GB. Only the maximum
    recordable time for 2 GB is displayed on the screen."
  • I have now tested Ptool3 3.62 with:
    30 min removed
    all High setting = 32 000
    all Low settings = 26 000
    Nothing else

All modes looks great on screen and in StreamParser.
    I will use these settings (for 24H) for my shootings during the weekend.
    seta.zip
    341B
  • @Dusty42 that config doesn't work on my g2..Doesn't allow me to shoot anything..
  • @jvalal

The setting that I posted was based on ptool 3.61d. The settings are basically from Swen24 with Tomaso's removal of 1080p24 High Top Setting and 1080p24 High Botton Setting. The settings are rock solid even on my Kingston 32gb class 6.

You might be using ptool 3.62d.
  • 44Mbit 6GOP 24P, 44Mbit 60P, Stable Settings for Slower Class 6 Cards
    I use these with my EU version GH2 with Transcend 16 Gig Class 6 card, works great!
    Screen Shot 2011-08-17 at 9.21.18 AM.png
    325 x 167 - 16K
    Screen Shot 2011-08-17 at 9.19.12 AM.png
    320 x 167 - 16K
    seta.ini.zip
    419B
  • Hello,

@TommiH

With firmware 3.61d or 3.62?
  • @Braamokiev I used PTool 3.62

A frame grab of an underexposed (then set levels in PS) 24P video: http://hares.fi/videoframe.png with the settings, shot with the 14-42 kit lens. Quite happy with the results :)
  • @TommiH
    Ok thanks where is the links for 3.62?

Regards
  • You just download the link, it is the latest build. When you launch it you will say 3.62.