Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • @LPowell

Is this hack mostly for outdoors or for indoor/night time scenes. I usually record a lot of low light stuff. Thanks Also is there a way to have the hack + original firmware on the card I am using so just incase I can flip back and forth?

Finally this hack is applied to the camera and is not something that resides on the memory cards?

Thank you for everything

• Point the cam at a shrub or irregular small foliage and set the aperture above F5 and you should see a nice juicy bitrate.

• @saltherring Yes, VBR stands for Variable Bit Rate, indicating that the encoder uses only as much bitrate as is required to encode a scene at the intended level of quality. That's how the AVCHD encoder in the GH2 is designed to work. Flow Motion v2 uses its 100Mbps peak bitrate both to improve image quality and to increase the density of keyframes in the video stream.

• Check the iso setting in manual film mode, if its higher then 6400, you have updated the gh2.

• @FilmingArt The MediaInfo report you posted shows an average video bitrate of 47.3Mbps. As @peternap, pointed out, that is about twice the maximum bitrate of the unhacked firmware, and is a typical average bitrate for moderately detailed subjects shot with Flow Motion v2.

• thanks for the explanation, that makes much more sense now. is this how all VBR hacks function?

• @saltherring With Flow Motion v2, average bitrate is an indication of how detailed and sharply focused your subject matter is. The primary factor in motion picture quality is not bitrate, it's the fine degree of compression used by the encoder. In the footage you uploaded, the seated woman in the foreground is in sharp focus, and recorded with excellent image quality. The figures in the background are defocused from shallow DOF, and the open window is overexposed. This type of background has very soft details which require a relatively low bitrate to encode in high quality.

• @FilmingArt did you read the posts above? they clearly stated how you can check for yourself (and it sounds like you have loaded it correctly). there will be nothing displayed on your camera that will say 'flowmotion 2.02', ever.

• Can the creator of this patch chime in, please do..... I just really wanted to know 100% how is it that I can tell that the patch is applied. There must be some menu setting or something to let me know?

• i've been using FlowMotion 2.02 lately, shooting 24H, 160 ISO in natural light and have been averaging around 35 Mbs on my footage. is this normal? it seems quite low, no?

Screen shot 2012-08-08 at 12.22.32 AM.png
    523 x 808 - 100K
  • @mangomonster try ClipWrap to wrap the .MTS first, then convert it with 5DtoRGB or whatever other program you want to use. not sure that will do it, but it's worth a try.

• I'm using FM 2.02 and shot using 24H on a 16gb Transcend class 10 card. I recorded for about 20 minutes and I'm pretty sure I have spanning problem. Nothing from the 20 minutes shows up in FCP 7 or FCP X but when I browse in Finder, I see: 00000.MTS = 2.05 gb
    000001.MTS = 4.29gb 000002.MTS = 605.7 mb 000003.MTS = 1GB

Using 5DtoRGB, I'm able to convert everything BUT 000002.MTS. 5DtoRGB hangs on the last 2 frames and I can't get Toast to convert it either. I've tried copying the file to the HD rather than trying to convert directly off the card and still no luck.

Any suggestions? I did the same thing with my other GH2 using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s card and of course as LPowell says, it spanned fine.

Is there any way to get this file back? I don't need the last 2 frames of 000002.MTS but the rest of it sure would be helpful! Thanks for any suggestions.

• The data rate of 40+mbits s

OEM can't do 40, FM has to be loaded

• @FilmingArt, as jrd was saying, shoot a quick video clip using stock firmware, check the bitrate using MediaInfo (usually somewhere around 20Mbps). Then load the hacked firmware, shoot a quick video clip, and confirm that the bitrate is now higher.

• @yeyod28 Where did you see GF2?

• You can apply this hack to the GF2?

• The 2 reference frames have nothing to do with the setting.

• @FilmingArt What jrd said.....FM's loaded, enjoy!

• @filmingArt

Your analysis indicates 2 reference frames, which is consistent with the Flowmotion GOP3 structure of one I frame and two B frames. The data rate of 40+mbits suggests the subject matter you shot wasn't very demanding (Flowmotion can easily clock at twice that rate), but is still well above what the stock firmware would have delivered (a maximum of 24mbits, for 24p).

I believe the current Flowmotion removes the ISO limit by default (unless that option is deselected), so if you check your ISO menu and none of the values are grayed out, that also should tell you whether the firmware "took".

• @TGDude I downloaded the program but not sure what to look for? Here is a copy of the info from the .mts file.

Screen shot 2012-08-07 at 2.52.jpg
    1134 x 1036 - 774K
  • @lpowell, yes, that's the one. Couldn't believe it.

• @FilmingArt I am also a mac user. I use Wineskin to run ptools and I use an app called MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) to check the bitrate of my .MTS files to confirm that the new firmware is working. It doesn't give as much detailed data as StreamParser though.

• How do I know if I installed the patch? I used a program wine bottle and appear that I created a new firmware with the flowmotion v2.02

I placed it on the root of the card, held the play button as chose to load it up. Now how do I check to see that I am running the hack and not the original firmware? Long time Canon shooter here that made the switch and I feel lost. On the Canon Dslr the Magic Lantern hack was a totally different menu, but as of now with the Gh2 it's the same exact menu ( assuming I did it correctly).

• Exernal recorder helps alot on af100 with this kind of fast movements.

• I have been trying for 3 days to install this on my computer and it is not working? Why or how is it possible that a step by step instruction does not exist for MAC?

Please help me

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions