Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • it happened on a shoot yesterday multiple times stopping about 10 or 15 seconds in until after about 4 tries it recording long enough for us to capture the shot. it was the only time in the entire shoot we used a native m 4/3rd lens (14mm 2.5) I was shooting with flowmotion on 24p H mode. This morning I put the lens on to test it and it went 24 minutes befor stopping. Panny battery was full at the same settings. I then changed setting to 720p 60 and after about 20 it stopped as well. I now put a samyang 35mm on with adapter and it's been running staring at the tv on 720p 60 settings for over one hour just fine.

• I'm also using sandisk 64gb 95mbs cards

• @Loganm187 I think the additional strain on the processor just makes it tired. I've never had a failure in FM using anything other than electronic lenses.

It gets worse in TE mode.

This happens once in a while with FM2X (Never had it in the old FM), in all of Nicks settings and everything except Sanity.

I keep preloaded cheap SD cards with all the settings I use. FM2.2 is my all around setting I keep in one camera...Sedna, CM Night and Sanity are the others that get swapped around in the other camera.

• UPDATE Camera just stopped recording with none native lens at 1 hour and 13 minutes. It seems all 3 gh2's are doing this. This has to be a known problem.

• @Loganm187 Thanks for your report. It would be helpful if you could detail the GH2 setup and exposure settings you were using at the time the camera stopped recording. This would allow me to better narrow down the possible causes.

The cases where the camera stopped recording after running for 20 minutes or more are very likely file-spanning failures. This is one of the more fragile features of the GH2 and has been very time-consuming to test. You may be able to determine if this was the case by examining the length of the last MTS file the camera recorded before it stopped. If it is either close to 4GB in size, or is a very short file immediately following a 4GB file, then it is a file-spanning failure.

I documented the potential for recording failures when using Lumix auto-focus lenses in 720p60 SH modes in the first post of this thread. This behavior is consistent with your report of the camera working faultlessly with manual-focus lenses, but not with Lumix lenses.

For reliable recording in both the file-spanning and 720p cases, I recommend using Flow Motion's 60Mbps 24L, FH, or H video modes rather than the 100Mbps 24H, HBR, FSH and SH modes. Aside from being safely limited to a 60Mbps peak bitrate, 24L, FH, and H video modes work exactly the same as FM2's 100Mbps modes, producing excellent motion picture quality with just a notch tighter compression.

• Another ridiculous flow motion test.

• @Lambo Real nice Lambo! What lens, setting and post did you use/do?

• thx Peter, Nokton 25mm f/0.95, smooth -2,-2,0,-2 post in Final Cut Pro 7: ProgAmp, Colorbalance and 3 way color correction.

• Here's a comparison shot of the Nikon D5100, with Picture and White Balance settings adjusted for a close match with the GH2 in 24H mode, using Flow Motion v2.02:

Nikon D5100

Panasonic GH2

Nikon D5100 Daylight Settings:

ISO -1/3 stop slower than GH2

Picture Control - NL

Sharpness 3

Contrast 0

Brightness -1

Saturation -1

Hue 0

WB Sunlight

A+3

M-1

GH2 Daylight Settings:

Film Mode Smooth

Contrast -2

Sharpness -2

Saturation -1

Noise Reduce -2

WB Daylight

A-3

M-2

• @LPowell I enjoy these comparisons Lee...Thanks!

The Nikon looks more saturated.

• @peternap Yes, I took another look at the D5100 settings, and decided it did appear a bit saturated and contrasty. I just revised the settings above and uploaded new sample footage.

• After matching the GH1's color balance to the GH2, I took both cameras out for a quick field test. On the GH1, I shot in Native 24p mode using the 100Mbps Max Latitude Patch. On the GH2, I used Flow Motion v2 in both 24H and HBR modes.

Here are unedited, 200% magnified crops of the three video modes. Props if you can correctly identify them!

Untitled-0.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 231K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 239K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 252K
  • Top...GH1, Bottom GH2, H, Center....HBR. ?????????

They look very good!

• GH1 - HBR - 24H

• Center is GH1. Actually, the difference can be more pronounced on other subjects. It would be easy to identify the GH1 if there were any thin straight lines diagonally across the image - thats were the GH1 is noticably worse than the GH2 in terms of aliasing.

• Bottom is definitely Flow Motion. The first two could be either..If @lpowell would continue with the the Gh1 hack, Im sure we could close the difference :-)

• Congrats to @GMC, who spotted the center frame grab (Untitled-1.jpg) as the GH1. As everyone noted, the bottom shot (Untitled-2.jpg) was shot in 24H mode by the GH2, leaving the top shot in HBR. To my eyes, the best in image quality is the GH2 24H, followed by GH1 FHD, and GH2 HBR. It's a very close competition, however, and all three look much better than an unhacked GH2.

Here are links to the original, downloadable video files:

GH2 HBR - Flow Motion v2:

GH1 FHD - Max Latitude v2:

GH2 24H - Flow Motion v2:

• Thanks @LPowell! I agree that the best IQ is GH2 24H. Second best is GH1 and then comes GH2 HBR. For some reason GH2 HBR is really not that good (although on a high level). If not absolutely needed, I don't use it any more. GH1 is still fantastic, I use it a lot. The only issue is with dark area detail, and diagonal thin lines in the frame. Here, the GH2 24H really shines.

• Here are the Film Mode and White Balance settings I used in the GH1 and GH2 tests. These are daylight settings designed to remove the greenish cast of both the GH1 and GH2 in AVCHD video modes.

GH2 Daylight Settings

Film Mode Smooth

Contrast -2

Sharpness -2

Saturation -1

Noise Reduce -2

WB Sunlight

A-3

M-2

GH1 Daylight Settings

ISO -1/3rd stop slower than GH2

Film Mode Smooth

Contrast -2

Sharpness -2

Saturation -1

Noise Reduce -2

WB Sunlight

A-2

M-5

• What do

A-3

M-2

Refer to? Thanks!

• @CFreak It is in reference to the White Balance Adjust menu where you move the WB point three points towards Amber and two points towards Magenta from its default centre point along the 4-point axes.

• I bought my GH2 about a month ago and have done a ton of research since. When it came to hacks I ended up debating between the stability of Flowmotion V2.02 and the visual quality of Sedna AQ1. After a little testing my less than blazing PC and lack of 64GB Sandisk Extreme cards made Flowmotion V2.02 the clear choice.

Thanks for all the hard work from everyone and especially @Vitaliy_Kiselev @LPowell @driftwood. I donated $5 for now because I'm broke after buying all this gear :-P

• @LPowell

I just joined, bought My GH2 and switching over from a Canon 60d. I am currently a Mac user, how is it that I can install this hack on my camera and use it? TO my understanding it is only PC? Finally THANK YOU for your hard work & let me know how is it that I can donate to you, the site or somewhere else as I am new here?

Thank you

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions