Personal View site logo
GH2: MJPEG 100Mbps Low Light 1080p Settings
  • 112 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, really scary. The codec writes near the half peak bitrate if the card is too slow. If you would take a Sandisk Extreme 30 mb/s, you could use Lpowell recommended 100mbit settings. But I don´t see differences between 80 mbit and 100 mbit, it´s okay for me.
  • @Angry_C. That seems to have fixed the problem... interesting, and THANK YOU. So the card doesn't necessarily cause a failure but can cause a degradation. Scary.
  • I don't see how Uwe's clip settles whether or not the 1080P MJPEG is upscaled since there is only a 720P version available for download.
  • @cosimo_bullo:

Maybe this is a help for you, too.
    I changed the settings to the following values and now all my files are about 80 mbit in reallife shots and 90 mbit on deathchart. This can be handled by my transcend class 10 cards.

720p30 width=1920
    720p30 height=1080
    E1 Quality=360
    E1 Table=24
    E2 Quality=180
    E2 Table=36
    E3 Quality=158
    E3 Table=48
    E4 Quality=135
    E4 Table=4
  • re: Uwe Lansing vimeo clip

I dunno. Myself and another person watched the download file 3 times and we independently agreed that not much different on some of the clips but about2/3 of the time liking the avchd side more than the mpeg side, although we both agreed, watching a story, the differences are not going to be noticed by 99.9 percent of the peeps. Anybody know what the data rates for the clips? What were the avchd settings?

Put me in the "of those two, if one of the settings was more stable or used significantly less disk space or was easier to color correct or edit in post, I'd use that one. No playback on camera would be a deal breaker for me.

Do the first few frames play back ok on the mjpeg hack? Does it roll over into 2 2nd clip automatically after 4gb?
  • @Angry C. That could be it, but I'd have imagined a card speed issue would have resulted in a failure, not in corrupted footage... Hmmm. I'm using Class 10 patriot 16 gig cards, btw.
  • @Lpowell

In my opinion this patch is the best looking footage I have been able to achieve from the GH2. So, thank you for working on it. Do you think it will ever be possible to run at 24p frame rate? Is it even a possibility?

Been messing around with all of the avchd patches for the last few days with okay results. Nobody was blown away. Then I was playing back some footage from your patch and everyone was asking" What did you do different?" In a good way! Much more organic.

• @cosimo_bullo

maybe the same problem. But only with transcend 32 gb class 10 cards. Writing speed is near 12 mbyte/s, so maybe the card limit.

With Sandisk extreme 30mb/s there´s no problem. But I want to use my two 32gb cards.

@Lpowell

Could you tell me mjpg settings with max. bitrate peaks of 80mbit, so I can use my 32 gb cards? Thanks.
  • We've been loving MJPEG with the hack but seem to be suffering from a new problem. Some of our shots start looking good, but then get macroblocky after a couple of seconds (see provided 2x jpegs) Anybody else having similar problems?
    1.jpg
    659 x 349 - 139K
    2.jpg
    550 x 348 - 84K
  • @Lpowell

Can you help me? From 10 Shots 8 Clips have bitrates about 40-50 Mbit and 2 Clips have 90-95 Mbit. Only the 90 Mbit clips are looking good. I allways used shutter 1/60. What went wrong?

• Uwe Lansing recently put together a detailed series of comparison shots between GH2 AVCHD 1080p24 and 100Mbps MJPEG 1080p30 footage. I think he just may have settled the question as to whether 1080p MJPEG is actually upscaled from a 720p frame:

• Wow, just loaded up this patch and shot some footage... amazing! Very nice and organic. It also can take pretty much any grading you can throw at it without significant degradation. I really hope there will be an option for different frame-rates (24p, 25p, ect.) so it can be used in dialog scenes. Right now I'm just shooting the 30p and conforming it to 24p with CinemaTools... which works for about anything you don't need audio sync for.

Also, there is no underexposed banding... (so far) it may help solve the "8-bit scapegoat." It is a bit noisier though, so maybe it is just up-scaling the 720p mode?

Not getting any read/write errors either. Using a SanDisk Extream 8gb 45mbp/s card.
  • if i had avchd 24p clips in my timeline ,how much difference would that be when merge with this new 100mbps mpeg 30p clips after render
  • Confucius say, "Man who complain about SEEING noise, not using his senses and sensors properly, but will be HEARING from the censors soon."
  • @EOSHD
    As far as I remember I told you to stay out of this topic.
    And it looks like you have problems with reading :-)

Topic cleared and some content with value moved to new topic:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/492/eoshd-crusade-on-mjpeg-hacks
  • I would say that any settings that work and deliver something stable / production worthy are a benefit to the community. The more the better and be it Low GOP or MJPEG 100mbit it all comes to choice in the end.

It is of no ones business to pitch one over the other. Every research gets us closer to a better goal and not to individual fame. I believe credit should be given to every patcher where its due but the kind of kid brawl here is uncalled for.

Please lets get back to testing all of these great settings and leave the fights out of this forum. Thank you!
  • I'm too busy making a living out of cinematography to waste my time on a pissing contest. But really...WTF...to imply that highly experienced, working photographers don't have the ability to do their own tests and decide what settings/codec is best for their application. That's a bit rich.

Besides...I haven't even bothered to do a "low light" test yet....

If I try a new MJPEG patch on a new camera and it works better than the crappy MJPEG did on the GH13...all I need to say is thanks to the person (IPowell) who brought it to my attention. If you don't like it ...don't fucking well use it...

By the way, I read EOSHD most days...
  • Yes, you can set the MJPEG HD width and height patches to any dimensions you prefer, up to a maximum of 1920 wide and 1080 high. For best results, use dimensions that are evenly divisible by 2, and with an aspect ratio of 16:9.
  • Is possible to use this patch with 720p too ?
    I don't like upscaled 1080p, 'cose i see more noise at 3200 ISO
  • If you are using high ISO values the hacked values will show more noise (actually, they will show more of everything). Good noise reduction plug-ins will be able to differentiate between increased noise and increased detail much better than the camera, though, so the end result (especially with good post processing) will be better.

Chris
  • There isn't really anything to post. The test shots are uninteresting except that they can be used to feed image testing tools. I typically post results at the end of a test. It's all pretty dull technical stuff, though; mostly useful for people like Vitaliy and LPowell.

Chris
  • @cbr, thanks for the reply, did you by chance post any of your tests on vimeo or some such place?
    I know it's early in the process, and there's a lot of excitement and maybe it's too early for shootout type footage posts.

@butt
    >>>why make do not an AB comparison test?>>>>

Not sure what you mean here. If you mean why make an AB test, I'd like to see how much difference the hack makes over a stock GH2. So far it sounds like the hack provides a clean motion signature but introduces more grain.

• Before dismissing this MJPEG patch, presumably based on what could be achieved with the GH1, it might be prudent for people to try it for themselves.

It may be an entirely subjective view, but from what I've seen so far GH2 MJPEG clips treated respectfully with a good decoder are not too far off their AVCHD counterparts. It's no reason to switch over from AVCHD, but it remains an interesting development given that I didn't care much for the quality of GH1 MJPEG clips.

I did some tests earlier, and in the majority of the clips the MJPEG sharpness is almost toe-to-toe with that of the AVCHD clips. Add some light sharpening in Avisynth (with LimitedSharpenFaster) and the two are more or less level.

@EOSHD You cannot expect to introduce yourself to someone's topic in such a brusque manner, attempting to discredit their work, then complain when they take it badly. If anything, LPowell's reply is somewhat restrained.
  • @brianluce

I have done AB comparisons under controlled circumstances. Higher bitrates definitely improve temporal behavior in a measurable way. Higher bitrates also improve detail because lower quantization values can be used (also measurable). We haven't figured out how to get even lower quantization values in 24H yet, but that will come.

The way this particular codec works is that it estimates how detailed macroblocks should be allowed to be. Sometimes it gets the estimate wrong. The result is that lower in the frame you will see mud or stuttering motion because the codec had to abandon additional processing because it ran out of bandwidth.

This is all measurable. Furthermore, I have seen clips posted that showed all this.

As for subjective analysis. Well... subjective analysis can always add to technical analysis. Ultimately, though, you'll never "see" anything a codec is not capable of producing. Nothing gets fixed without some sort of controlled technical analysis. Also I find it unlikely that something that is measurable and repeatable won't be visible - it's just a lot harder to find strictly visually, especially if you are looking for something that is missing rather then something that is there. I've seen lots of footage that "felt" better or worse, although it was not obvious why. Controlled technical analysis usually got to the issue. Note that I am not talking about pixel-peeping, that's still pretty subjective.

Chris