Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • Hi people,

Just want to share this film though it's all thanks to Driftwood and Vitaly I wanted to create this film and show everyone the sharpness and quality you can get from this little camera. It's also an experiment to see how hard you can go on the grading even though the codec isn't really made for that kind of stuff. It worked pretty good, better than I thought actually even though we all know it's not perfect in some way. But still, it's very cheap equipment and compared to many other cameras with the same prices it's really good!

I was using the old Orion v4b, Nostalgic (-2-2-2-2). I can't say I recommend Nostalgic though I had a hard time to get the skin tones back, it seemed to often get blown out while the rest of the scene could be really dark.

The lens was Samyang 35mm 1.4

1.jpg
    1920 x 816 - 1M
    5.jpg
    1920 x 816 - 1M
    2.jpg
    1920 x 816 - 1M
    6.jpg
    1920 x 816 - 926K
    8.jpg
    1920 x 816 - 2M
    4.jpg
    1920 x 816 - 707K
  • David, Wow, very nice work here man! As you know Nostalgic is warm to start.
    Also, Nostalgic is by far the noisest of the GH2 profiles, but some like the grain it offers.

• @davidhjlindberg Nice work! How did you do the slo-mo part with her hair flowing like it was shot with 1000fps?

• @davidhjlindberg What adapter for the samyang did you use?

• I've been trying "Globular" Cluster V5 last night, image quality is awesome and bitrate is less crazy than Sedna AQ1. However I have random issues reading the video within camera. At first everything was fine. Then "Unable to read the video file" message was displayed on the LCD (affecting both video and stills !) I am using 16 Go Sandisk SD HC Card Class 10 (30Mo/sec) When camera is switched off and on the video can be played.

Does someone have information to share on this problem? Thanks

PS : I may try the new Cluster V5.1 (Sedna Based) but it seems "beta"

• One battery-removing lockup 7 seconds in with Cluster v6 RC 2. Static scene, HBR mode, Smooth -2-2-2-2, manual lens, SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s. Was not able to reproduce issue in subsequent attempts. Image quality is some of the best I've seen using HBR mode.

• @disastronaut use conversation pm only please! See the group you were added to ? :-)

@davidhjlindberg Simply brilliant. Well done David.

• @davidhjlindberg Been waiting on this for some time now Bro LOve your Work

• @davidhjlindberg, amazing piece there! Love it. This's another solid piece made with that GH2 that I have seen so far. Great work! Keep up the good work.

• @davidhjlindberg :color grading is amazing!!!...love your work

• David! Amazing work. Panasonic should buy it from you to promote the Gh-2. Can you share any pics of your rig. I have a dance related video to shoot.

• Hey guys,

So we went to NYC couple weeks back for vimeo awards but we got inspired by the city to do something fun! We used the revamped Quantum 9b for this

Enjoy!

• @GhostLayer This happens periodically with several of the hacked settings, not just with Cluster. Normally I workaround it by turning the camera off and again like you did. As to when it happens, it seems to be related to how you review and shoot your footage. I seem to remember that if I switched modes too quickly it could sometimes do that, or if I rushed the camera after I finished recording.... but it was never enough of a nuisance for me to try to properly debug it. That would have meant taking time away from all the other testing. :)

• @jhero very nice for "something fun"! Love the framing, music etc.... very cool. Share your gears for this short?

• I just lost half-day worth of video on my SDXC card. First time such thing happened, so far, in a couple of years using all kinds of devices/SD cards...

Video was shot on GH2 with Cluster v4. (at this point I don't think the hack has anything to do with the problem, though...)

I then used a card reader to transfer files from some CF card. Reader has SDXC/SDHC slot, so while CF files were transferring, I put my SDXC 64GB 95MB/s card in it as well, and it opened fine. I then tried to rename a dozen video files (by teh way guys, Cluster v4 seems to span just fine in 24H mode.)

While file rename operation was in progress, it took longer than it should and ended in Win 7 error message, something about wrong drive inserted.

Sure enough, SDXC card disconnected.

Subsequent attempts to read it (in a number of different readers) revealed that the entire file structure is gone, and Win wanted to Format the card because it only saw "RAW" data on it.

My attempts to recover the data (I have Recuva app, it works OK most of the time) were unsuccessful.

So looks like the entire bunch of videos on this card is lost.

I think, most likely, either the reader hardware, or Win OS glitched and bricked the card's file system.

So I suppose, when it's time to transfer footage to your computer, don't try to operate on more than ONE card at a time...

• @mo7ies >And also slide the write lock on the SD card so nothing can write to it while transferring. Simple thing but should become a habit.

• I needed OS to write to the card as I was renaming files there. I routinely rename files on card before transfer, for years, and nothing of the sorts ever happened. Suspicious mostly of the USB3 card reader I have - it probably glitched, disconnected the card during renaming, and voila - it was equal to pulling the card out without dismounting it properly, so the file system was lost!

• I would never write anything to my originals!

– The first thing I do when I get the card out of the cam is protecting it.

– The second step is backing it up.

I even refuse to let anyone check images on the card – maybe I'm paranoid, but I never lost a single file that way.

I rate my work and that of all other participants in a shoot more valuable than having a few extra cards at hand.

Nevertheless, I feel sorry for your loss.

• @jhero Thats bloody good. Well done - some really nice framing indeed. Looks good at night :-)

@mo7ies Sorry to hear about your card corruption. Have you tried any of the Panasonic SDcard Recovery tools just in case?

• @nomad Same here. No viewing or reviewing, straight in the reader and I back up to NAS (RAID 1), and copy to computer for edit.

• @thepalalias thanks for your answer. I have definitely rushed on the play button :) I'll try to wait a few seconds to see if the hurry causes the glitch.

• Thanks! I used the 14-140 for the outside day shots along with a mix of 25mm Voigt and the 12mm Olympus

Tripod and slider and that was it!

• @mo7ies I was using Twixtor, and those scenes were shot in 720p 60fps. @disneytoy I don't really have a rig, just my GH2 set on a tripod. On the handheld shots I was just holding the legs of the tripod.

Thanks everybody for such a nice appreciation!

• I came across this video in YouTube showing the test of GH2 EX-Tele mode overcrancked. This was done over a year ago which means it was the stock firmware prior to hacks coming out. Nice job.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions