Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood It's not "sillyness" when you accuse me of misrepresenting test reports, it's a lame personal attack that you haven't backed up with any tangible evidence at all. I'll stop defending myself with real evidence when I see you publicly retract that bullshit. Until then, you can play self-aggrandizing games with Stream Parser to your heart's content.

• it's clear ,..I will keep idynamics and iR off in video mode.

• @driftwood+LPowell Cooldown and Chill Dude's!

• Stay with the plan Lee. I don't think Ive ever played the self-aggrandizing personal view? Have I? Could you show me? I think Ive done a year of solid labour and support around here and I am certainly not on the offensive.

• @Driftwood and LeePowell Hi guys,i think your vision of improvement is very different . LeePowell have a patch finely tuned in time for IQ/stability. Very Pragmatic way. NickDiftwood introduce personnality in patch with matrix and intra setting. More Esthetic way. Question of sensibility. More stability or more image personality... And depend of what you are shooting(events/doc/pub/short...) Making and watching movies depend much of sensibility. Each have one. I'm sure everyone here, since the early patch, know whitch way he prefer!!! You know you are both technical leader in this forum, you make it so rich!!! And you share your knowledges with so much symphaty... even with guy like me, writing english so badly!!! SO WATH'S UP!!!

• ok, perhaps this is not pertinent...

but, comparing 3gop footage(flomotion) to 12 gop(clusterv5) is like apples to oranges;

they are so different in a multitude of other ways when i watch them,,, like instead of the 3gop's:

tick tick BOOM

(ticks being B frame and BOOM being i frame)

the 12 gop goes....

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick BOOM....

so they are apples and oranges...

or;

am i off from the centre and on a different circle from ya'll completely??

thanx 4 any opinions others have on this...

• @Driftwood I tried to shoot bmx dirt jumps today in the woods at 720 60p SH and got write errors the whole time on my sandisk 30Mb/s with cluster v5. The shutter was at 60, white balance incandescent, vibrant -2 -2 -2 -2.

• "Hang on. It says sausages up there. Where's me other bloody sausage then?"

@brant_moore Thanks for the report, its back to the drawing board then. I developed on 20Mb/s cards and 30Mb/s cards which passed ok all the initial destruction tests. If there's any chance you could report with streamparser the Total GOP Size achieved for any files which did record I would be interested. Its important. And sorry to hear about the no recs. Also, did you try 24p?

At the moment the concensus is that users emailing me prefer the look and quality of 720p60/50 of Cluster 3 6 GOP with Sedna. So I'll be looking to combine that with current 12/15 GOP on 24p/HBR25p and spend more time on developing HBR30p/1080i60. Any input from Cluster users for HBR30p is much appreciated.

• Hello,

Is there a better setting for a high ISO 12,800 - Dynamic B&W as shot by Andrew Reid. So what would preserve the B&W grain the best? With the fact I would not be recording color info.

• I was filming with Cluster v5 at 720p, in a park with tress and windy day no one failure. But on a 64GB 95mb/s card. Looks great!

• @driftwood It says the max GOP size was 20,084,160 Bytes. Not sure if thats what you're asking for. When i look at the GOP .Frame column it seems that the recording was stopped when it reached the number 24.14. I have it in front of me if you need anything else. I didn't try 24p, i just put it on H rather than SH and recording was just fine.

Which patch would you recommend for the best quality 720 60p recordings that will be stable on the sandisk 30Mb/s card in high detail?

• @brant_moore Thanks for this. Could you email or upload a screen grab of Streamparser with the bitrate/GOP info dialog box thanks.

Many users really like 'Cluster v3 6GOP with Sedna' setting (not patch) as their preference. Patches are the components, made by Vitaliy, found inside Ptools, which alter the AVCHD codec inside the camera. Settings are Testers (or your own edited settings) calculations & input using these patches. Together these patches create the overall settiing (e.g. called Cluster, Sedna, Canis, etc...)

• @driftwood If you need anything else let me know. My mistake, but alright I'll give it a shot. Would using something other than SH under 720 60p give me better results?

This will be the third different setting ive loaded onto my GH2 trying to film fast motion bmx at 720 60p. V4 and V5 have both given me write errors.

Untitled.png
    1024 x 768 - 305K
  • I have spent time testing every setting that has come out in the last few months. I am interested in a good balance of all recording modes not just 24p. Here are some suggestions based on what I have found in the past few months of testing. For the most part 24p looks very good in all of the settings. the problem has been HBR, 1080i and 720p.
    1) Cluster v3 6GOP with Sedna matrix is a good all around setting. the HBR and FSH are stable at 55-65mbs with very good detail. 720p SH may have some intermittent write errors but the 720p H mode is very stable averaging 45mbs with very good quality.

2) Flow motion 2.02 is also a good all around setting with HBR and FSH stable at 60-70mbs with very good quality. 720p SH does have write errors but I raised the FH/H bitrate from original 55mbs by @LPowell to 77mbs in ptools and that improved the quality of the 720p H mode averaging 50mbs with very good quality.

3) If you are like me who likes 24p GOP1(intra), then I created a Sedna A Q20 - Sanity 4.1 hybrid using Sedna matrix or as @driftwood calls it Crossfire (in GH2 settings vault) which provides 24H at 140mbs and 24L at 77mbs GOP1. HBR, 1080i and 720p are longer GOP of 18 (using @Ralph_B Sanity 4.1), very stable and provide very good quality averaging around 40mbs. Hope this is helpful to some people specially new comers. Cheers,

• @Zaven13 I tried your hybrid when you first put it out Zaven. It is pretty darn good. Have you changed it since then?

• @Zaven13 After reading reports of failures in Flow Motion's 720p60 SH mode when using auto-exposure features, I did more testing on the consumer-friendly automated options of the camera. My hunch is that virtually all of the v2.02 stability issues in 720p60 SH mode are related to the use of any combination of the following options:

• iA auto-everything mode

• Creative Movie Mode in P, A, or S exposure modes

• iDynamic exposure modes

• i.R "Intelligent Resolution" modes

As you mentioned, Flow Motion v2.02 already provides a way to make reliable use of these convenient auto-exposure features in 720p mode - the 60Mbps H mode (and the 1080i FH mode as well). If you have time, I'm wondering if you could try to confirm how reliable 720p60 SH mode is in manual exposure mode with all of the above features turned off?

• @peternap. No. I had No reason to. Why change when it is not broken.

• Cluster V4 6gop variation, I cover a 20 minutes dance performance with a 16gb Sandisck extreme pro. No problem at all. Very bad lighting condition at the place, at 1600 iso, very pleasent fine noise. This will be part of an interview I will shoot with the dancers, I will post it when is done.

• @LPowell. I did the tests you suggested above (turning iDynamic off) pointing the camera to the TV screen and let it record in SH mode. iA mode and the P mode were the first two I tried and they both failed after few seconds. Then I tried Creative Movie Mode (Manual mode) with both ISO 800 and 1600. It recorded for 4 minutes with no problem until I stopped it. So it does help to turn some features off and record in manual movie mode. I am assuming that if it worked in FM 2.02's case, it may also work for other settings like Cluster.

• @LPowell, @driftwood - I've had the gh2 for nearly 4 months now and have been shooting various things with all your settings, or at least most of them. It's my first digital camera. Before it was always film. I can say that there has not been one real problem with any of the settings, when I have done my job correctly behind the camera. Compared to the magnitude of some of the 35/16mm screw ups I have been a part of, there is nothing wrong here. Recently, a chap posted a beautiful narrative clip of a tense guy and a ballet dancer, that was shot with the gh2 and flo mo or cluster, and wowza! there's the proof. He was doing his part by getting the contrast ratio right, moving ahead beyond whatever little problems get in the way. What a relief this is - Not at a dollar per second as with 16mm... $5 in 35mm. I am amazed how great this little camera is, when used with care. I've used the red epic, red one, alexa and a few other rentals, but this little camera with vitaly's hack and your creativity is the wind of change. It's really fun to be part of. So thanks eh!

• OK yall, I want to caveat everything first by saying thank you to everyone out there who make these hacks possible! To all the testers and to @driftwood and VK for their work!! Mad respect. The GH2 is the first non Point and shoot camera I've ever bought... just having fun with it for now. So I'll give the stats first:

Shot w/ GH2, olympus M. zuiko 12mm lens / SS - 50 / F-2.0 / 24p H / 160 ISO / 64gb san disk 95mb/s extreme pro / variable ND filer / Premiere Pro CS5.5 w/ magic bullet looks / Driftwood cluster v5.0 "Globular" patch.

The night before the shoot, I took it out for a test, and the camera crapped out on me after 5:30 with a "memory...write...slow...something" error. I had to pull the battery out to turn off the camera. I was waving my hand really fast and shaking the shit out of the camera. So I figured for the shoot the next day, I would be fine if I made all of the shots 5min or under. This patch is amazing....it takes such little space on the mem card and the colors are amazing...

Well, here are the results:

I'm really amateur at filming, as I'm totally new to this, so all feedback is welcome!!!!! Thanks so much to all!

Jimmy

• @driftwood "Yeah, you didn't let the dog in free, did you?"

• @driftwood It is not easy to dropbox 4.3 gigs. what can i use to cut the mts down to the seconds around the error without altering? Mpeg streamclip?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions