Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood IR and IDynamic should be kept off for top notch patches??? i shot few with both of these off. the footage is so good and friendly in post. is it something to do with the details?? does it change anything really or just an illusion?

• @rsquires I expect the difference is that I was shooting in lower light (Sun below the treeline), and doing slow pans. The bitrate was pretty low as I recall (fiftyish). I had the same problem as you with Sedna. Super images but lockups in fast pans especially over water and bright light.

I was also in Shutter priority and an AE/AF lock most of the time at 1/125.

@LPowell...you're both bloody geniuses Lee!

• @driftwood sir is it mysteron technically so special than Canis Majoris Night and Sedna A AQ1???

• @rsquires Ok, thanks for testing. Don't worry Ill adjust a bit more balance for you. Keep the results coming chaps. We'll get reliability in the end. I will be doing a Crossfire Cluster of the best of all settings once we establish the all best performance.

• yeah, like @Zaven13, I live in PAL land and shoot HBR all the time, and have found Cluster v3 with Sedna settings to be sharpest and most filmic. I ramped up AQ1 to max detail, even then v3 has not caused the cam to die or lock up. I have also tested Clusters v4, and v5, albeit not as extensively as Cluster v3; v4 locked up my cam quite a fair bit, which means it didn't span for some reason? and cluster v5, while great on 24H, just did not give as much info as v3 in HBR mode.

Regardless, thanks Driftwood, for the great work and inspired genius!

• @driftwood I was using the Panny 45-200. Bright sunlight with no ND so shooting 100-200 shutter with 7.1-11 fstop mostly at the far end of the lense. Tripod mounted but pretty fast pans as trying to catch fast action. I do remember a lock up when I was using auto focus continuous. There was a wire fence in the BG and it locked on that because I think the auto focus probably got confused. I had a couple of lock ups more than when I used Flowmotion the week before. Looks bloody good but lock ups in 720p Pal mean I need to look at a lower quality but more reliable patch perhaps

• @rsquires 720p mode. Describe scenery daylight, shutter speed, duration before lockup, etc...

• @mo7Ies 24p Cluster v4 is good and in my own motion water and seas test stays close to target Q 16 achieving better results than flowmo. Lee's test above is carefully massaged to show better results. He would make a wonderful politician but I'm not sure I would trust his Lab results from now on.

Give Cluster v5 /5.1 a try as I want your feedback - lets get this setting nailed.

• I had a go with Cluster 5 Globular in 720p mode with 45-200mm lens. I did have some lock ups which was a shame as one of them was my boys goal! This was with auto focus on I think.

• paglez

In cinematic motion I refer how motion is captured, not in picture quality in itself: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2848/gh2-in-24p-noticeable-strobe-effect-with-any-motion-in-frame/p4?Sort=date

• @mo7ies Cluster v4 is a high-quality long-GOP patch, with peak bitrates up to 100Mbps. However, its P and B-frames are encoded with average quantization levels that are coarser than those used in the B-frames in Flow Motion v2.

Here's an unfiltered frame grab from a pair of comparison videos displayed at 200% magnification. The Cluster v4 frame at the top looks very good, with no visible macroblock artifacts. However, its limited bitrate was not able to capture quite as much flowing water detail as the Flow Motion v2 frame below it.

Cluster vs FM2 - x2.jpg
    1024 x 868 - 371K
  • I tried Cluster 5.1 against CM night this evening. 5.1 looks mighty good until dusk, then I got more noise than CMN. This grab was 720-60, 14-140, smooth -2 ISO 200 Sandisk 16 gig 45 mb and no errors. I didn't test for spanning.

Cluster 5.1

• @driftwood - in your opinion, is it worth it to upgrade from Cluster v4 12/15 GOP to v5? or to v5.1?

The idea is to have the best quality hack possible, while still having reliable recording and spanning - at least in 24H mode.

(For super reliable, good everyday quality I use Ralph_B's wonderful Sanity v5.)

• @mo7ies Slightly different angle and light.

• Higher ISO will can add more bitrate upto 25%.

• Cluster v5 sedna - very fine grain indeed. Also at iso1600 the noise is very minimal. 3200 looks good too. I tried soft and standard all -2. I noticed the high iso(closed the f stops so exposure looks the same) adds up to 30mb extra to the bitrate(the same static scene,indoor fixed light), is this something that happens to all the patches?

• Guys, I was making a comparison (for my own purposes) of high-end hacks, Driftwood Cluster v4 vs LPowell's Flow Motion v2.02.

The comparison was done simply by placing my two GH2 cams on a bar and running them simultaneously, with two hacks as above. Exact same settings on both cameras.

Results:

Frankly, IMHO, in every situation Cluster v4 looked better... on static shots, on motion shots... just more contrast, more detail, better motion representation... EXCEPT for one test scene so far. See screen capture below:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8-e5MfdPT29eXRhM0RHakcwREk

Here, Flow Motion has definitely less stairstepping artifacts (see arrows) than Cluster v4.

Do you know why is that? (Granted, this particular screen cap was done with 400% zoom in, but even without teh zoom the problematic area looked "dirty" at normal 100% magnification...)

• I've just tried the new Driftwood Globular (Cluster V5) : the footage looks amazing (in 24p, HBR and 720p) I think I will stick to it. I was using Sedna AQ1 [C] so far but I have experienced a few freeze/errors (using good Sandisk Class 10 cards) which was a bit stressful when shooting a short film with a crew. This optimized Globular patch should suit me better. Thanks again to Driftwood

• I like Mysteron better personally but Dark Matter has a very nice feel to it and brighter.

• How is Mysteron aganist Orion v4d dark matter v3?

• I noticed the lines also. Stuck out more in Nostalgic. But the grain I don't mind.

• Its got a lovely grain - Rest assured :-) It's Vimeo I'm sure. However, if youre experiencing grain problems in the recordings tell me more info about conditions etc...

If you check the vimeo of Streameye Pro above notice how the avg picture quantisation matches the settings specified (the target!) in Ptools Q patches. Notice how Prediction works and motion vectors plus how macroblocks are divided - you can go deep into these to check quantisation co-effecients. Also notice how every GH2 stream takes between 1 and 2 seconds to settle into its groove.

I recommend this programme for all testers - download the eval version from Elecard.

• @driftwood Love V5.1 just flash it on my new GH2 after my last Bricked, I don't see the grains @7pc talking about but doing some more test myself

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions