Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • I see this a lot in my footage. Makes the material unusable. Unless i go black and white.

• @gorgal It's a banding issue. (old problem in 8 bits pictures)

• I have more of a general question as i have noticed this on other patches too (24p and HBR). You see a shift in gradients (?) when i move my nose to the edge of the frame, and back. What is causing this?

Check out the clip on Vimeo (password: nose):

• @Karl Thanks Karl! That may save me a lot of testing time. The noise at night is very tight grain and light. Motion testing was scheduled for today. I have to have 720-60.

• Today I had an opportunity to try the "cluster v3" with my usual "moving tree leaves in the sun" setting (though some clouds blocked the sun every other minute).

Alas, cluster v3 aborted recording not only in 720p60 after a few seconds (with camera requiring power-cycle, not just write abort), even recoding in 24H aborted in that scenery after only a few seconds. (Therefore, I cannot comment on the image quality of 720p60 or 24H.)

HBR (30p) did not abort, but (at ~50MBit/s) doesn't look too well - see attached screen shot, where many of the moving leaves lack detail.

(All tests done on a freshly formatted SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s.)

cluster_v3_hbr_moving_leaves.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @kazuo I'm not sure I'd completely go along with that Kazuo. There are a lot of unbelievable patches. Nick is a wizard.

Many are specialty though and as far as all around use...I think I'd have to agree that those two and Sanity are the top choices.

• Sir Driftwood, could you please clarify what does it mean "5 seconds high detail, longer less detail". I am talking about the Mysteron Burst Mode specifically. Thank you.

• There are only two patches worth looking at right now for HBR: Cluster V3 and FlowMotion V2.1 Both render movement and colours well at reasonable bit rate to storage ratio.

• In MJPEG for Cluster v3 does anyone else have an issue with the GH2 not correctly interpreting remaining time on the card? I have the 32gb 95mbs card and it tells me I only have 2 minutes of footage. I can squeeze about 2 and half minutes before it stops recording and when it finishes writing to the card it tells me I have 2 minutes left.

This is a great patch, this is the only problem from keeping me using it all the time.

• Driftwood, would it be possible to create a high res high quality MJPEG at 4:3 so people with 2x anamorphic lenses can get 2.39:1. From what I understand cluster v3 creates 2K MJPEG but it's aspect ratio is 1.778. I'd love a high quality 4x3 MJPEG.

What's the feasibility of such a thing?

Thanks for all you do.

• I'd say this answers my question about noise with Cluster 3. This was taken with a Canon 50mm Nifty 50 lens, The full moon was up and there was some shore lighting. Smooth -2, 24P.

• I have Quantum-X 4d seti loaded in GF2 and testing. Is it difficult for an individual like me, with no understanding of programming, to load Pasadena Pulse audio settings to this patch?

• Does Cluster V3 span on 30MB/s cards in 24H, HBR, SH, ETC?

• @driftwood, which of your patches have the best and most stable 720p setting for pal and ntsc in your opinion?

• @shian both should work under the newer ptools without problem. 3.65d does indeed allow it to enjoy some of the newer facilities found in the release such as scaling tables of Sedna etc... The updated version of Quantum 9b is now on the download thread on page 1.

• If I could have a wish I would wish an updated version of your "SpanMyBitchUp" settings. Its my favourite setting as it also works with many SD cards. SpanMyBitchUp is your lowest bitrate INTRA codec, isn't it? Maybe you can incorporate into it some of your new discoveries from the other settings? Thanks so much.

• Ive always seen less blocking in the shadows on my Intra settings.

• @Driftwood I took a lot of very low light video tonight with Cluster V3. It's much, much better than any of the version 2's.

• @driftwood, thanks. As I mentioned in the other thread, I didn't mean to make it sound like a competition or to imply that either patch was better or worse. Both of you guys have really gone over and above the call of duty on this. I like both patches for different reasons. I was simply asking a specific question due to my lack of knowledge about the blocking in the shadows, trying to understand something that really seems to jump out at me.

• @driftwood Does the Quantum 9b post mean, as of right now, I can't use the old 9b settings on the newer pTools without bricking the cam, or does it just not have all the functionality (HBR, etc...)?

• @svart As you probably are aware I spent months looking at GOP3 (thank you Kae!) [*taking Kae's idea further with my GOP3ILLA series and 132M patches of old!] before dedicating myself to discovering Intra on the GH2 and getting it working correctly. Before my discoveries I was never satisfied with the results of how 3GOP or longer GOPs opened up the full potential of the dynamic range of the GH2. We all know the GH2 isn't the best when it comes to DR but there definitely seemed a shortfall in the existing hacks - enough for me to go off in search of something better and after many sleepless nights I managed to achieve visually better DR than what I was seeing already, with my Intra stuff. However, I knew it would be costly on bitrate. AVC Intra works best at 100mbps, Pro Res gets going around 147mbps (an Intra codec) - the HQ codec is intraframe encoding which ensures consistent quality in every frame, with no artifacts from complex motion. Finally, in the NLE, Intra editing whether natively or 'Pro Res converted', speeds up the editing process. With GOP3 and longer I know the decoding of native inter frames takes longer - sometimes a lot longer. There's arguments for both IIntra and Inter frame encoding. Each have there benifits adn theres a lot of iinfo around the web and here to tell you about them.

So we've arrived at a max of 154Mbps data rate on the Quantum series of settings. In all this time I've looked at 24p Intra - scrupulously going over and infinitely tuning bitrate sizing, frame buffers, Quantisation, DC coeffecients, deblocking, pixel peeping, gradiing, etc.. you may ask 'would I go back and do it all again or stick with GOP3 or longer?' Well, I think you know the answer - for me the proof is in the pudding with so many great films and footage out there made with Intra 24p on the GH2. Its a pleasure to work with - SOMETIMES you may get more sensor noise than you would want - but thats not to say that a hi bitrate longer GOP doesnt give you sensor noise too! (Ive seen it in GOPZILLA, Flowmo - and Ive seen it my Cluster 120mbps GOP6 setting) A lot of this is down to ISO settings and getting the lighting right - its the nature of the beast that is the GH2's m4/3 sensor. Motion artefacts are in ALL GOPs too (and most cameras) - believe.

The battle for HBR&720p has yet to be won - even though some of us already know the limits...

But enough spiel or technobabble - Let YOU be the judge of what you like - its your personal view - they're your eyes. If you are happy with Stock, bkmwcd GOPZILLAs, Flowmos, Quantums, cbrandins, sanity, or whatever, then you bought the GH2 for the right reason - making films.

• @Zaven13 Thanks! At least I know what cards to take with me. I hate it when I get to where I'm going and forgot the right card...(Once in a while I forget all of them).

• @driftwood. Nick, just did a quick test of the CL v3 with fairly detailed nature scenes. Panny 14-140mm AFC, OIS in Nature mode. Image quality looks great on all modes (NTSC). The one difference between CLv2 and CLv3 is that in CLv3 with Sedna matrix 720p SH mode generates higher bitrates (above 60mb/s) that causes immediate write errors for Sandisk extreme 30mbs cards. The H mode however works fine and generates bitrates of around 50mbs. I am really looking forward to your CLv3-Sedna Crossfire with Sedna GOP1 for 24p. Thanks again for the great work.

• Cluster 3......I just finished the rising moon over the Bay, test of 2f last night, which was a failure. I videoed beside my XA10 and the dusk video was splendid, the just dark video was wonderful and the dark with the moon rising had enough noise to wake the dead in all settings. Much more than the XA10.

I bought a second GH2 which will come today so I can do some side by side tests and I'm loading Version 3 now.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions