Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • SLRmagic believes that it is worth mentioning that my lens will not go back to stock, instead it will be used as a "display lens" only. The "restocking fee" just covers shipping and PayPal costs of the producer.

Still I guess "restocking fee" for lens that does not operate as it should is not a proper strategy. Anyway I am so much happy getting refund.

• dream_beam, i believe you have every right to a FULL refund, there should be no cost to you if the manufacturer has admitted the lens will not be sold again as it doesn't operate as it should.

I for one will be steering clear of anything SLRmagic in future.

• I'm having a back and forth with Andrew from Noktor right now. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. Seems they have shipped the lens to me without any notification at all. It's funny how I only found this out because I wanted my money back and posted here. Did anyone else get shipment notification?

• yes, with tracking number and all

• About the reversed focus ring. When i ordered mine i was told by noktor that they were just about to introduce the 'cine' version with reversed focus and that I could choose to get that one, which I did. They said the made it because of videographers asking for it.

• I send the Slr magic back as a D.O.A , they tested the lens and had no infinity focus problem. Is Noktor right and is it a GH2 problem? I phone them tomorrow to ask on which camera they tested the lens. They want to send me another Slr but I'm not sure if I want the lens.

• Perhaps they could provide pics/video that shows they're not having the issue?

• Just some thoughts:

I wonder if this infinity focus problem is more of a not-perfectly-alligned-glas-elements-problem. If one side is worse than the other....tilt shift lenses come to mind (the plane of sharp focus is crossing the sensor, not beeing parallel to it). If one of the several glas elements in the lens are not perfectly in line and perfectly parallel to the sensor, one will get a good infinity focus in one spot but not the rest of the picture. If the lens is only tested with one process/machine (e.g. with laserbeams) the result might be "good" without giving proper focus when taking a real picture. Some other effects decribed here point in the same direction (black corners,..).

• @vicharris They absolutely sent me both a shipping notification and a tracking number.

@RawB While I suppose the fault could be in our camerras, I used the lens on both a GH2 and an Olympus E-PL2, so it doesn't seem to be a problem limited to the GH2. Also, none of the initial reviews from when the lens was announced mentioned the problems we've encountered. It seems more likely to me that SLR Magic has produced a bad batch of lenses and doesn't want to acknowlege the fact - perhaps because as @Psyco suggests, what ever internal testing they do does not pick up on the defect.

• Andrew emailed me and he said that since the GH2 is a prosumer camera, that it's mount is not built add well as the AF100. The mount comes loose and causes all the problems. So what I get out of that is that the Noktor lens we made for professional cameras only. He said after every person who claimed of focus sent the camera back to panasonic to be repaired, the lenses worked. Sounds weird to me. Anyone here have to send their GH2 back? They also said that they shouldn't have to warn GH2 users about this. Andrew likened it to telling someone who buys a car that they need to change the oil. Not a very customer support response and kind of off base if you ask me.

• Here's another test for infinity focus (outdoor setting):

• Also, it appears as though their system had an error with my email and UPS causing me not to be notified of shipment. Since I didn't hear anything I asked for it to be cancelled. He now says, even with the admission of the error, that I can send it right back to them, pay for shipping of course and no more than a 20% restocking fee! Are they f*#@king kidding? They admitted a problem and still expect the customer to pay over $100 for the return? There's a problem here and Andrew is watching these boards. I would suggest nobody orders this lens until they can try it out on their own camera.

• @fosterchen How does that look at home on your computer? Can't really tell on crappy youtube. The Tokina 11-16 looks like it blows this away from this video IMHO.

• Can everyone who has infinity focus issues state how old their GH2 model is? This might prove to be good info to determine if camera age has an effect on the infinity focusing.

• I hope I'm not being to much of a dumbass here since I don't even have the lens yet. The fact that so many people have problems and that I can't cancel due to an error by them has me kind of geared up. Also the fact that he is blaming all the problems on GH2 cameras is sort of weird. Anyone try theirs out on a AF100?

• Same Video on Vimeo, so you can download original file.

• @fosterchen That's a good idea. I got my GH2 earlier this month. I got it through e-bay from Shueido, they separated out the 14-140 mm lens from the kit and sold me the rest as new. I can't say how long ago it was manufactured. Is there a way to tell from the serial number (WE1GA001178)?

• Has anyone tried sending an e-mail to Panasonic about this yet? I will try contacting them this evening.

• I'll call em tomorrow too to see if it's some sort of normal issue as SLR states. I've used my GH2 on one shoot and this body is pretty new so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm going to head to Samy's when it comes in and do a test on their shop AF100. That should settle the issue!

The returns and customer service issue seems to be a problem regardless of the situation. They make a mistake and I have to pay over $100 for their error? Really?

• @fosterchen Going to download the file and check it out right now

• I bought mine GH2 (pal version) in november 2011, it was te body + 14-140mm kit. Serialnr: WE1FA001197 The infinity focus problem shows better on a photo than on video. Will send an e-mail to Panasonic NL later today. The test I did was NOT with original Firmware.

• Just talked to Pana and they checked with upper support management and they've never heard of the lens mounts being loose. Not sure if they are just hiding info because I haven't dealt with their customer support in that manner. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me from Noktor. I would hold off buying one of these lens unless it's from a brick and mortar still till this is figured out.

• Sounds like a bunch of BS to me from Noktor.

+1

I guess the ultimate test is someone sending both lens and GH2 back to noktor for testing and see what they come up with...

• @dtr I wouldn't trust any tests at Noktor. My lens should be in today, maybe. I'll test it in the real world and see what happens since it seems like it's going to cost me $150 just to send it back to them even if I don't open it! Great customer service!! Like I said, I'll try to get over to samys camera and test it out there. I would love for this lens work but too many people are having problems. Who here had a good working production lens they've received in the past few months?

• Its not the camera mount. There are many fast wide lenses out there, e.g. the Oly 12 F2.0 or 14(-35) F2.0 - which is heavy as hell and does foucs to infinity without problems even with the m4/3-4/3 adapter in between. If there were problems with the GH2 mount, the forums would be flooded by complains.