Personal View site logo
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • @Alfi666 , well maybe they will release a GH3 Pro version :-) AF101 is considered a pro and have MFT ... ?!

• @RRRR: True is, that if you compare it to the 14-140 it is not that expensive... as for a standard 10x zoom the 14-140 is expensive as well...

It is also true that those are 2 different markets, but m4/3 is considered as consumer format and I'm just surprised that a consumer product is priced in the "PRO" range and customers are still happy about the price.

It's like when you'd buy a Toyota in price of BMW and still be quite happy about the price :) Just my 2 cents..

• Just wondering how come the edge MTF at 12mm goes to 50 all the way from f/2.8 to f/8. Also, the central MTF at 35mm maintains 70 up to f/5.6. Normally they should fluctuate or have some tendency to increase or decrease. Something wrong?

• @Alfi666

Comparing it to a FF lens is kind of moot as that is outside the existing m43 market. Maybe you think they should compete on the same terms but IMO they are two different kinds of tools. Although the Panny f2.8 is slightly slower than the OLY f2 zoom, it goes wider and compares favourably in terms of resolution and especially so in terms of portability.. not to mention price.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev that is very much true.

I was thinking about the Olympus 12mm as a perceived "sharp" / neutral lens when compared to the slr magic and how this new zoom pretty much stomps all over them in terms of resolution @ 12mm (it performs very well troughout the range). Also if comparing it to the wider 7-14mm, (although you cannot go as wide) it certainly performs better @ 12-14mm. It becomes a much more interesting candidate for certain kinds of jobs apart from the obvious portability benefits.

In this light the price does not seem that steep at all, but perhaps the focal length range could have been 10mm-30mm instead?

• Hmm... well... it is priced as Canon 24-70 2.8 L which is just able to cover the FF sensor and not just only m4/3.. I understand that everyone is so excited, as there was no glass for m4/3 like this until now.... but let's be realistic, it should cost about half as much as the price of the lens comes from quality of optical glass & design... and making a light constant F number glass for smaller sensor should be obviously cheaper then for FullFrame... it should have been at least F2.0 .. to be comaprable with such Olympus zooms...

• @RRRR

Good thing to remember is that you must compare prime and zoom T stops, not F stops. So, prime is not only faster in F stops, but usually transmission is better.

• Quite impressive optical performance! This will surely make up for a relatively slow lens. Considering what Olympus want for their 12mm, Panasonic will sell a lot of these!

• Here comes video sample:

• Up to my armpits in m4/3's so what's one more lens.... ,!!

• This is going to be one hell of a lens. I bet MicroFour Thirds will really launch now with the GH3 coming up, D5 in stores and this lens and the 35-100 coming up. Tech is getting smaller and I like that.

• Wow, finally it's coming. Looks like an awesome piece of glass - makes me extra curious a out GH3 too. After lugging around these massive 24-70 FF zooms, this is like a dream come true - especially for my arthritic right hand.

• Does anyone know if the OIS function will work on the GH1... Cheers

Of course. They tested it on GF1 as I understand.

• Does anyone know if the OIS function will work on the GH1... Cheers

• I'll buy that the second it hits the shelves!

• With that price and say if panasonic decides to offer this as a kit lens with the GH3, then I am seeing something in the range of $1999 to $2199 with the GH3. When is this lens suppose to go on sale? This looks like a good glass.

• Lens is weather sealed and.. upcoming GH3 body will be also sealed.

Expected price is $1199.

Just for comparison Olympus 12mm: