Personal View site logo
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • @cinemon did you shoot that on film???????? :() Looks great! doesn't look like it's from a dslr at all (2 thumbs up)

edit: Please share!

• @cinemon Wow!!! That looks like film, you have to upload a video clip from that video shoot.

• @mrttt Great job the 5dtoRGB version is much cleaner, and crisp keep the videos coming.

• Lately I have been doing some work for a fashion magazine. I've used the GH2 to shoot and test making videos that are meant to be watched full screen on an iPad3 (retina display) in vertical mode. It's an interesting format. These are meant to be quick. Unfortunately I don't have a pro account so their not the best resolution but you get the idea. This was shot last month so I'm not exactly sure what patch I used though I think it was Dark Matter V3. It's also been twixtored but I'm surer you could tell that.

• cinemon -> looking great, what lens did you use?

• @mrttt I can highly recommend to go for a manual WB and check a short test on your laptop immediately. It takes 15 min first but will save you hours in grading later on. Apart from that you might not get the result you were aiming at if your corrections are too heavy. First thing I learned in DSLR video "we fix it in the post" isn't valid for 4-2-0 codecs. Unfortunetaly I learned it on the hard way by spoiling a shoot.

• @all here is a small snippet from a wedding. The two postet fotos above are from this video. I used Quantum x v2 patch with the pana 14-140mm smooth -2 shutter 1/50 manual wb.

vimeo compression is very bad, you can download the original file.

in my optionion the imagequality is very near to film, but the motion is nothing like that. why is motion from film or maybe red so much better than on dslr's?

has it all to do with camera angels and smooth camera pans and moving? or is it something other?

what do you think?

passwort : driftwood

• hey @all - i need some advice on the new patches since orion. i leave to nairobi next week (15th) and will work again on the future megacities project. i liked the constant bitrate of orion v4b and the image quality it gives. maybe the new footage will be cut together with the one of this documentary here ( http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2730/future-megacities-the-ignis-project-documentary ). so, should i stay with orion v4b or change to mysterion or canis? it would be great if some of you would state their thoughts in the other thread. Thank you all!

• @thougts2uk What do you mean by safe test? I haven't tried out the CM Night setting yet. I'm doing a test tonight maybe, ill post it when I'm done.

• @Spiel77 If you are shooting 24H and want to change from Orion, I would use either Sedna or Canis Majoris, not Mysteron. The only time I choose Mysteron is for shooting in modes other than 24H .

As far as Canis Majoris Night, it has been holding up very well in my testing and I have yet to encounter a sitaution where it performs badly (like people keep leading me to believe it will). In addition to night or lowlight shots, it has held its own in sun-drenched daytime exteriors and at magic hour, as well as in the (admittedly limited) testing involving human subjects.

That said, the colors call for a slightly different grade than with Orion, so if you have really found your rhythm there, it may be easier to stay with Orion or less of a shift to move to Sedna (note that I find no clear advantage to either Q20 vs. AQ1 overall in my tests) either A for slightly more detail or C for slightly less.

If I wanted high image qualit with "no surprises" on a paid jon tomorrow, I would feel most comfortable with Sedna A or Sedna C (Q20 or AQ1 would not matter to me). C would be my choice if there were any women in the shot that prepared to look good, Sedna A for anything else. But once I started with one I would use the other for the rest of the day (so C for any human shoot that was not girtty and A for any shoot without humans or gritty shoot with humans).

• @cinemon it has very nostaligic feel to me. I am still a baby at this, so I will leave it at that.

• Has anyone tweeked the VY Canis Majoris Settings to work on a Transcend card?????

• @leejb4 Could you be more specific? There is a big difference between their class 6 SDHC and their 64GB SDXC, for instance.

• I've tried every one of these Canis Majoris patches with the Sandisk 64gb 95MB/s SDXC card. 1080 24p works magnificently on all of them (they look truly incredible on 24p), but now I need a good 720/60p for some slow motion. Unfortunately all of these fail with the dreaded "Motion Recording was Cancelled Due to the Limitation of the Writing Speed of the Card" stopping the whole show. Am I alone in this camp? I have the best available card so was hoping these patches (the best I've seen so far) would have the best 60p. What would folks recommend?

• using sandisk extreme 8gb 30 mb/s and 16gb 95 mb/s cards I have had only two write speed errors at 720p. Both were during extreme motion after just starting up the camera, and this is out of about 100 gb of recordinng.

• @digger If you record first in 24p for a few secs then switch to 720p you'll have no issues with errors. I havea custom setting for 720p and another for 24p to make it quick to record when I need slow mo.

• @digger Mysteron will give you the best chance of avoiding write speed errors in 720P out of the recent Driftwood settings.

• @thepalalias Strangely I had frequent write speed errors with Mysterion in 720p, but none with Orion 4b. I've noticed other times where constant bit rate patches performed better than variables in 720p as well. Has anyone else had this experience?

• despite advice to the parameters to -2, f4 aperture or below, shutter 50, except in brief inside, outside, it does not pass ... :/ I did not try Orion 4b, with my 64gb card has 95MB / s

none of the hacks has Broadband goes into 720p, 60i. after if there are SD card with which it goes ... I'm not against it: D

• @gokuan003 @mee Odd about Mysteron.

Well here is the list of settings I used for 720P. - Mysteron: Very stable for me so far. I do not remembe whether I used 50p or 60p more.r - Sedna : Less stable than Mysteron but great image quality. - Orion: I did not shoot much 720P with it so I do not remember. - Sanity: Very reliable and good image quality for the bitrate by Ralph B. - Driftwood settings before Quantum X: Lots of problems for me, especially with SMBU V1. I seem to remember that the higer bitrate Quantum v5 and v9b were more stable in 720p on my cards than SMBU v1.

So basically, if nothing else is working for 720p, I would try Sanity V5. I originally started using Sanity when I had trouble with the 720p in early Driftwood settings and it has done well on a variety of cards for me. I shot hours of 50p and 60p in Sanity v3 and 3.1 but only a couple hours with Sanity 5 spread out over a few shoots. It has done wonderfully with it so far, though.

• @thepalalias it may have been 720p ExTele that was creating the trouble with Mysteron. I will likely be going back to Mysteron for a bit since my hard drives are all full, so I need something to keep my files small till I can afford to get another Hard drive. BTW, I checked around for the Silcon Power cards today. All I could find was some 8GB SDHC class 10's. The shop I thought I saw them at no longer has the display up, so it may have been a promo deal. Next trip to Akihabara I am sure I can hunt them down.

• Thepalalias @ thank you for all these precisions, I can try it out :) Too bad the hack does not take care of everything in a single parameter. So I will test soon Sanity.

• @Mee Ah, that makes more sense. :)

@Gokuan003 Best of luck!

• @vas907 thanks for the tip on recording a few seconds in 24p before switching back to 720/60p. This seems to work. Does everyone do this?

• @cinemon

Part of it has to do with CMOS sensors in general, another in how the sensor performance is tuned for motion (which is important), and lastly how you move the camera.

I think the GH2 gets pretty close when set up properly etc, but sometimes I can still see it.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions