Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • I'm looking for good quality lens has 14mm, for a price below $ 500 :D

• @thepalalias Canon EF-S 10-22mm, it's not bad! ;) For cons I fear that there is deformation in the movement

• @gokuan003 Lumix 14mm pancake is the best

• @xavieramelio It also comes from Hong Kong for about the same price. I think it´s not a fake, are all taked from a boundle. The problem are the costumer fees..

• yes I saw that the prices from China was not expensive ... it's tempting! after the quality of the optics must not be ... Made in Japan :/

• I'm hoping to do some greenscreen with Night this weekend, have just put it on the camera.

I don't suppose we're going to be seeing a specific CM Green Screen version are we? :)

• So no answers once again??

• @fohdeesha I think some of the energy got re-directed by the discussion of different chroma/interpolation approaches. No need to get frustrated that people may not have felt sure about what to post after the reaction the first response. I say this not as a criticism, but as an explanation for the lack of response.

You mentioned that you had not had to set the key this wide. Perhaps if you could document setting the key under similar conditions for different cameras/settings it would be easier for those who modify the settings to try to ascertain a solution. As it is, it may be difficult intuit what combination of factors is causing the issue.

So if you shoot the exact same controlled light scene with different settings (but the same light) and possibly a camera that handles it in a away you like better (preferrably with the same lens or at least the same framing, shutter speed and ISO) it should be a lot easier to diagnose. Best of luck getting assistance to figure out the problem.

• @ChainsawFilms @Driftwood Actually that would AWESOME IDEA!! to have CM GreenScreen- version, since the GH2 greenscreen capability is not too good at the moment. 5D still kicks GH2 ass when it comes to GS shooting. GH2 low level noise and pretty dominant GREEN CHANNEL/GREENISH TINT overall causes some problems with greenscreen.

Driftwood, what do you think?

• I am preparing a green screen version of the CM matrix which will help as best as we possibly can. It wont solve all issues though. Im going to be releasing the other CM settings this week.

• Love your work @drift!...

• @xavieramelio @gokuan003 @Kihlian I bought it. Its made in Japan. Its perfect.

• I hope my small donation helps :) Thanks @driftwood, Vitaliy_Kiselev and all the others helping out

ps: i dont want this to sound like a stupid question but i Just tried using the VY Canis Majoris 'Night' patch with the Voigtlander 25mm but my videos never look as sharp as the others users. Checked the focus, F-stops and everything else and results are still the same.

thanks and i hope im not bothering anyone

Both videos were no longer than 1 minute

1 = 5.6f - iso 160 ( weird effects while playing on the computer)

2 = 2.8 - iso 160

00001_17.05.2012 12.20.54 AM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    00004_17.05.2012 12.22.01 AM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @Estie your videos are showing heavy interlacing, are you using the HBR mode or 60i? If so, how are you processing them?

• @duartix Yeah i was using the HBR mode, also im in Australia so i use the PAL format. does that make any difference?

• Ps: Using a 16GB SanDisk Extreme pro 95MB/s and editing the raw files in premiere pro

• @driftwood I am very interested into a setting optimized for greenscreen!

@Estie There is a huge difference between 1080i 50/60 modes and 1080p24. You can record 24p and later speed up to 25 FPS if you want to create DVD or Bluray from it. Your interlaced footage can be deinterlaced to play back on a computer.

• @driftwood...I would love to see an optimized green screen patch too...you could call it "the Green Lantern"...:)

• @Estie did u r cam playback had same problem.,,how this clip looks in your camera?? did u played them??? this happens with 1080i but i don't know how this could be possible in hbr??? did u tried 24p after this??

• @blackspot

IN regards to greenscreen, GH2 keys MUCH better than 5D in my experience. You simply have to either balance the green cast out in camera or in post before you key and you have to get the subject further away from the green in general.

The 5D makes it easier out of the box, you can separate the subject and background by shooting a wider aperture, but if you can adjust for these things then yeah, the GH2 is much better for keying/compositing.

• @blackspot after sedna was rep leased gh2 separates color better than 5d. infact 5d mark 3 footage is not comparable to sedna A footage,.. gh2 killed 5d mark 3 in every aspect grading color specification ad details. as sir @driftwood now gonna release a green screen version it would be 10 times better than 5d mark 3 green screen shots,.. 100% you can be very sure that it would do well in keying and graphic composing

• @rajamalik Playback is fine i only see the heavy interlacing on the computer. i did try 24p and it was better does this mean 24p is progressive ?

sorry just trying to catch up with all the info

• @Estie P=progressive and i stays for Interlaced. To be precise the 25p mode on the GH2 is in fact a 50i internal rewrapped to 25p, but it´s only for this case. It´s better to shoot 24p or in the 720 modes this looks almost the same of the 1080 modes. Try to compare the same shoot on 1080 and 720 in two different layers on Photoshop or Gimp you can´t see differences in resolution..

• @Kihlian oh ok sweet! thanks for that...a bit confusing, this is all new for me but i apologize for my ignorance

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions