Personal View site logo
Trimming clips, making selections in .MTS files and exporting them
  • I am currently exploring VJ software to create visual installations instead of narrative movies. For this, I am looking for tools to quickly trim clips I shot down to a few seconds and save them in a format of choice. I have tried this in Final Cut Pro X but it is cumbersome. Is there simple tool/player in which you can open a MTS, set an in- and out point and export the selection as a new clip in one of the codecs available on the Mac? I remember that QuickTime Pro used to be able to do this. Any other tools that you have had great succes with? As I will be shooting lots of footage the coming months, it must be quick and painless. Looking forward to your tips!
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • Hello all. I use PrPro CS6 on an iMac running 10.7.5, which is the only equipment/software I have access to for the time being. I am working on a project that is almost exclusively from .mts files. Thanks to the .mts file format, I cannot take advantage of the trim features in Project Manager in PrPro. I'd really like to trim as much as I can from the beginning and end of these files with zero loss, since I'm assuming that's the best I can hope for. I'm not necessarily looking for a free solution, but something reasonable/practical. Has anyone had success with the various solutions mentioned in this thread for the Mac/PrPro crowd?

• There is no good editing software that will operate on MTS files without recompressing. If you want to do anything more complicated than trimming some footage from the beginning and end of a clip, you'll just have to live with the lossy recompression and conversion that NLE software does. (or uses a lossless format, which creates huge files that probably can't even be played without specialized hardware) If your output is the same resolution as the input and you compress to a high enough bit rate, the loss will not be noticeable. Almost every great video you've seen from the GH2 was made this way.

• Morning, I have looked at some of the editing suggestions here at this site. I use CS 5 Premiere Pro where I have to give up the .mts file and end up with mpg or some other compressed format. I am trying to learn to live with quality loss, Sharp edges, beautiful focus, machines or people, not adding softness, etc but a clear uncompressed file. straight .mts to mts. Any clues? This small unit has opened so many doors that is is screwed when you have to settle for less when cutting.

• Best workflow I've found so far on OS X 10.6.8 is, as you can see from my spreadsheet linked above, along these lines:

00001.mts -> 00001.mov (via Clipwrap, set to rewrap & to preserve timestamps) ->00001.mov (trimmed using QuickTime Player)

The snag with this approach is that QuickTime Player completely overwrites the existing 00001.mov, which means that the ctime (the timestamp indicating when the file was created) of the file gets set to the time the trimmed file was saved, instead of being kept at the time the original video was shot.

Therefore, I've created a little Ruby script called touchstamp that can be used to extract the original ctime from the .mov file's metadata and write it to the file so that the ctime is once again correct. The idea is that having rewrapped a directory full of .mts files and having also trimmed any of the resulting files that needed trimming, the script can be executed once in that directory and it will ensure all the .mov files' ctimes are correct.

No guarantees it will work for you, but it works for me :) You can find it here: https://github.com/sampablokuper/touchstamp

• Just used SimpleMovieX, to trim and export and I works! The somewhat limited trial version will work for basic trimming and saving.

• @markmark1 No idea. Google it.

@spk Good. ClipWrap/QT rule.

• Some results from testing various workflows with 720p25 AVCHD Lite video from G2 on OS X 10.6.8: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AiSjOiSpxqSddE12MjhDVDFNdnVJVXFoNkNfc2NjSUE&single=true&gid=12&output=html

• @stonebat

I got a missing codec error when trying to open a flowmotion file in QT10

• QT 10 can trim and merge MOV files like butter losslessly.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4024?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• @hireslofi thank you, I also have a Quadro 2000

• @MrEdd the yellow line in Premiere just means that it might not be playable in real time. Do you have a CUDA enabled GPU? If so Premiere will play back yellow line material fine. If not it may struggle. I import MTS and the yellow line shows but it plays back perfectly with nVidia Quadro 2000.
  • @cjdincer
    you set the in & out points in Resolume or with Aunsoft Video Converter? I think MPEG streamclip works the same as well. And yes, I am converting to DVX although I might want to create a master .MTS file (or ProRES) file first so I can use it as stock footage in my other projects as well.
  • I use Resolume Avenue 3.3.1 and by setting in and out points, I convert the GH2 MTS files to DVX with Aunsoft Video Converter. Had no problem at all. and why do you need a native AVCHD trimmer if you'd convert to DVX
  • thank you balazer
  • @MrEdd, I use Vegas, which happily takes HBR files and requires no extra rendering for them (beyond what any other progressive clip would require).

Frankly I'm not clear on what all of this benign PsF vs. malignant PsF business is. PsF does not simply mean that the video is being disguised as interlaced, as that author says. PsF means that the video has been *converted* to interlaced, and delivered in an interlaced encoding, albeit in such a way that the original progressive video can be recovered. I take it that in the case of benign PsF, software applications have a way of knowing that they are looking at PsF. But no one has said how they can know, and it's not clear that what they are doing generalizes across all different source videos correctly.
  • I haven't used it myself, but Voltaic claims to be able to trim AVCHD natively without conversion.
    http://www.shedworx.com/voltaichd
  • Mac OS X users:

I emailed Colin with ClipWrap about including trimming on a future version - he said it is being considered for version 3.0. Fingers crossed.
  • I still haven´t found away to import HBR 25p files to premiere CS5.5 without seeing the yellow line that needs render. Is it out there anything similiar to Clipwrap to PC? (Update) I tried smart cutter and tsMuxeR but still havent found a way to the yellow render line don´t appear. @balazer what settings do you use?
  • Thanks, @valdi99. I tried Final Mate, and the output files play but they crash Sony Vegas.

BTW I updated my earlier post to say that Smart Cutter now seems to work.
  • http://www.aunsoft.com/final-mate/

Trial version is far enough for loosless trimming.
  • I just tried Smart Cutter on Gh2 mts, worked like a charm. Guess since the file is gop 1 there will be no degradation at beginning and end. Great tool for killing garbage before going into PP.
  • Mac users can 'ClipWrap' it to Quicktime wrapped (keeps mts as was but in a new wrapper), Open the newly wrapped file in say MPEG_Streamclip, trim it, export to Pro Res or whatever.
  • I had tried Smart Cutter on GH1 files a while back, and it always crashed. The new version seems to be improved, working on my GH1 and GH2 files. I still don't trust it enough to not keep the source files. I trust tsMuxeR a bit more.
  • Thanks for the smart cutter tip. This soft looks like exactly what you need to get rid of all the garbage at the beginning and end of your footage without loosing quality by recompression. Will check out when at home. :)