Personal View site logo
Old Panasonic HDC-SD1 cameras

Available from few sellers for $340 now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Camcorders-/11724/i.html?_stpos=&_fcid=168&gbr=1&_localstpos=&_nkw=HDC-SD1&_clu=2

Many modern camcorders are better :-)
    Including Panasonic ones.
    But I suggest you to try this one.
    It is bigger, quality of manufacturing is better comparing to any modern camcorder.
    3xCCD camcorder, so some advantages are also present.
    Has good mikes, mic input, manual settings (shutter, etc).
    Bitrate is low, really.

• 23 Replies sorted by
  • Yep,. i still have a few of those, bought them for the 3CCD (no Jello), i used them in situations where there was a lot of camera movement (like shooting from the back of a JetSki etc). No jello, but lot's of artifacts from low bitrate (13Mbps CBR) and 1080i. Colors were nice. These used to be hired out by Pro camera rental shops they were highly regarded for B cam or small spaces camera.

• I have DX1, one that writes on DVD :-) But it has viewfinder.

• This was my camera befre the GH2. I still have it and use it as kindof B cam. My kids allo use it.

• The best of this lot was the HDC-SD9 with 24p/25p. I still have a couple for a test 3D rig. These output xv.ycc color which is currently clipped by the Hyperdeck. When an HDMI 3D recorder that supports xv.ycc comes out. I will use this.

• Anyone that has one with a Hyperdeck shuttle or Ninja care to test the HDMI out? I know my old cam, the HV20 can do full HDMI, interested if any other camcorder can.

• @CRFilms

They have good HDMI output.
    Just remember that this is cameras based on pixelshift, so overall resolution is not top notch.

@zcream

The best of this lot was the HDC-SD9

As far as I remember SD9 was the worst with 1/6" sensors.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Hi Vitaliy what do you think of Panasonic TM700 & TM900 camcorders range, they are 3xCCD, 1080/50/60p with 28 VBR, Manual Settings, AF, Leica Lens with IS, viewfinder, dolby sound and more. Are they not hackable?

• @kitano

This is wrong topic for your post.
    Camcorders you mentioned are also not 3xCCD, but 3xMOS.
    Non of them are hackable, and none of them will be.

• @Vitaliy The HDC-SD1 had trailing artifacts as well as no progressive recording. The HDC-SD9 removed the artifacts and offered 25P. The lower sensor size IMO is better for 3D, as shallow DOF does not work well in 3D.

• The HDC-SD1 had trailing artifacts as well as no progressive recording.

If you need progressive recording, modern cameras are way better. All old cameras used interlaced wrapper.
    As for trailing artefacts, as I remember it had been in on bad review. Of course, bitrate is low and AVCHD encoder was also not the best, but no horrible things if you understand all restrictions.

• Do they have a Firewire output? If so, it might be useful for streaming business.

• It has HDMI :-) As all other HD video cameras.

• panasonic sd1 is best panasonic camera and also first one hd for public ,i bid one from ebay one from japan in 2007 was i think 900$ ,also was a version only japan sd3 full hd one sd6 was very very bad one :-)

• So just to clarify, the HDMI out can be setup to not have any icons and such? If so I might pick one up for live streaming :)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Why can't they ever be hackable? All I possibly want from my SD9 is just an increased bitrate, isnt that even possible?

• Just to update an old thread. Panasonic Lumix FZ48 gives 1080p with a CCD sensor. Not sure if it has HDMI out.

• FZ48 looks kinda cool. but is it really 1080p? videos on youtube look not very sharp..

• I think all CCDs are 720p max.

• I don't have one but the specs say CCD and 1080p

• From a review :- http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/50989/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz48-review

> The FZ45's 720p AVCHD Lite video mode has been upgraded to AVCHD 1080p (files are encoded as interlaced but the video within is progressive scan). Details were crisp, noise was understated and the focus and zoom motors didn't spoil the high-quality stereo soundtrack. Automatic exposures reacted smoothly to changing light, and there's full access to priority and manual exposure modes for video – a rare feature for a digital stills camera and a crucial one for creative video projects.

• I own a SD9 and I'm so glad such a topic here exist!

From my recollection, when I hooked up the camera via. HDMI, it still looks like crap! Almost as if it was outputting from the AVCHD encoder chip to produce real-time images, and the trailing was still there. This really saddened me because there was so much potential and future uses for this thing! :(

Anyone experience this themselves by any chance?

• Did you select Digital Cinema? That turns on xv.ycc

• From my recollection, when I hooked up the camera via. HDMI, it still looks like crap! Almost as if it was outputting from the AVCHD encoder chip to produce real-time images, and the trailing was still there. This really saddened me because there was so much potential and future uses for this thing! :(

Can be just extreme noise reduction and very long shutter.