Personal View site logo
Official Sony NEX FS700 and FS700r, 4K cameras topic
  • 217 Replies sorted by
  • Man, I want this camera just for the slow motion, and even then it will be totally worth it. For regular 24p stuff, sony has a pretty hard time nailing down any sort of filmic look which is too bad. But this... 480fps...WOW, I'm in.

• @rockroadpix I did not leave them off, though I may have made a typo. I thought Vision was the name of the parent company that made Phantom? If not, I will replace it.

• FS700 480 frame/second test:

• "Super Slowmo is the new Shallow DOF..."

Yes. All work must be super boring F5.6-8 shot at 24 or 30fps. Nobody can stand out. Innovation and creativity is not "professional".

• @thepalalias - you managed to leave one little camera line off your list there. Phantom?

• @alcomposer: But at least it's a bit more useful...

• "Super Slowmo is the new Shallow DOF..."

+1

• @brianluce Super Slowmo is the new Shallow DOF...

• Brace for a the upcoming avalanche of films with super slomo. Take cover!

• i think that bbc evaluation of f3 and fs100 show that sensor looks more like 12mp in binning mode than native 3.5 mp... SNR and color sampling looks more like 5.5 pixel pitch than 12 micron... maybe this is same sensor but now in native 11.6mp mode? https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...VlouAiqsmI-hrA

• @robmneilson: Its a win-win situation for you. :) To me its sort of a big deal that this cam also shoots stills (unlike C300).

• One day, one day.... in the meantime I need to stop watching that video :(

• @Sage Yes, competition in the slow-mo market is always a good thing. Nice to have something cheaper than Vision, Weiss, RED Epic and the fourth one (EDIT:Photron/Fastec/Fastcam) to choose from.

Pixel motion software like Twixtor and MVTools2 are great for low-motion but cannot handle the high motion shots that these excel at.

• The slow motion burst is very compelling and really puts to shame the final no slo-mo Scarlet... I can now rent this instead of certain much more expensive options for super slo motion; intra Gh2 for all else...

• Hopefully it'll have a further impact on the FS100 prices, or 2nd hand market.

• Saving up my money for sure...Im happy and bummed that the announcement came so soon, I barely got to know my FS100!

• Awesomeness.

• Oh fuck... here we go again. I'm going to want to buy this. Well - assuming it's good as it sounds.

• @alcomposer It's a very valid point.. and I don't mind having genlock at all. If anything it's a very easy way to sync equipment. However, the kind of feature I'm talking about wouldn't need to be universal. Nikon have already shown the way, and such a (developable) feature in a high end cam would make a lot of sense.

• will the hdmi output work at 10bit??

• @RRRR I think that we should at least push for tech that exists- let alone tech that is not even mainstream yet... (however admittedly easy to implement - I learned long ago that ease has nothing to do with implementations when standards need to be 'universal')

• Genlock is all fine and dandy and much needed for sub 10k detachable lens cameas.. However I would like to have some kind of uplink which can run by a computer (even a small one) that can synchronize two cameras (and serve as remote control for them). That way you can choose freely between extreme stereoscopic shooting, shooting with a simple mirror rig setup and/or remote control for non-ordinary types of camera placement.

• @VK "I much more pefer cameras specifically designed for 3D. Not with dual lenses, but ones that you can connect via genlock and with design suitable for minimum possible interocular distance."

I never new this! TOTALLY AGREE! Would love these companies to put genlock into sub $10,000 detachable lens cameras... You are totally right VK... this is the way to go!

• For a lot of 3D work, a mirror rig is inevitably necessary. You can get camera bodies . . . even optimized ones . . . only so close, and that's not taking into consideration the size of your lenses' front, which can be pretty big depending . . . This is another reason that global shutter is long past overdue. jello effect is reversed for one camera because of the mirror. Headache, anyone?