Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • Very Nice

• @driftwood Nick! HAHAHAAHAHAHAAH you Nigel Tufnel fan! But seriously... What's the tech advantage of bust mode, please enlighten me, I can't see the greater picture in here...

• @exilenorth Don't know about the GH2 itself, I doubt anything has changed in design since the originals off the conveyor belt. Nothing has changed inside from what I can see. The matrices are certainly more go get 'em than the stock stuff. As to lengthy recordings, well, personally, I don't hardly ever care for spanning in filmic conditions. I stop when the scene cuts - and I havent done many longer than 4 minutes myself. If its docu making then fair enough - some people do require hi quality with spanning... The best sd cards tend to work ok. Mysteron Burst is the highest peaking i frames under INTRA to date though... well, as a release for all...

• Mysteron Bust Mode quick edit. And if you listen closely you can hear my roommate stating that "there's something wrong with me" in regards to all my firmware testing ;). 90% of the shots were stopped manually, but there was little movement so that's to be expected.

• Hello everyone! Could someone please tell me whats the latest and best driftwood patch for the 64 gig SDXC card? Im only shooting 20-30 minutes max at a time and am trying to get the most detail out of the camera.

The naming convention has totally lost me. A good ranking system would be helpful for the end users like me.

shoutout to @driftwood ! I use your stuff on all my music videos

• Testing Mysteron Burst Mode so far Great stuff

Report: got over 45 seconds in 24P with ISO at 640 and 1250 in doors did some test outside in the dark with poor lighting at 640 and 1250 ISO got over 20 seconds but Lighting was poor so i turn up the ISO to 6,400 and 10,000 and 20,000 ISO i got only 6 seconds and 10 seconds

• @thepalalias , @driftwood I am trying to understand something... the problems many have with spanning and burst etc. A 35mm Panavision Gold system magazine carried about 11 minutes of film.... rarely did a director shoot "takes" beyond 5 minutes. Orson Wells was famous for his 11 minute intro on "Touch of Evil", you two gentlemen seem to appreciate, good light, good composition...etc. What type of work are we speaking about, single camera Tennis Match? Also, The GH2 I have is now a year and a half old, it is a solid unit, rarely a problem, if so, reboot, pull the card, I info is safe. Noise..wow wayback 244, Iso 12800, wide open, practically non existent. Are different generations of GH2 prone to different glitches or reactions to your patches? I wonder because of my lack of crashing, monitor statements etc. Different Generations of GH2? Thanks Guys. as we say in the US, your 2 cents would be appreciated.

• @terry2 Have you seen Spinal Tap? Then you'll know the reference to 11.

• @driftwood Hey Nick, 11 seconds, still, what's the advantage compared to normal mysterium?

• First Mysteron burst test: 24H. Long pan shots over trees (night shots). It span correctly.

• The "Eleven" .

• this one goes upto 11 :o)

Nice one Nick I'll give this a try!

• err... this one goes upto 11 ;-)

• @driftwood Hi Nick, what's the difference between normal Mysterion and burst mode. If burst mode is at 1080p24 and can only do 4 seconds, then what's the advantage towards non burst? Thank you

• You'll be thee first! :-)

• @driftwood Oh man, I have to try this. :)

• Mysteron Burst Mode. 900k i frames in Intra sustained 5 secs... And because its variable = often longer recordings. This particular recording shown below lasted 18 seconds and was manually stopped by me. Top recordings at 5 seconds will get you 171Mbps data rate. This could be particularly brilliant for night recordings.

When it runs out of bandwidth the recording will just stop normally. This is probably the GH2 ceiling.

Don't even bother putting in a crap sd card for this one.

Driftwood 'Mysteron' Burst Mode - seti.zip
    mysteron burst mode - v hi quality at burst.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    mysteron burst mode - higher iframes shorter rec times.png
    1290 x 675 - 217K
    900k i frames intra - Driftwood Mysteron Burst Mode at 5 secs.png
    1295 x 679 - 243K
  • @Chief Great best of luck.

@MikhailK Different strokes for different folks. I find it easy to check after each clip since they are only 4 minutes, and I tend to remember. :)

• Thanks @thepalalias - 32GB class 10 SanDisk, AQ1

Digging through http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/526/gh2-stutterjudderstrobe-issues-discussion/p1 right now.

And yes, 60p is satisfactory.

• @thepalalias,

In addition :-) Another example... You take some great shots and suddenly forget about the time limit. Please agree, it can happen. And while you're taking this shot (and you don't plan it to stop) your GH2 says - "sorry, master.... :-)" It was your choice...

• @thepalalias,

Thanx. Everything's clear now.

I totally disagree with you. Knowing how much is left on the card during each recording means a lot to me and for many people!

Just imagine - you made several shots on your card. And suddenly it happens you need to shoot something quickly! For instance, it happens all the time I take some shots of my child. I don't wanna calculate in my mind how much time is REALLY left on the card!

Anyway, some people like it, some don't. It's a matter of taste.

• I think that knowing how many seconds you have left before the shot stops is, overall, more useful than how much is left on that card while recording.

• @MikhailK That is correct. And the recording time would say 230 seconds every time until the memory card had less than that left.

• @thepalalias,

From one point of view I realize that. But... as I said previously, recording time "every time" stayed the same 29mins. Maybe I don't get something here...

Anyway, your thought means that if I set 230 secs for this new "non-spanning file" then after I start recording it will automatically stop recording after 230 secs? or what?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions