Personal View site logo
France: It'll be fucking dark
  • SHOPS and offices will be forced to switch off their lights at night-time under a new energy-saving law.

The law, announced with a barrage of other environmental measures last December, is due to be published in the Journal Officiel in the coming days and come into effect on July 1.

External lights in "non-residential" buildings would have to be switched off between 1.00 and 6.00 - and the Ecology Ministry is talking with traders' and business federations about extending the switch-off to internal lighting.

Turning off both internal and external lighting across France could save the power needed to heat and light 700,000 homes. The measure on external lighting could save the power of 260,000 households.

City centre traders' groups have called for some easing of the restrictions in the grands magasins of the Boulevard Haussmann, Champs-Elysées and in large cities - and also in areas with a lively night life - and the ministry has said it is not opposed.

However, the federation of small businesses CGPME has attacked the proposals for a "curfew" as "irrelevant and unacceptable".

It highlighted safety problems, saying: "People, without any way of knowing if an establishment is open, will be hesitant about going into a hotel, a petrol station, a discotheque or a hospital if the outside is in total darkness.

Via: http://connexionfrance.com/Shops-offices-energy-law-switch-off-Ecology-curfew-13587-view-article.html

More measures are coming by ecology activists, big supporters of closing nuclear plants and authors of food price hikes due to their "natural" fuel programs.

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • Light's out I say.. it would be nice to see the stars again.. maybe even the criminal underworld wouldn't see it as an opportunity to increase their workload, maybe they too would look up in wonderment?

• maybe even the criminal underworld wouldn't see it as an opportunity to increase their workload, maybe they too would look up in wonderment?

Yep, magical things are possible :-)

• I really like the image of thiefs and thugs looking at the night sky as if they were little kids... ;-)

• Sounds like I need to move to france and join the night life. Fits my personality.

• I see murdered tourists in France's future..

• There is a tendency for negative thoughts to bring less than positive outcomes! If we go out looking for trouble you can be sure that you will find it! It is maybe naive to think that we can alienate the negative in society by being more positive in our focus, but I for one think it's worth a try.

• Have you ever been in a small town at night in Europe? Nobody there to look at the lights ;-)

But it will be a pity in Paris!

• I wonder if they have tried implementing energy efficient laws before this one? Like solar panel and low-energy consuming lights as opposed to the too common incandescent lights.

I am a vegetarian, recycling, energy saving hippy but the thoughts of pulling up to dark parking lots still raise some hair on my neck.

• Like solar panel and low-energy consuming lights as opposed to the too common incandescent lights.

Yep. This idiots tried them :-) Sadly they figured out real cost of solar panels produced electricity. But it looks like people still forget to tell them percentage of savings that can be got by banning incandescent lights.

I am a vegetarian, recycling, energy saving hippy

It is quite dangerous explosive mix :-)

Thing I like is that most people outside are meat eating, non-hippies, energy wasting, throwing trash motherfuckers.

• Sure it does. Just like elsewhere. The US will soon be owned by China, if you look at debt and investments. When will they impose their political system on the land of liberty?

• When will they impose their political system on the land of liberty?

I am more interested in the answer to other question.
    What methods will be used to teach US people to speak in chinese language in short time?

• Don't write off the US yet, when they play that song and raise that flag ... anything can happen. But will they get off their ass.

• Time to go make the candles.

• It is not that uncommon for unpayable debts to be paid in lead and gunpowder.

• Oh thank god, we've got LOADS of that in the US!

• One word: CANDLES

• At least, maybe with unrealistic / insufficient ways, France is trying to do something (I doubt that law will pass, because:). China is far from taking into account saving energy and preserving nature, as well as the USA. Problem is that it conflicts with financial interests of global companies who are stuck to let's say "short term profit", "economic liberalism", etc.

• If China has power in numbers, we need power of minds.

Yep, we're fucked.